Price Aside, what R18 did you want, did you buy that one and why?

Probably not the best place to post this comment though for R18 owners (actually anyone that got a model with the limited resr suspension) do you now feel it is too limiting or would you now prefer the R18B model (since I infer it is the closest to the R18FE option wise). I know there is a Classic model (thinking that just adds windscreen, maybe rear seat, and believe basic cruise control)n yet retains the original R18 limited rear suspension.

I guess I could live with a small tank but thinking that rear shock limited travel would not make my old back happy.
Now that we know what is out there and some lower pricing I don’t think I could pick a R18 just to save X amount of $.

Uncertain that I ran across replace rear shock that would fix that issue.
You might want to take a ride on whichever model you're interested in and judge for yourself. Having ridden a standard FE, and owning a Classic, I'm not what has you worried about the "limited rear suspension". There were, evidently, dealers early on who didn't read the setup instructions and didn't adjust the suspension out of its shipment setting.... Maybe you read something about that? In any case, I find the suspension on my Classic perfect for the bike.

I have the standard FE and I had the techs adjust the rear suspension for 2-up before I picked it up. After they adjusted it, when I ride solo on REALLY crappy roads the ride is somewhat harsh but when we're 2-up, it's perfect. The other thing that helped immensely is the Weekender seat that replaced that miserable OEM abomination of a seat...

Last edited:
Probably not the best place to post this comment though for R18 owners (actually anyone that got a model with the limited resr suspension) do you now feel it is too limiting or would you now prefer the R18B model (since I infer it is the closest to the R18FE option wise). I know there is a Classic model (thinking that just adds windscreen, maybe rear seat, and believe basic cruise control)n yet retains the original R18 limited rear suspension.

I guess I could live with a small tank but thinking that rear shock limited travel would not make my old back happy.
Now that we know what is out there and some lower pricing I don’t think I could pick a R18 just to save X amount of $.

Uncertain that I ran across replace rear shock that would fix that issue.
Front suspension is the same travel on all models at 4.7”. The rear on the cruiser bikes is 3.5” and 4.7” on the fairing bikes. If the preload is properly set on the cruiser models, the 3.5“ isn’t a major issue. It’s not as plush as my GSA, but that has nearly 9” on the rear. My S1000R has 4.7” in the rear, just like the fairing bikes and I don’t feel an appreciable difference between my R18 Classic & the S1000R. If riding on dirt roads or heavy potholes, both the R18 & S1000R aren’t ideal with the limited travel, bit that’s what my GSA is for.

Fuel capacity is also different between cruiser vs fairing bikes with 4.2 vs 6.3 gallons. In practice though the fairing bikes should get worse MPG than the cruiser bikes given the extra weight, so the capacity difference isn’t as great as it may seem. How you ride the bike has direct impact on your fuel economy & I don’t tend to do smooth highway miles. Even so, I don’t expect the reserve to come on till 130 miles and I have another 40 miles of range then. I find it is good to take a break every ~2 hours or ~100 miles on any bike, so I’ve not found the range to be limiting. If I had equivalent MPG on a fairing bike (unlikely given the increased weight), I’d expect reserve around 215 miles and empty at 255. My GSA is nearly 9 gallons and TBH is overkill for most every use case. I’m never going 300 miles without stopping, nor even 200 miles. I might stretch to 150 miles, but that is well within the range of the cruiser models.

If the preload is properly set on the cruiser models, the 3.5“ isn’t a major issue.

I find it is good to take a break every ~2 hours or ~100 miles on any bike, so I’ve not found the range to be limiting.
These are the 800lb gorillas in the room and I'm on board with both comments. Secondly, buyers tend to fall in love with looks and perceptions vs taking a hard look at features to capabilities. You can tour on any bike as long as you understand the limitations and set expectations. So my only option at this point is to convince the wife I need a K1600, a GS or Africa Twin and a Honda Cub. Who's with me....

(oh, and either a vintage Honda Dream 305 or Triumph TR6 Trophy)

Last edited:
Back