Is there a BMW shop manual out for our bikes yet? Or, an electronic version?

Well we can bitch and complain or we can do something. If you want to know how to do xyz post it here. Hopefully we slowly gain a list of how to videos and create our own ‘manual’. Possibly start a repair video thread in Maintenance?
The lessons of positivity. I get it but I don't have to be Indiana Jones to explore and find out the truth about this and that. The maintenance videos for this particular bike are few and far between. We, the ones that own this bike would be much better served by a Shop Manual in any form BMW may want to make it available to the public. But we need something. We've pretty much have been left hanging, and that's the truth I have found out playing Indy with my beemer.

Last edited:
The lessons of positivity. I get it but I don't have to be Indiana Jones to explore and find out the truth about this and that. The maintenance videos for this particular bike are few and far between. We, the ones that own this bike would be much better served by a Shop Manual in any form BMW may want to make it available to the public. But we need something. We've pretty much have been left hanging and that's truth I have found out playing Indy with my beemer.
You’re right. I couldn’t agree more. The information work arounds we’ve formed and continue to refine are based from necessity and BMW should not be so simply let off the hook. We can work together AND keep the pressure on them…”Berlin Built” will be my last choice with my maintenance/parts dollars.

Well we can bitch and complain or we can do something. If you want to know how to do xyz post it here. Hopefully we slowly gain a list of how to videos and create our own ‘manual’. Possibly start a repair video thread in Maintenance?
Agreed. I'll do my part with DIY posts and pics. I've got a battery tender coming in the mail. I'll start with that, it's simple, but a photo-DIY would help others do the same.

Mike

I started a thread in the garage forum.

DYI MANUAL FOR DYI REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE

Maybe it’s a good start? Maybe it’s not.

I went ahead and emailed BMW Motorrad's customer service and asked them to reconsider bringing back the DVD service manuals. I'm also a BMW shareholder, so I kind of threw that around, :D, as well as the fact I've been a HUGE lifelong BMW fan and have owned many bimmers/beemers over the decades.

I'll keep on this. I'm expecting to get either a boilerplate response or a referral to the proper point of contact. I may have to dig and get some executive contacts directly over in Munich. Hopefully the speak english, because I don't speak german 😄

Mike

I started a thread in the garage forum.

DYI MANUAL FOR DYI REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE

Maybe it’s a good start? Maybe it’s not.
Gr8adv, I like the idea, the only issue I can see possibly coming up is confusion with thread replies to multiple DIY posts within that single thread. It would be difficult to parse which response belongs to which parent DIY post.

What do you think? Do you think it could work?

Mike

A belated thank you for this by the way. I used it and the BMW MOA engine oil/final drive/transmission fluid change videos on YouTube to do the first service on my R18s. Pretty straightforward process actually with all of the torque values and fluid volumes available.

Magnusson Moss Warranty Act to the rescue if BMW tries to reject any warranty claims.

Gr8adv, I like the idea, the only issue I can see possibly coming up is confusion with thread replies to multiple DIY posts within that single thread. It would be difficult to parse which response belongs to which parent DIY post.

What do you think? Do you think it could work?

Mike
I think it will be a good start. If there is enough traffic we can lobby the administrator for a dyi sub forum with certain separate threads.
-Lubrication,
-valves,
-suspension ,
-wheels and tires
-torque values
-wiring
-, other.

That would clean things up. But let us first see how much traffic there is on the topic and how many helpful replies we get in the current thread. Heck for all we know maybe only 3 people are interested in dyi…

That would be nice. I’d like to know the “proper” way to change the oil and final drive fluids.
I saw a video on YouTube on how to do the oil changes. He is a friendly guy with a full beard if I remember right.

Gotta admit, I may have passed on the bike had I realized BMW Motorrad had become as scummy as BMW Auto. Well, here’s to hoping the bike is built well!
I totally agree with you, had I known no manual was on this bike it would have set at the dealer, it would be a deal breaker, now I am stuck with it but I love the bike just not BMW !!!

What is it you want to repair so badly that you can’t do it now?
I think it is more, for me, the choking out of independent mechanics. I live 45 miles away from the closest dealer. I may not want to drag my bike to or use the dealer network for repairs when I need post warranty work. Also, just being able to have the official factory materials to carry out basic services (and maybe not so basic) would be great; no mucking about the internet hoping the guy you’re watching actually knows what he’s talking about. To me (again me) it also points to BMW Motorrad going down the BMW Auto route; screw our customers, we just need to wring as much money out of them as we can while we can. JM2C and YMMV.

Still think the bike rides great!

Last edited:
I went ahead and emailed BMW Motorrad's customer service and asked them to reconsider bringing back the DVD service manuals. I'm also a BMW shareholder, so I kind of threw that around, :D, as well as the fact I've been a HUGE lifelong BMW fan and have owned many bimmers/beemers over the decades.

I'll keep on this. I'm expecting to get either a boilerplate response or a referral to the proper point of contact. I may have to dig and get some executive contacts directly over in Munich. Hopefully the speak english, because I don't speak german 😄

Mike
I got a response from BMW Motorrad USA. As a surprise to, exactly no one, here's what they said:

"Dear Michael,

Thanks for writing to BMW Motorrad USA regarding service manuals. I appreciate your loyalty with us; although, I’m sorry to learn of your disappointment.

BMW Motorrad no longer provides service manuals. Please note, BMW is fully committed to providing our customers with the ultimate experience. An integral part of this process involves incorporating feedback from our valued customers, and I have already shared your thoughts internally. You can be assured that your sentiments will be heard.

Should you need to contact BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services again, you can reach us at 1-800-831-1117 Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. ET and Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. ET.

Thanks for sharing your valued feedback with us, Michael.

Kind regards,

Abigail
BMW Motorrad USA
Representative

MAKE LIFE A RIDE.

FEEL EVERYTHING, FEAR NOTHING.
Build your own bike at www.bmwmotorcycles.com."

So, I got the standard boilerplate response :ROFLMAO:.

Now, I need to figure out how to contact the big boys and girls over in Berlin/Munich to press the issue. This is FAR from over...

Mike

To BMW Motoraid, Your foolish decision to leave me at the mercy of the BMW shops is a bad move, this will be my last ever BMW. I will not be tied to your dealerships PERIOD, even if the bike sits in my garage and I walk.... jp

Back