Quote from Dr. Markus Schramm, head of BMW Motorrad

By the way, what state are you calling home?

I live in Los Angeles and have lane split for almost 30 years while commuting during rush hour.

That's why a guy splitting lanes is always at fault, and that's because he was not under the protection of the law.

That's not true at all. How about an illegal lane change? How about a car driving 100MHP who hits a bike that is lane splitting? "Always" is pretty absolute and I can probably come up with 100 scenarios where the biker would not be found at fault. If you ever get into a scrap while lane splitting, do yourself a favor and hire an accident attorney, because you clearly don't understand liability well enough to defend yourself.

Lane splitting is a perfect example of something that is not written in the law but is perceived as such.

It's obvious to me that you have spent too much time in California believing that you can only do what your oppressors tell you that which you can do. Apparently you don't understand the concept that for something to be unlawful, it is required to be documented as such in the vehicle / penal, etc. code. If it's "not written in the law" (as you put it) as unlawful, then it is not.

But since you like living in a fairy world where you can only do what you are told you are allowed, I'll stop bursting your bubble and responding to this nonsense so you can sleep well at night.

I live in Los Angeles and have lane split for almost 30 years while commuting during rush hour.

That's not true at all. How about an illegal lane change? How about a car driving 100MHP who hits a bike that is lane splitting? "Always" is pretty absolute and I can probably come up with 100 scenarios where the biker would not be found at fault. If you ever get into a scrap while lane splitting, do yourself a favor and hire an accident attorney, because you clearly don't understand liability well enough to defend yourself.

It's obvious to me that you have spent too much time in California believing that you can only do what your oppressors tell you that which you can do. Apparently you don't understand the concept that for something to be unlawful, it is required to be documented as such in the vehicle / penal, etc. code. If it's "not written in the law" (as you put it) as unlawful, then it is not.

But since you like living in a fairy world where you can only do what you are told you are allowed, I'll stop bursting your bubble and responding to this nonsense so you can sleep well at night.

Unbelievable. You are totally awesome. A dream creator nevertheless. Thank you for enlighten me with your magical words of wisdom, not to mention the caring qualities you display with such refinement and class.
I have been transformed! No more bubbles.
What a miracle man you are. Now go split some lanes.

OK guys a few things:

BMW makes quiet motorcycles and they always have. You shouldn’t have bought one if you wanted a Harley with gutted pipes. It ain’t ever gonna happen. It’s why my cruiser used to be a bored out 124 Thug Dyna with gutted pipes :). BMW is committed to not just European standards but not having bikes that annoy people. I believe everyone got to hear their bike before they bought it. Don’t complain. This IS their philosophy and if you aren’t a BMW guy you just aren’t. You punch the ticket you take the ride. It is why a lot of motorcyclists have more than one bike in their garage.

I have the Vance and Hines Exhaust and removed the baffles. The bike is not quiet. Not one bit. It has a beautiful rumble and sounds amazing and when you get it revved up it genuinely sounds bada$$. And you need to rev it… and not sitting at a stop light :). But my bike is plenty loud

Go ahead, gut it, then ride 1000 miles on it. No thanks.

Anyone, and I mean anyone who believes in loud pipes save lives knows nothing about the Doppler effect, modern automobiles… and certainly not motorcycles. Gutted pipes are made for fun and to make people hate motorcyclists. Period. If I am sitting in my car with some Taylor Swift on, trust me. I can see you… but I am not going to hear you because of the direction of the sound. Period. It’s why ambulance sirens face forward and backwards folks.

And yes, they put that down the street from the Harley factory… really

Anyway, my bike is not even close to quiet, nor in compliance with California or anyone’s reg… but it doesn’t sound like I didn’t get enough attention from girls growing up either :).

Attachments

• IMG_9757.png
    IMG_9757.png
    197.4 KB · Views: 15
For the record, my BMW made quite a noise when it fell over in the shed..... and it did annoy me. My wife gave it a pass though, reffering to it as operator error.

Last edited:
Back