Price Aside, what R18 did you want, did you buy that one and why?

I was not in the market for one, but did admire them from afar while at my dealership of record. When the deals started flowing last year, I popped on a FE R18C for 15 and change. The big thing for me was CC and the front wheel --the panniers, lights, and shield were just gravy. For the price difference over the base model, it was an easy decision.

But then I thought the TransCon is more bike than I really need. It's heavy, expensive and I own a GS Adventure so I have a touring bike and it sort of defeats where I started my search which was the classic for weekends and overnighters in hotels/cabins (not camping off the bike).
BTW, camping with the Classic is more limited than on my GSA, but it certainly is possible: IMG_0740.jpeg

I'd been waiting for the R18 for near on 20 years, riding my R12C was a great way to spend the miles between. When they released the FE I grabbed the first one I could get my hands on, great folks at MAXBMW had me riding it by the end of October 2020.. gave new meaning to 'locomotive breath'. Scheming for the right add-ons had me going buggy, need to add stuff but it was perfect already.. so had to get a TC too, again MAXBMW found the specs i sought, and had me setup and riding my TC in October 2021. Combination of one plain, and one with all the toppings, fits all bills, exactly the same but completely different.

Last edited:
I initially went to look at the R18 FE Pure as it was just so unique and I was in the market for something different from my Road Glide. I really enjoyed the test ride but was a bit turned off by no cruise control and the exhaust wasn't a deal killer but just okay with it. Started looking at the Classic thinking for a couple of $k more, bags, windshield and the 16" tire which I think is a better ride. If I wanted a stripped version, I could remove the bags, windshield and still have cruise control. I was not in the market for a tourer and even if the B or TC had been available, I would still own the Classic. I regularly get asked what year it is, especially without the windshield (only bags) and the yellow tinted running lights.

View attachment 5507
Adam, doe's the all black premium that you are checking on, look like this?

Identical in appearance. I'd need a build sheet of your photo to see specifications. The one I was eyeing is:
  1. 2022 R18 B - $21,945
  2. Premium Light $1550
  3. Select $576
  4. Comfort Seat High $375
  5. Destination $795
  6. Suggested Price - $25,240
  7. OTD all in - $19,500. and no sales tax since I'm in NH. most dealers are still quoting me that even though I know they don't have to and some dealers advertise $20K then add Freight, Setup, Fees totaling $2K when you email them.

The cheapest I've found is unfortunately 1500 miles away :p so closer to New Hampshire would be fantastic!

Identical in appearance. I'd need a build sheet of your photo to see specifications. The one I was eyeing is:
  1. 2022 R18 B - $21,945
  2. Premium Light $1550
  3. Select $576
  4. Comfort Seat High $375
  5. Destination $795
  6. Suggested Price - $25,240
  7. OTD all in - $19,500. and no sales tax since I'm in NH. most dealers are still quoting me that even though I know they don't have to and some dealers advertise $20K then add Freight, Setup, Fees totaling $2K when you email them.

The cheapest I've found is unfortunately 1500 miles away :p so closer to New Hampshire would be fantastic!
Have it shipped!

Was sold on the original prototype. Bought a first edition once the bigger wheels were available and have been tweaking it since.

Edit. Everyone is different and their really isn’t any right or wrong. This is without a doubt my favorite cruiser out there. If I was looking for a commuter oriented bike I would get an RT. If I was looking for cruiser with bags I would be very hard pressed not to get another Road King. For a full dresser touring bike it’s a k1600 hands down.

Fun fun fun. Ride and enjoy.

Last edited:
Just put in that inquiry on a shipping quote. IT's usually about $1 a mile these days so $1500. If local dealer comes in at $21K that eats up the savings so I'm waiting on them to come back with their quote.
Reference your question about the headlamp, the FE and Classic have a different design than the unit on the B and TC, but they both offer cornering lighting. Perhaps one of the folks that have both versions could comment if the beam patterns are noticeably different.

Maybe a long weekend "fly and ride" would work if the numbers are that much better? Using the transport $ for a nice ride getting to know your new bike is a Win-Win in my book.

Hard to believe one dealer can sell something significantly different than another if he knows you are a buyer. It is what it is I guess.

Fun to buy it and drive to the higher place dealer for service on the way home.

I only wanted the R18 first edition. This is bike I bought for its cool looks and quality finish. It looks like a custom cruiser bone stock.

I only ride for fun, no more than 50-75 miles at most each outing, so I do not need bags or comfort.

Truthfully I do not see the R18 as a long distance bike as a result of the vibration and the lack of ability to stretch out ones legs forward due to the huge cylinder heads.

This is where Harley is way ahead of BMW, since Harley uses the engine mounted to softail platform for their Iconic styled bikes, but uses a rubber mounted engine and different platform for their baggers and long distance bikes.

This is where I feel the BMW R16 TransContinental and baggers can not compete well against Harley.

The Harley bagger platform allows the legs to be moved to several positions on long rides and to be stretched out totally (without having to raise the thigh or leg to reach over a cylinder head) and Harley also Isolated the engine with rubber mounts. I do not believe the TransContinental uses a different frame to isolate the engine....but I may be wrong.....anyone know better ?

Last edited:

I only ride for fun, no more than 50-75 miles at most each outing, so I do not need bags or comfort.

Truthfully I do not see the R18 as a long distance bike as a result of the vibration and the lack of ability to stretch out ones legs forward due to the huge cylinder heads.
I did a 270 mile day ride last Sunday on my Classic to grab lunch a couple states over. When I wanted a stretch I just rested my legs on top of the cylinders for a minute or two, or stood on the floorboards. I wouldn’t hesitate to travel with my R18, in fact I have several trips planned this year with it. If you want to tame the vibration a bit, switch it to roll mode… that definitely helps if you are stuck riding on a highway.

Leaving out dealers for now but these are out the door quoted prices from a few places. I'm waiting on prices from about 5 more bikes before pulling the trigger. You can go to BMW's configurator with those packages and see the savings. Deals change by region & by month so if someone sees this in 6 months, don't PM me asking for dealers please because those bikes are long gone and one will be in my driveway :)

wPMpgIh.png

I'm probably going to go with the 4th or 5th bikes from the top. I've talked myself out of the TC.

You'll notice obviously that First Editions are carrying a premium. They cost much more on the build sheet. Only exception is a first edition but 2021s currently have better incentives allowing it to beat a 2022 non first edition handily.

Getting a Classic for $15,550 seems like a good buy even if I have a TC. Wife would not like two Beemers in the garage though.

TC. Once I saw it in person my life's mission was to own one. Had to sacrifice my 2018 Goldwing to get it. As of yet I have not seen another TC on the roads of northeast Ohio which I like. Being a little different is why I purchased the TC and not a Harley.

Attachments

• IMG_20220603_130925483_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220603_130925483_HDR.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 2
Back