How would you describe the R18?

In the end, does it matter how we describe it? My sport bike buddies still let me ride with them, and my wife calls it “sex on wheels”. Good enough for me.
I think Harley(Milwaukee Vibrator) tied that up distinction many years ago.
Sex on Wheels? Come on, do some research.

Not bad, but let’s replay the interaction I (a 48 year old guy) had with the bartender (a twenty-something woman.)

She asked “whatcha riding?” I says “Sex on wheels” She says “O...kay” then walks to the other side of the bar to help someone who isn’t a freakin’ creeper.

Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night, but I don't get it, TV.

So I bought a cruiser, some one else bought a sport standard.
I love the bike what ever you call it.
David

The man asked a question and we gave our opinions. I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me. If that was possible, we wouldn't need this forum.
You guys are great (Black Dog excepted).

I certainly don’t refer to it as a “German Harley” nor convey any thoughts that would compare it to a Harley.

I think of it as unique piece of BMW mechanical technology. When I describe it to a lay person I start out by saying this BMW’S largest ever built opposed piston twin; followed by horse power, displacement, and then describe Rain, Roll, and Rock! That usually piques their interest...a lot. I then say it’s a First Edition; and is tagged with “Made in Berlin” in several places; so I call it my “Beast from Berlin.”

I really try not to compare it to other bikes; including my old (1998) R1200C - which was techy back then; however the male model, thin as a rail, in a brown leather two piece riding suit and the futuristic helmet fortunately didn’t make the cut to the R18!

I’m am a retired U. S. Coast Guard Chief Warrant Officer 4 and a Retired Customs and Border Protection Officer. My first 4 years of Active Duty was as an Airman, striking for Aviation Ordnanceman; spend my last 2 years in the Navy in the Carriers ENTERPRISE (2 days) and the MIDWAY (25 months). Before my mother passed away she sort of apologized to me; saying that she did too good of a job teaching me about sarcasm! “Who, me?” I asked?”

Then, when I received my commission Tact and Diplomacy were never family traits and now I almost had Carte Blanche to speak freely. The young impressionable Ensigns, sitting at attention during the evening mean whenever the CO or XO asked them a question; I would (and to a degree the CO Would throw it out there for me; and I’d reply: “Sorry Captain we can’t do that! Then after the younger officers gat a bit of a grip I’d offer a viable solution; ready to be implemented. Once or twice one of the smarter ensigns would ask how I got away with “it”. Well, I said, between you and I it is my job. But I continued, you have to have a viable option available, and for God’s sake you’d better b right!

But I digress.I just say that the R-18 is a modern, hi-tech motorcycle that is the result of over 100 years of experience; and then say: ”No ma’am (or sir) you can not take my bike for a spin!

I agee - I don’t see it as a German Harley. It pays to much homage to those deco classics like the R5 and the 500K

Attachments

• AE1F2F22-7915-405A-A309-36472068C41D.jpeg
    AE1F2F22-7915-405A-A309-36472068C41D.jpeg
    162.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 45A5EA2B-8672-4F87-9A5F-AF1FFD28AEF5.jpeg
    45A5EA2B-8672-4F87-9A5F-AF1FFD28AEF5.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 3D737798-FD9C-4B25-A1F6-180931A13341.jpeg
    3D737798-FD9C-4B25-A1F6-180931A13341.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 11
I can't believe you didn't show here a picture. You carry one with you right? Let her tell you. As you can see perception is personal.

2021 Ri8 First Edition
2017 R9TSCR
2007 K1200R Sport

I can't believe you didn't show here a picture. You carry one with you right? Let her tell you. As you can see perception is personal
Like a folded up 4x8 inch glossy tucked into my wallet? No. I have a bunch of photos on my phone but none really do it justice.

Back