Help, I may have lost my mind ...

In case anyone skipped over my response to @R18C, I've decided to pass on the Transcontinental. Considering the market, I don't have a good exit strategy for my R18C and I can't justify having both bikes no matter how hard I try. Thanks for all of the help thinking through the decision.

Totally agree. My preference would have been to trade the R18C on the Transcontinental. However, the trade number is gut wrenching. I took advantage of the .9% financing when I bought the R18C and still have a loan on the bike. While I know the purchase is a sunk cost, I would have to write a check for the negative equity; which mitigates the "bargain" of the TC deal. Unfortunately, I don't believe I'll fare much better selling the R18C on my own; especially if we slump into the recession that's promised. While I suspect I would enjoy the TC much more than the R18C, there IS a lot of overlap between the two bikes. Since there is no good exit strategy for the R18C, I'm going to pass on the TC and continue to enjoy my R18C.

It's tough having to struggle through these "first world" challenges! I appreciate everyones help thinking through things!
Yeah,I get it.
When I bought my R18C there was a 1.9% so I figured why use my money?I will pay the small amount of intrest,good deal.Then they got better.
I wanted the C for a sidecar so,I'm not interested in a TC.
Since owning my 18C,I wouldn't buy another one.I do love my bike with sidecar. I just don't like BMW hoops and service they have set.
1) The over priced service which can be tolerated if a person can't do their own service but the price of oil and other parts
2) Their crazy priced G3(GL5 in disguised gear oil) that has a 70/80 spec(MoPar makes a GL5 70/80 for <$25 a qt)
3) The cost of Valve adjustment issue
4) The IDIOT LIGHT for service that the dealear has to turn off(unless you do your own work and purchase the electronics to turn it off yourself)
5) The Key fob with no option to start the bike without it.
6) The worry about not using their fluids/parts or service dept.Kinda Sux.
7) No service manual
Check out and take a demo ride on a Indian Roadmaster if you like the TC.
1) 1 oil 6 qts for engine and trans.
2) No valve adjustment
3) No key fob needed to start the bike.There is a pin program code that you use the turn signal switch pushing in left,right and center numbered sequence.
4) You can buy a service manual plus no secrets.
5) My Springfield has no service lites.
6) The Roadmaster has service reminders that the owner can turn off(yeah for free)
7) Warranty is 2 years unlimited mileage,I have over 8,000 on my Springfield in 3 months( 20,000 on my BMW in 1 year).
8) This is my 3rd Thunderstroke.Put 95,000 on my 2014 and never thought Indian undercut me by devaluing the bike with intrest rates or making $250 payments for 4 months.Last rant,Indian gave the first(2014) year owners a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty to sell there new model.

I know,I will probablly start a $hit storm Here,but it does kinda suck owning a BMW.
Don't get me wrong.These R18s are built like a tank.Hell even the side covers are made of metal.Fit and finish is remarkable. I do love the bike.
The BMW relationship not so much.Sorry,but I found out what BMW stands for:

NO Bitching
NO Moaning
NO Whining
Happy New year and lets see what suprises and secrets BMW has in store for us.

LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
God help me! I have ZERO need for another bike, zip, zero, zilch, nada. But I'm a sucker for motorcycles, and have a particular weakness for bargains. I can buy a new fully loaded TC in Manhattan Metallic for a great price (with current incentives we all can right?). The purchase would put me at four bikes (my wife thinks I should only have one). For reference, my current stable includes an overbuilt 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700, that I use for adventure riding, and as an oversized dirt bike, a 2021 S1000XR that I use for sporty road riding and track days, and a R18 Classic FE that I use for short two-up hops and lazy Sunday rides. The R18 Transcontinental will be used for ... well touring. Truth is, any of the bikes I currently own can pull touring duty with varying degrees of comfort and efficiency, so I don't really need a bona-fide "road sofa".

If there is a question in this inane post it's this; If you have, or had, an R18/R18C, and now own an R18B or R18TC, do you find the ride "experience" to be materially different from the non-faired bike? While I feel the TC will be distinctly different from the R18C that I own, I also have a knack for justifying motorcycle purchases. I haven't demoed the R18TC. I live in Michigan and we've had snow on the ground since I've been seriously considering the bike. I suspect the Transcontinental values will fall as precipitously as the other R18 values have. Consequently, I won't be able to sell it without rendering a "pound of flesh", so the stakes feel relatively high.

Qualitative comparisons of the R18/C to the R18B/TC from other owners are much appreciated!
I do own an R18b and an R18 (acquired in that order) and I can tell you that the riding style of each one is completely different. IMHO, the R18 is super easy to ride and handle in tight spots. The R18b is a tough one. In fact, I would strongly suggest -if possible, that you do test drive the TC for a weekend prior to buying, as the R18B (quite similar to TC) is in my opinion a really great ride for the highway and open roads (eg. nimble, stable, and yes, comfortable) but quite challenging for city driving and garage maneuvering.

Hey kratedisease, your list is impressive. I always like the looks of the HD Rocker, not sure why they got rid of it. I had a 2012 Harley Fat Boy. It had the 103 B engine (counterbalancer) and was smooth as ice. I sold it to my brother who still has it. The chrome rims have the bullet holes.
fatboy2 (1).jpg

Yeah,I get it.
When I bought my R18C there was a 1.9% so I figured why use my money?I will pay the small amount of intrest,good deal.Then they got better.
Since owning my 18C,I wouldn't buy another one.I do love my bike with sidecar. I just don't like BMW hoops and service they have set.
1) The over priced service which can be tolerated if a person can't do their own service but the price of oil and other parts
2) Their crazy priced G3(GL5 in disguised gear oil) that has a 70/80 spec(MoPar makes a GL5 70/80 for <$25 a qt)
4) The IDIOT LIGHT for service that the dealear has to turn off(unless you do your own work and purchase the electronics to turn it off yourself)
7) No service manual
2) No valve adjustment
3) No key fob needed to start the bike.There is a pin program code that you use the turn signal switch pushing in left,right and center numbered sequence.
6) The Roadmaster has service reminders that the owner can turn off(yeah for free)
7) Warranty is 2 years unlimited mileage,I have over 8,000 on my Springfield in 3 months( 20,000 on my BMW in 1 year).
8) This is my 3rd Thunderstroke.Put 95,000 on my 2014 and never thought Indian undercut me by devaluing the bike with intrest rates or making $250 payments for 4 months.Last rant,Indian gave the first(2014) year owners a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty to sell there new model.

I know,I will probablly start a $hit storm Here,but it does kinda sBuck owning a BMW.
Don't get me wrong.These R18s are built like a tank.Hell even the side covers are made of metal.Fit and finish is remarkable. I do love the bike.

NO Bitching
NO Moaning
NO Whining

LOL!
actually...Bring More Money...hum maybe Bring More Women or Bring More Wine...

Last edited:
I didn't recognize the red space capsule bike sitting behind the old black Beemer in the pic of the bikes on the lift.

How can a bike from 1974 be in showroom condition? R2K gets my salute.

God help me! I have ZERO need for another bike, zip, zero, zilch, nada. But I'm a sucker for motorcycles, and have a particular weakness for bargains. I can buy a new fully loaded TC in Manhattan Metallic for a great price (with current incentives we all can right?). The purchase would put me at four bikes (my wife thinks I should only have one). For reference, my current stable includes an overbuilt 2022 Yamaha Tenere 700, that I use for adventure riding, and as an oversized dirt bike, a 2021 S1000XR that I use for sporty road riding and track days, and a R18 Classic FE that I use for short two-up hops and lazy Sunday rides. The R18 Transcontinental will be used for ... well touring. Truth is, any of the bikes I currently own can pull touring duty with varying degrees of comfort and efficiency, so I don't really need a bona-fide "road sofa".

If there is a question in this inane post it's this; If you have, or had, an R18/R18C, and now own an R18B or R18TC, do you find the ride "experience" to be materially different from the non-faired bike? While I feel the TC will be distinctly different from the R18C that I own, I also have a knack for justifying motorcycle purchases. I haven't demoed the R18TC. I live in Michigan and we've had snow on the ground since I've been seriously considering the bike. I suspect the Transcontinental values will fall as precipitously as the other R18 values have. Consequently, I won't be able to sell it without rendering a "pound of flesh", so the stakes feel relatively high.

Qualitative comparisons of the R18/C to the R18B/TC from other owners are much appreciated!
I own twenty bikes at present. If I had space for more, I'd own more. Amongst those are two Buell Lightnings (different models, slightly different engines, entirely different states of tune), two EBRs (different models, same engine in different states of tune), three Victories (different models, same engine but with different engine mods - full Lloydz® vs NOX vs turbo), two Harleys (different models, different engines), two KTMs (different models, same engine in different factory/post-factory states of tune) and three Ducatis (different models, different L-twin engines - desmodue, testastretta and superquadro). No old stuff (not my thing), and only one without fuel injection.

If it got you to the point of discussing the merit of purchasing it on a forum, it must have lit your fire, meaning it should probably have been in your garage already (-:

I am away from home for about six months a year. I work on at least three of them when I am home, roughly a month at a time, and ride about seven then - I ride each of them at least twice a year, which is good for keeping mileage low (-; I store them all in closed (tight) garages with full fuel tanks, on battery tenders (Optimate® 6) and wheels off the floor when I am away. I never put covers on them while in storage (lesson learnt). Only two are all-weather touring rides. The rest only get out on sunny days (we have plenty of those in South Africa) and never more than a day away, out and back. Seven ride two-up (my wife and I), the rest single. My H-D Breakout is the slowest while my Panigale R is the fastest. My Vmax is the quickest, and my Boss Hoss the heaviest, although it can also lay down rubber for as far as I wish.

The more time you spend modding and riding them, the more you bond with them. So, they are all keepers.

I own twenty bikes at present. If I had space for more, I'd own more. Amongst those are two Buell Lightnings (different models, slightly different engines, entirely different states of tune), two EBRs (different models, same engine in different states of tune), three Victories (different models, same engine but with different engine mods - full Lloydz® vs NOX vs turbo), two Harleys (different models, different engines), two KTMs (different models, same engine in different factory/post-factory states of tune) and three Ducatis (different models, different L-twin engines - desmodue, testastretta and superquadro). No old stuff (not my thing), and only one without fuel injection.

If it got you to the point of discussing the merit of purchasing it on a forum, it must have lit your fire, meaning it should probably have been in your garage already (-:

I am away from home for about six months a year. I work on at least three of them when I am home, roughly a month at a time, and ride about seven then - I ride each of them at least twice a year, which is good for keeping mileage low (-; I store them all in closed (tight) garages with full fuel tanks, on battery tenders (Optimate® 6) and wheels off the floor when I am away. I never put covers on them while in storage (lesson learnt). Only two are all-weather touring rides. The rest only get out on sunny days (we have plenty of those in South Africa) and never more than a day away, out and back. Seven ride two-up (my wife and I), the rest single. My H-D Breakout is the slowest while my Panigale R is the fastest. My Vmax is the quickest, and my Boss Hoss the heaviest, although it can also lay down rubber for as far as I wish.

The more time you spend modding and riding them, the more you bond with them. So, they are all keepers.
Maybe you could share your lesson learned on not covering the bike while stored. I have all my bike covered in storage with indoor light breathing fabric covers. I would hate to think I am causing them damage. My storage is also climate controlled.
1E039394-CB04-4BFB-B960-C4D8750FD5DC.jpeg

Yeah,I get it.
7) No service manual
2) No valve adjustment

I know,I will probablly start a $hit storm Here,but it does kinda suck owning a BMW.

NO Bitching
NO Moaning
NO Whining

LOL!
Christ! you have a way of boiling things down to a point R18... but, I still prefer 'Uschi' (my R18) over my road-brothers Indian ... but thats just me ;)

IMG_20220821_110408904_HDR.jpg

Back