My Beach Bar installation

I have seen pics of the ape hangers, and if I recall the wiring was external. Pretty crappy look, for such a nice bike.
I watched the install video posted on YouTube and I thought the wiring zip tied to the hydraulic lines looked pretty crappy. I am not going to be spending nearly the money those guys in Germany have in that bike but I couldn't go tacky because it's the easy route.

I had the OEM risers powder coated but I am going to eventually replace them with the lower BMW Machined Finish risers that are currently not available.

IMG_4575.jpegIMG_4574.jpeg

Last edited:
I watched the install video posted on YouTube and I thought the wiring zip tied to the hydraulic lines looked pretty crappy. I am not going to be spending nearly the money those guys in Germany have in that bike but I couldn't go tacky because it's the easy route.

I had the OEM risers powder coated but I am going to eventually replace them with the lower BMW Machined Finish risers that a re currently not available.

View attachment 4216View attachment 4217
I hope your wife doesn't find out you missed the flight on purpose to work on your R18,LOL!:ROFLMAO:

I hope your wife doesn't find out you missed the flight on purpose to work on your R18,LOL!:ROFLMAO:
I am lucky that I'm not working right now. I had a lumbar fusion in late December and I'm off of work until March 1st. We are taking advantage of the time off to take two weeks for the first time in our 45 years of marriage. Now it will be 13 days but I was born on Friday the 13th and 13 has always been lucky for me. So it should still be a great trip.
But if I was taking my usual one week and was my normal stress ball before leaving I would be so pissed off right now!

I got as much done as I could today. Check out the excess amount of wire looped below the bars. I have to assume they make the harness that long to work with the ape hangers as well.

I am very happy with both the look and the comfort. I have long arms (36" shirt length) and I am nowhere near stretched out. The LMC Swing Saddle will raise me up a bit and eventually I want to use lower risers so final adjustments will come later.

IMG_4589.jpegIMG_4587.jpegIMG_4586.jpeg

Holy cow, those bars look huge! Like they will sweep back 8" further then the stock bars. Looking forward to seeing it completed.

They really need the low risers. I may order some off of eBay to get se until the BMW set is available.
I always wondered if the risers could be mounted in 180 degrees off(backwards)?That would elevate & move the position forward.
& finally,handlebars that stick out past the cylinders! LOVE IT!

I always wondered if the risers could be mounted in 180 degrees off(backwards)?That would elevate & move the position forward.
& finally,handlebars that stick out past the cylinders! LOVE IT!
Who needs engine guards?

Now I need to see if it will fit in one of the staggered positions in my enclosed trailer.

Love the look of the beach bars but FE owners like me would have to buy black controls to match for best results. Still probably worth it. Looking forward to seeing the finished product with seat and fender!

Love the look of the beach bars but FE owners like me would have to buy black controls to match for best results. Still probably worth it. Looking forward to seeing the finished product with seat and fender!
I agree, I had an idea what I wanted to do before I bought the bike and that's why I chose the base over the FE.

Well the bar installation is complete. I initially installed them using the stock risers which I had powder painted black. But they were too high and brought the bars further back which wasn't necessary. I want to add the BMW accessory low risers but in the meantime I found a set on eBay for $30 that matches the Roland Sands machined accessories pretty well.
I am so glad I went through the trouble of routing the wire harnesses internally. If I hadn't it would have bothered me forever.

Hans sent me an email while I was on vacation to let me know my seat had shipped so I'm awaiting it's arrival.

I am very interested in finding out what the process was that Gr8adv used to gut his stock exhaust. That will be my next project before the spring riding season commences here in the Midwest.

IMG_4849.jpegIMG_4850.jpegIMG_4852.jpegIMG_4853.jpeg

Well the bar installation is complete. I initially installed them using the stock risers which I had powder painted black. But they were too high and brought the bars further back which wasn't necessary. I want to add the BMW accessory low risers but in the meantime I found a set on eBay for $30 that matches the Roland Sands machined accessories pretty well.
I am so glad I went through the trouble of routing the wire harnesses internally. If I hadn't it would have bothered me forever.

Hans sent me an email while I was on vacation to let me know my seat had shipped so I'm awaiting it's arrival.

I am very interested in finding out what the process was that Gr8adv used to gut his stock exhaust. That will be my next project before the spring riding season commences here in the Midwest.

View attachment 4468View attachment 4469View attachment 4470View attachment 4471
She's a Beauty nice work MD!

View attachment 4468View attachment 4469View attachment 4470View attachment 4471
Such a cool look. Good job with the wiring.

I too am waiting on the bmw handlebar bits from bmw. Got a link to the eBay ones?

Let me know what you might want to know about the exhaust.

Fwiw I ordered some stuff from LMC in December. Shipped Jan 25. Crickets for the last month.

Such a cool look. Good job with the wiring.

I too am waiting on the bmw handlebar bits from bmw. Got a link to the eBay ones?

Let me know what you might want to know about the exhaust.

Fwiw I ordered some stuff from LMC in December. Shipped Jan 25. Crickets for the last month.
Here is the link to the eBay risers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Black-M...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I was wondering if you documented the process you used to gut the mufflers.

Here is the link to the eBay risers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Black-M...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

I was wondering if you documented the process you used to gut the mufflers.
See post 813 here. It is all pretty straight forward. https://www.r18forums.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-r18-today.97/page-41#post-11467

Back