R18 - Aftermarket ECU options

The reason to wait for the 600 mile service is because there may be ECU or other software updates for your bike. If you have the Tune done and then the dealer does an update on the bike, then it’ll cost you another $100 to have the Tune map re-done. You need to restore the stock tune before bringing the bike to the dealer.
But if that doesn’t bother you then feel free to get the tune whenever you want.
As good a reason as any here.

I only have about 275 miles on the bike so the tune is going to have to wait until spring.
I really had no intention of taking the bike to the dealer for any service (we have five bikes and I do all my own service) and that’s why I was wondering what’s so special about the 600 mile service and what does the dealership do that zi cannot do myself?
You could call the dealer and see if there any updates for your bike for the interim of when it was made and when it sold.If it is a older bike you may need a update.It's really hard to say.Sorry I can't be of more help.I would also call Chris at BT Moto and ask him directly.

Talk to you later
TK

You could call the dealer and see if there any updates for your bike for the interim of when it was made and when it sold.If it is a older bike you may need a update.It's really hard to say.Sorry I can't be of more help.I would also call Chris at BT Moto and ask him directly.

Talk to you later
TK
I drove to St Louis to buy the bike. My local BMW dealer didn’t have much in the way of R18 inventory. So really don’t have any kind of relationship with the local dealership. I’ll email Gateway BMW and see if they can answer that for me.

My dealer told me there weren't any updates when I asked the service manager,Go Figure.LOL!

I was quoted $336 by my local dealership for the 600 mile service. That's only for the oil change, trans and differential fluid change and check for any updates.

That seems a little steep for what's included in the service. I replied to the email quote asking if there are any updates available.

I was quoted $336 by my local dealership for the 600 mile service. That's only for the oil change, trans and differential fluid change and check for any updates.

That seems a little steep for what's included in the service. I replied to the email quote asking if there are any updates available.

Um, isn't only engine fluid change? Look at the maintenance schedule.

Two reasons why we want the customer to wait for the 600 mile service on BMW bikes.

-A lot of the BMW's have limiters that are removed with the first. If BMW detects these limiters are removed prior to the first service, it's likely your warranty will become void. If BMW unlocks the bike before we tune it, there's no worry about this.

-BMW updates their software more often than any other manufacturer. This means your first service will include a software update and will no longer be compatible with our tuning. We would have to charge to make a new map in this case. We don't want to needlessly charge customers when this is pretty easy to avoid.

Then why are you asking?
Fluid for the transmission and final drive alone is over $180, unless you plan on using WallyWorld Gooprt Goop.
I am not asking...I guess I was being rhetorical...I apologize..600 mi service according to schedule is only changing engine *break in* oil.

I am not asking...I guess I was being rhetorical...I apologize..600 mi service according to schedule is only changing engine *break in* oil.
It actually says Running-in check including oil change in the manual. It makes no reference to being limited to engine oil. It is pretty common amongst BMWs that first service changes all lubricants for running in. R18 has 3 different oils that are regularly changed; engine, transmission and bevel gear. The specific running in check list for the R18 specified the engine and bevel gear oil is changed at first service.

It actually says Running-in check including oil change in the manual. It makes no reference to being limited to engine oil. It is pretty common amongst BMWs that first service changes all lubricants for running in. R18 has 3 different oils that are regularly changed; engine, transmission and bevel gear. The specific running in check list for the R18 specified the engine and bevel gear oil is changed at first service.

Still didn't mention trans oil...lol I did recheck the manual...*bevel* gear oil...yes, it did mention it. I am use to seeing *final drive* gear oil as what Honda specifies... guess a terminology adjustment period is in store for me..lol.. But your 'flippant' first reply was, I believe, maybe a bit superfluous...no?

Still didn't mention trans oil...lol I did recheck the manual...*bevel* gear oil...yes, it did mention it. I am use to seeing *final drive* gear oil as what Honda specifies... guess a terminology adjustment period is in store for me..lol.. But your 'flippant' first reply was, I believe, maybe a bit superfluous...no?
I had them change engine, transmission and rear/bevel gear oil with the 600mile service.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the off topic of fuel stabilizers =>

Perfect timing...that is for most of us in the Northern Hemisphere suffering through a cold, bleak Winter. I watched the entire video, and much of it was over dramatized to some degree, but I just HAD to comment. This is a very important issue for all of us storing bikes in Winter, and for me a major issue. First of all, let me make this very clear. ETHANOL SUCKS ARSE in every, and anyway possible! I absolutely DESPISE the politically motivated mandates that shove this shite down our throats! I cannot emphasize this enough. Ethanol offers no advantage what so ever technologically, and..in fact, it even burns less efficiently then gasoline.

*Gasoline* engines work best burning *gasoline*, NOT ethanol.. PERIOD.

However, the BIG HOWEVER is that *most* of us cannot GET ethanol free fuel.

I have learned over the years how to combat this by using both Stabil fuel stabilizer in Winter when I store my bikes...and tractor, mower, rototiller, chainsaws, weed whippers..etc., etc. and during the riding months use Stabil Marine formula ethanol fuel conditioner.

As a result ALL of my *gasoline* engines run PERFECTLY, and have run perfectly for nearly two decades. I don't care what this guy says...THEY WORK..and I know through my own experience. Well at least the products I use have.

Running an ethanol fuel conditioner also has benefits during the riding season. Your bike will run smoother, produce more HP and torque, AND will get better fuel mileage... In addition, your fuel system will remain clean. I have attached a picture of the product I have been using for years with great success. Lucas Oil also makes a great product as well, one that I have used as well. I prefer the Stabil Marine formula because it is concentrated, that is one ounce treats a whole tank of fuel...and it comes with a nifty measuring device built right into the container.

Attachments

• stabil.jpg
    stabil.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Yes the running in check list doesn’t specify the transmission oil needs to be changed for the R18, only the other two lubricants. But if you look at the manual’s maintenance schedule the transmission oil is the longest interval. Both engine and bevel oil need to change at least annually, while transmission oil is every 2 years after the first year. It looks like transmission oil first recommended change is at first annual service rather than run in.

Two reasons why we want the customer to wait for the 600 mile service on BMW bikes.

-A lot of the BMW's have limiters that are removed with the first. If BMW detects these limiters are removed prior to the first service, it's likely your warranty will become void. If BMW unlocks the bike before we tune it, there's no worry about this.

-BMW updates their software more often than any other manufacturer. This means your first service will include a software update and will no longer be compatible with our tuning. We would have to charge to make a new map in this case. We don't want to needlessly charge customers when this is pretty easy to avoid.
Thanks, I’ll wait and have the dealer do the first service before doing the tune.

Hi Adrian and welcome to the forum. You will get used to Black Dogs unique style and contribution to the discussion. Now I’m used to it I welcome it 😊

Back