Hornig engine crash bars

I missed the first boat yesterday when they were in stock but I put in an order today. Their message said they should be available in a few days. Once I have them I’ll report back.

A few things I noticed:

- They mount the same as the stock OEM protection bars, one bolt on the bottom of each side unlike the 2 side mounts used for the Wunderlich.
- The price with shipping is about $300 including DHL 2-5 day international shipping which is 1/2 the cost of the Wunderlich. $600 plus shipping felt a little too painful to me for the Wunderlich.
- I prefer the look of this bar with the bent top vs the shape of the Wunderlich which appears to be more flat.
- It might be more gimmicky than practical but I’m curious to see how the footrest attachment on the Hornig works out for me. I find after an hour of riding I’d like to be able to stretch out without stopping. It good you can remove the attachment if you don’t like them.
- The Hornig bars are 38mm diameter vs 32mm for the Wunderlich. I don’t know the diameter of the BMW OEM engine bars.

I’m not saying the Hornig bars are better. Maybe the Wunderlich are worth the extra money? I also wonder if the finish on the Wunderlich are a higher quality than the Horning? We’ll see.

Tom

I missed the first boat yesterday when they were in stock but I put in an order today. Their message said they should be available in a few days. Once I have them I’ll report back.

A few things I noticed:

- They mount the same as the stock OEM protection bars, one bolt on the bottom of each side unlike the 2 side mounts used for the Wunderlich.
- The price with shipping is about $300 including DHL 2-5 day international shipping which is 1/2 the cost of the Wunderlich. $600 plus shipping felt a little too painful to me for the Wunderlich.
- I prefer the look of this bar with the bent top vs the shape of the Wunderlich which appears to be more flat.
- It might be more gimmicky than practical but I’m curious to see how the footrest attachment on the Hornig works out for me. I find after an hour of riding I’d like to be able to stretch out without stopping. It good you can remove the attachment if you don’t like them.
- The Hornig bars are 38mm diameter vs 32mm for the Wunderlich. I don’t know the diameter of the BMW OEM engine bars.

I’m not saying the Hornig bars are better. Maybe the Wunderlich are worth the extra money? I also wonder if the finish on the Wunderlich are a higher quality than the Horning? We’ll see.

Tom
The OEM bars are 30mm

I asked some questions to Hornig about how the removable rubber foot pads were mounted to the bars and for more information on the finish. This is the response I received from them today:

“The rubber pads for the non-slip grip of the feet are only placed around the tubular frame and plugged together. The crash bar is double powder coated for optimum rust protection: first coat with zinc primer, second coat black for a flawless finish.”

They look identical to the Craftride version I have bought from Motea. Not as yet seen them for real as I am not with my bike for another ten days. I paid something like 150 Euro's for them.

Hornig emailed me that my crash bars are shipping out today. They’re showing that they are now available on their website.

18Again,

Did you get them installed? Any pictures or thoughts on if you like them?

Back