Possible R18 purchase today...now be honest in your thoughts

motoring

Welcome to read below though I have elected to do the deal and sent the bmw finance application to dealer just a moment ago.
Reason I am considering a R18.
1. It is bmw retro to the max
2. It has a R18 engine (well those are good and bad points)
3. It is not a new 2022 R1200RT nor GS both of which are too heavy in my book.
4. I could get a used/new R1250R and kit it out but at the price I am paying for this R18 it just seems a deal I should not pass up.
5. Yes, I realize the R18 is no light weight but with how it looks and that engine when riding it its rpm sweet zone...heaven I would guess. For those reasons I will forgive how much she weighs. Just hope I would still feel that way if I own one.

So just between you and me. Don't worry no one else is reading this thread (come on trust me). Can get a left over R18FE at .9/60 with the $3k rebate plus if doing 43 months finance bmw makes the first 6 payments which discounts the bike another $1,998. I am ok getting .9/43 terms and the rebate plus bmw 6 pays knocks the price down below $11k (before other fees...no dealer fee, only doc fee of $195). So basically getting it for about half off msrp and it is new.

So, be honest with me -
1. On a scale of 1 to 10 in 90 degree heat how frigging hot will the jugs be when stuck in traffic (10 be too dam hot aka like sitting on a harley hot)? A shop said someone is making some heat shelds for the jugs will need to get more info on that.
2. Using trail braking, how much do you have to man handle the R18 to make parking lot turns, low speed turns? How liking do you feel you can drop it at times when doing that?
3. If purchased I will need to sell the FE fish tail exhaust I got recently lol so might be looking for a buyer :) or trade for other items if you have them :)
4. Am I crazy to do this deal? I know the pricing is best I would get now days and I have other bikes (05 r1200rt and 19 goldwing tour dct) plus honda nc700x, an aprilia mana 850gt automatic so it won't be my only ride.
Though this R18 is just calling my name (maybe it feels my name is Mr Fool).

5. What is the one single thing I should have added (save for windscreen) for the long ride? Maybe some sort of cruise control lock (don't know good one to buy)...or other such item. Maybe adding a Madstad screen dealer installed will be required. I do have two MSR 30oz fuel bottles, if I can find their plastic carry holders might take one or two with me to put on the bike.

It will just be used as a cruising bike and to look at honestly. Maybe to the local bike shop or get together. I know the seat is a toss and replace item, will need engine guards...maybe a passenger back rest. Down the road maybe bags and rear rack. It does not have cruise control but does have reverse and heated grips.

Has the spoke wheels, can live with them I figure, premium package (adaptive headlight, reverse, hill start control, headlight pro), Select package (heated grips, alarm, locking cap).

I am surprised it has the adaptive headlight, honestly. I really like that idea and think that is so cool.

If you own one and now wish you didn't happy to hear your thoughts as well.

I foresee my butt really really hurting after I get back should I make this purchase from out of State.

It will be a 16 hour ride total over multiple days to get her back home (well Helen GA). Want to drop by the bmwra rally on way back. Not at all looking forward to riding a naked R18, with 3.5" rear travel, that many miles with no wind protection I can tell you that for certain. Will need to pack light as no side bags on it other taking my bmw tie on bag plus another water proof carry bag. Maybe a tank bag if I can find a tank strap with clips to fit a Oxford X30 bag (got it on clearance but it has no front strap).

Thank you for any thoughts.

Last edited:
It will just be used as a cruising bike and to look at honestly. I know the seat is a toss and replace item, will need engine guards...maybe a back rest. Down the road maybe bags and rear rack. It does not have cruise control but does have reverse and heated grips.”

If you need a backrest, a puffy couch seat, compliant suspension, engine guards and bags, don’t like the wind in your face naked bike experience, you are buying the wrong bike. Use other members here as your muse to buying the wrong bike.

I have a FE I made to be as close to the original awesome bike they introduced years ago. A naked cruiser. I LOVE to ride it. Open air naked bike riding for a few hours at a time. Travel is with a toothbrush and Visa card.

The classic, bagger and tc are all great bikes with their own niche.

I get what you are saying and understand that thought. For my needs, adding fabric/leather bags does not take away from the feel of riding an R18 to me. I do like some sort of wind protection. This one caught my eye.

I get adding a tall windscreen sort of defeats the purpose of a naked cruiser though I am ok with these changes. I think the difference between a puffy seat and the thing that bmw sells with the stock bike might be miles apart from the little I have read. I like engine guards to protect the heads plus a place to put my feel besides resting on top of the jugs.

Above are just cheap ebay listed items but maybe they would do. I had an S fairing R boxer prior and the short bars did not do it for me. Maybe this knock off screen would leave clean helmet air flow while knocking wind off my chest at highway speed.

Though for certain, to each there own :)

Last edited:
Seat is horrible on the FE bikes (& the classic TBH) - so if planning to ride longer than an hour, bufget for something else to swap out.

I love my r18 - it is unique & special & different.

At the price you can get it for, I would jump on it. I don't think there are many left with this kind of pricing & they are only getting more expensive.

Your other points, the adaptive headlight isn't something I think you will even notice. You may regret not getting cruise (can't add it later). Low speed handling is a pig until you get used to it / more confident. Then it is just the same as all the other cruisers.

Love it. Stop thinking - just get it.

Let's see.
1- I never notice the heat from the jugs, and I live in Florida, and ride daily.
2- no issues with low speed turns, although full lock is a reach. Just use the friction zone, rear brake, body position and practice. You will be fine.
3- someone on here will be interested in the tails.
4- get the bike!
5- purchase either the weekend or cross country seat , and backrest before you leave, and have the dealer ship the original seat to you. Throttle lock works great...get the bottom version. (I bought the upper and wish, I had purchased the bottom version. Be sure to have a helmet that doesn't lift or you will be dealing with helmet lift, on the interstate! Trust me it sucks!!! The Madstad setup works great!
Enjoy the bike! It's awesome...

Thanks for the input . The Pig part is what worries me lol. Well that plus the expense to get it home from up north. Btw, one can add cruise to build dates after Feb 2021 though this one was made before that date.

I did find one with cruise down south but it has $5k of added Roland Sands Design (RSD) add-ons. I cannot seem to find a web site listing cost for those add-ons for a R18 anywhere. The BMW build your bike site is a total waste of time to get broken down cost information it seems to me. It just provides summary total cost info.

The add-on bits, RSD, look nice on the bike as I like the ones they selected to add, but that extra $5k plus the dealer charges a total of $1k for pre and shipping that the northern dealer does not which means I could be paying $6,000 more for the same bike. So compared to the other that is like a 50% increase in cost and I don’t see anyway in hell one would ever recover much of that cost…maybe $2,500 if very lucky due to the RSD added items when going to see down the road. Yes I know, you don’t buy a bike and expect to come out ahead or break even when sold. Still it is a lot extra to pay for the same two rolling wheels.

Well to be honest, maybe cruise worth say $500 to a person…hate to say… $1,000…in value If owing the bike for say 5 years or more :) since I do like having it in my old age. Think it is only something like a $400 add-on if buying a 2022 model new.

I am though in a box, just not yet a new R18 box(er) :)
Only way I would buy one is the .9 financing as I won’t want to spend cash for such a purchase (though with inflation now guess cash is worth less each year then prior years) since I have some in a checking account getting no interest (emergency fund don’t you know). Plus if I sold the bike cause I was not be happy after time then that extra $5 to $6 spent would be a big hit ($16k vs $11k)

Will ask my brother if he will drive my car up to Indiana with the trailer maybe (he has to visit his mom) then he could tow it back to NC. That would mean I would only need to ride it 4 hours on that throw away seat :) then could just fly back south.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, the R18 pure (cruiser), is not a long distance ride, no matter the seat. More like a cruise around bike, say 150 mile trips.
I use the throttle lock, not as much as I thought I would, so cruise control, imo, on this bike, is not really needed. As far as a pig, not at all! It is no different than any other large cruiser. In fact, it's better, especially at the price and deal that BMW is offering. I like it so much that I bought 2 R18's. The pure and a TC.
Don't hesitate...if you like the bike, get it!

I stand behind the pig comment at low speed. But no more than any other 350kg bike is a pig at low speed maneuvers - you need to learn it & gain confidence.

But next to all other lighter bikes..... yeh it's a pig. It feels slow to turn in, then tippy.

Don't get me wrong, I have an r18 & love it. But smooth & easy low speed handling? come off it.

My other ride is a r1250 gsa. Next to the r18 it feels like a scalpel.

I would jump on that deal, if you spend long enough thinking it over then the choice may be out of your hands.

I have the R18 and I really do miss the technical information I could get on my R1250RS... I really miss the water cooled engine of the last R series bikes, but the R18 is my clear favorite and after two days of long riding on HOT days I can see no reason anyone could complain about engine heat, unless you kiss the engine cylinders you will not find any heat there !!

The price is what pulled me in to make a deal. I'd say lower expectations on the base model. What you're getting with the pure is a fantastic and wonderful retro riding experience with no frills and extra cruft. You're not getting a GS or RT.

The base for $11K is a great deal and you'll get many years of fun riding out of it around town or long after-work tours around your city or countryside.

I chose to spend $9K more and get the Bagger which adds all of the features I needed to do overnighters and 400 mile trips instead of 150 miles. I would have been just as happy with the base model you're looking at and suffered less depreciation.

I don't think the R18, in any configuration could be my only motorcycle. It really lacks BMW's modern feel which is by design. IT's not a rocket ship K1600 or a fire road GS or a track equipped S1000. IT's an R18 and it's a cruiser. Treat it like you would a street bob or any other slimmed down Harley and ride to and from dinner or work on it and take the long way home. The pure was a complete rip off at $20K when it came out. I do feel for anyone who paid MSRP for a first edition in 2020. Now, it's a fantastic deal. Every single BMW brand loyalist should, if they can, put a base first edition in their garage next to their GS or RT as that bike you take around town. It's fantastic for that.

The alternative at that price of $11,000 would be an F750GS base model, an F900XR or a KTM Duke 890. Of those bikes, I'd pick the R18 over them all.

Quick update, three things.
1. What is the most comfortable seat to go with from bmw?
I can do a base with seat upgrade (fast back or day rider. Brown or black either one). Don’t know which would be more comfortable though thinking Day Rider.

I know it is a personal choice though I sort of like the idea of a brown seat on the R18 as so much of the bike is already black (by design of ccurse).

I don’t per say do driver back rest though it can be added to the day rider seat, not the fast back. I know the fast back looks sweeter on an r18 but I am more a ‘function over looks‘ type of guy.

2. Pricing/Options
Base will cost say $11k, one with Cruise control $12.8k (you lose a bmw discount if you get one with cruise…darn that bmw company) and the Full Monty v2 RSD with Cruise would cost $14k (I bellieve). These figures include the bmw $3k rebate and bmw 6 pays ($2k) but not tax, title, registration fees.

I am leaning towards the v2 RSD only because the back head covers look mighty sweet, well primary cover also plus the RSD (non-locking gas cap is cool). Though I figure I could get by the base and call it a day to save $3k vs the RSD one.

Else split the difference and do base with cruise control by spending an extra $1,8k (at that cost maybe a throttle lock is good enough). After all, for me it will just be a day rider type of bike of 100 miles or else. Not planning on any 300 to 400 miles day rides.

3. Engine guards
Yes, I like having them and figure could just add highway pegs to them and call it a day. The Leg guards added to them would be an option though not certain the cost (I will need to check) would be worth it plus I am not sure I will like that look with them covering the top of the Jugs. Anyone own them and tried them out yet and can report back?

Dealer set a chrome engine guard out for black power coating ($150 cost above the price of the guards themselves). Guess just chrome guard woud be fine honestly.
Ride safe and enjoy your R18 bikes

Last edited:
Look into Roadstyler for engine guard , and other items. Great company in Poland. I ordered several items for my R18, and they are of excellent quality.

Go for the R 18B
Too much weight I fear…and cost. Even if I could get one for $20k that is 9 more then a base (guess they call a Base model a Pure now days) R18. Not looking for a big handlebar mounted fairing either (did that with R1200CLC and prefer not to do it again) plus not thrilled with speakers taking up bag space (though I understand why there are there). Last, if I don’t like the R18 as just a cruiser bike I won’t take as big a hit in resell.

If one wants to ride over 100 miles in a day though I can see loving a Bagger probably :) they look bad ass I feel.

I stand behind the pig comment at low speed. But no more than any other 350kg bike is a pig at low speed maneuvers - you need to learn it & gain confidence.

But next to all other lighter bikes..... yeh it's a pig. It feels slow to turn in, then tippy.

Don't get me wrong, I have an r18 & love it. But smooth & easy low speed handling? come off it.

My other ride is a r1250 gsa. Next to the r18 it feels like a scalpel.

I would jump on that deal, if you spend long enough thinking it over then the choice may be out of your

Back