What did you do to your R18 today?

I, too, bought the BMW bib & small bag. I put it on and took it off. It is very 'industrial' IMHO.

If that had to happen to me, it would be my cue to paint the R18 another colour or to (perhaps and) get the TC fuel tank. I can, however, imagine the latter will cost a kidney.
This was a $107 fix that worked for me.Painting the tank may be a option for a later date.The paint would have to be the oem Black Storm Metalic as I just bought and had the side car installed.It is color matched to the R18C.Just call me Mr Industral☺️

This was a $107 fix that worked for me.Painting the tank may be a option for a later date.The paint would have to be the oem Black Storm Metalic as I just bought and had the side car installed.It is color matched to the R18C.Just call me Mr Industral☺️
The other option, to cover was this:

I figured the BMW MotoRad was a better fit.

The most important issue I based my decision was due to the size of the size OEM tank.I did not feel the expense to repair or paint the small tank was worth it.I would be more open to buying and installing a R18B tank.I want to do some research on that before shelling out $$$.
The added sidecar makes the small oem tank not worth it.So,for now the small tank bag wins out.

image.jpgI am keeping the flappers. I see no need to remove if keeping the stock headers.

They can be set to remain open or closed. Clearly I am opening mine.

Yes one can simply disconnect the cables and be fine. For me the extremely low hanging and ugly after thought (crap Hans where we going to put this ) motor had to go.

The flappers are there for eurox sound reduction at idle and low throttle applications. They work really well for that. The straight pipes with the flappers closed dont sound that bad. Get on the throttle tho and it's painful.

Yes I have a tuner. Need to get Humpty back together to get it to the dealer for their update flash prior to the tune. Getting closer.

My LMC cooler (the second worse last minute add on by bmw) shipped 2weeks ago. Still nothing that says it is going to be here soon.

Here is a pick of the servo package. These are listed for the s1000r I believe. I think many people sell these or ones similar. You will need 2

View attachment 4313I am keeping the flappers. I see no need to remove if keeping the stock headers.

They can be set to remain open or closed. Clearly I am opening mine.

Yes one can simply disconnect the cables and be fine. For me the extremely low hanging and ugly after thought (crap Hans where we going to put this ) motor had to go.

The flappers are there for eurox sound reduction at idle and low throttle applications. They work really well for that. The straight pipes with the flappers closed dont sound that bad. Get on the throttle tho and it's painful.

Yes I have a tuner. Need to get Humpty back together to get it to the dealer for their update flash prior to the tune. Getting closer.

My LMC cooler (the second worse last minute add on by bmw) shipped 2weeks ago. Still nothing that says it is going to be here soon.

Here is a pick of the servo package. These are listed for the s1000r I believe. I think many people sell these or ones similar. You will need 2

I can’t wait to hear what the difference is.
Post a video!

I can’t wait to hear what the difference is.
Post a video!
I will eventually. I have a set of stockers with the baffles drilled out, the cat removed and now the flappers disconnected.

Not sure I want to swap the catless pipes before the bmw flash. Not that my dealer will care; I just don't want to upset the system. Idk. Although member @EthanTrull said he added his cat deleted hattech with no codes prior to tune.

I will eventually. I have a set of stockers with the baffles drilled out, the cat removed and now the flappers disconnected.

Not sure I want to swap the catless pipes before the bmw flash. Not that my dealer will care; I just don't want to upset the system. Idk. Although member @EthanTrull said he added his cat deleted hattech with no codes prior to tune.
You should post some of the steps you went through to fry where you are,
It really is the reason for posting on a forum.
It’s not where you are biy how you got there.

You should post some of the steps you went through to fry where you are,
It really is the reason for posting on a forum.
It’s not where you are biy how you got there.
Well I am not much of a create a tutorial guy.

Put a long bit drill down the pipe and you can drill out the baffle. Can pick one up at harbor freight etc.

Lots of video on YouTube for windowing and removing a cat. Just takes a grinder to cut a window in the pipe and then any implement of destruction you can find to scrape out the cat material. Any crappy shop to weld it up. The results are hidden

There is 1 screw holding the servo motor in place. Lefty-looosy. 😀 It's under the bike, look for the lowest piece of plastic you can find. It is at the end of the flapper cables. It's the thing you hit with your sizzor Jack wondering why this is there. The bolt is vertical and at the front of the unit. 10 mm wrench to loosen the cables at the flapper end of the cable to allow them to clip out.image.jpgB88F7952-5F68-43CE-9CB5-1699CBCC510F.jpegimage.jpg

Last edited:
CA94AD48-DBAE-4E49-8CDA-5FB2BD896B3B.jpeg

52294EC3-8922-407F-BEEA-598EC42A8640.jpegWhile I love roundels, badges and the Marques crest, I'm not a fan of gratuitous model markings. I would have been good with a nice engraved plaque on the handle bar or something. But not a plastic stick on.

Edit. Oops. Forgot the tutorial bit. A man has to know his limitations. Off to my paint guy. Welded in three studs and ground them smooth prior to paint. I didn't care what the inside looked like or he would have made it perfect there too.

Last edited:
Was it easy to remove?
Yes. Clipped off the plastic studs that hold them on (far better than they needed to be). I guess somebody smarter than me could have figured out how to remove the star washers and it would slip off.

Well then there is the belts and suspenders glue sticking them on. But generally this is as about as simple as it gets.

Back