R18 Huge power potential (RSD info)

In the video at the drag strip Roland did mention something like "getting the fueling" right at one point.... whatever that means.... the reference at the time sounded to me like an "active process".... will watch the video again to get a time reference at some stage.

Not on this bike. Its very well documented and is the only bike currently on the market that has wide band 02 sensors and an ecu that allows +- 20% adjustments in all tables. So basically its an auto tuner from the factory as bmw built this bike to be modded. you do have to use the fooler plugs for the exhaust valve to not trip a check engine light but nothing besides that need be done tuning wise to delete the cats and change the intake. You are right about the stock speed limiter if you wanna go faster then the speed limiter lets you go...
I get the wide band and +- 20%... thats great... but Anti foulers will give false readings to the wide band and the ecu wont properly tune itself...

I guess my point is, if someone does all this work and does not tune... it's more of a "look at me" than the actual benefit of maximum boxer potential.

Roland Sands might also be playing by BMW rules as too not to tune because they're an approved vendor... Who knows, just my two cents. and my biggest beef with this is the stock speed limiter and those awful HP stealing catalytic converters.

I get the wide band and +- 20%... thats great... but Anti foulers will give false readings to the wide band and the ecu wont properly tune itself...

I guess my point is, if someone does all this work and does not tune... it's more of a "look at me" than the actual benefit of maximum boxer potential.

Roland Sands might also be playing by BMW rules as too not to tune because they're an approved vendor... Who knows, just my two cents. and my biggest beef with this is the stock speed limiter and those awful HP stealing catalytic converters.
The plugs I was refering to are the Servo Buddy modules for the exhaust flapper once removed will trip a check engine light unless you plug in servo buddy modules. But their is nothing else that needs to be done as far as tricking the ecu or anything and it won't trip a check engine light for removing cats. But I agree with you that with tuning the gains will be even greater. With the mods they did plus tuning we could be looking at an R18 putting out 115-120whp and 140-150Wtrq which is bonkers!

Some more info from RSD.

"
Did multiple dyno runs with and without velocity stacks, v-stack screens and exhaust end caps. The bike was very sensitive to changes. It liked v-stacks, without screens and exhaust without end caps the best. 10 HP difference between all of the combos.

See dyno sheet and these number below that I found in an old email.

1. Velocity stacks WITH mesh screens installed & Exhaust end caps with 2” outlet
    1. 97.14 HP / 122.23 TQ
  2. No velocity stacks & Exhaust end caps with 2” outlet
    1. 105.88 HP / 130.93 TQ
  3. Velocity stacks NO mesh screens & Exhaust end caps with 2” outlet
    1. 107.60 HP / 130.63 TQ
  4. Velocity stack NO mesh screens & NO exhaust end caps (4” outlet)
    1. 107.75 HP / 135.34 TQ

These are the 54mm velocity stacks that we used Velocity Stacks - Shorty - with Ext. Screen - Modern Triumph Classics | Vintage DIY Motorcycle Parts | Dime City Cycles. They bolt directly onto the stock Bing throttlebody using set screws.

No science to the exhaust just style that we were going for. 2” u-bend out of the head (approx. 12-13” long) then into the megaphone/cone with no baffle. Cone is 2’ long with 2” inlet and 4” outlet."

Attachments

• Dyno Runs Initial Overlay ALL (6-26-20).jpg
    Dyno Runs Initial Overlay ALL (6-26-20).jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 19
Some more info from RSD.

"
Did multiple dyno runs with and without velocity stacks, v-stack screens and exhaust end caps. The bike was very sensitive to changes. It liked v-stacks, without screens and exhaust without end caps the best. 10 HP difference between all of the combos.

1. Velocity stacks WITH mesh screens installed & Exhaust end caps with 2” outlet
    1. 97.14 HP / 122.23 TQ
    1. 105.88 HP / 130.93 TQ
    1. 107.60 HP / 130.63 TQ
    1. 107.75 HP / 135.34 TQ

These are the 54mm velocity stacks that we used Velocity Stacks - Shorty - with Ext. Screen - Modern Triumph Classics | Vintage DIY Motorcycle Parts | Dime City Cycles. They bolt directly onto the stock Bing throttlebody using set screws.

No science to the exhaust just style that we were going for. 2” u-bend out of the head (approx. 12-13” long) then into the megaphone/cone with no baffle. Cone is 2’ long with 2” inlet and 4” outlet."
These are impressive gains from some rather simple mods. Though I’d guess most of us aren’t going to want to run stacks. Nonetheless, you can see how hamstrung the bike is from the factory.

I’ve done the DNA airbox mod and Brentune to positive seat-of-the-pants results. I’d be super curious to see someone Dyno across the few different off-the-shelf exhausts (Vance, Jekill, couple others) to see where the bang for the buck lies. If those Vance pipes can be had at 25% off (or better, depending on what deals bmw runs throughout the year) and can pop a few ponies in, that’s a winner for sure. Trouble right now is there doesn’t seem to be anyone who has swapped pipes who can speak much more about them than the sound benefits.

This is a big heavy bike to try and turn into a race bike. Personally I'll throw in the Bren tune map, swap out the air filter for some better air flow and call it a day. All I need is a bit more torque and I'm good. My interest is 0-60 anyway, I'm not even riding over 70-80 mph...I've done the race bike, race car, race boat thing....
You start swapping out things, and you are forced to swap out other things to compensate. You end up with an unreliable monster that runs when it wants to...and you never get a dime when you sell the bike for ALL your extra time and money...

This is a big heavy bike to try and turn into a race bike. Personally I'll throw in the Bren tune map, swap out the air filter for some better air flow and call it a day. All I need is a bit more torque and I'm good. My interest is 0-60 anyway, I'm not even riding over 70-80 mph...I've done the race bike, race car, race boat thing....
You start swapping out things, and you are forced to swap out other things to compensate. You end up with an unreliable monster that runs when it wants to...and you never get a dime when you sell the bike for ALL your extra time and money...
Lots of money and diminishing returns, too! You can eke out an easy 10-20% more power from an Evo Sportster for $1000 or so. After that, it’s nearly $500 a pony for cam work, head work, etc.

Im with you - that 0-60 is where my fun is. I’m just trying to enjoy some serene miles. The R18 pulls hard enough as it stands, but being a perpetual tinkerer, it’s hard to leave well enough alone.

I didn't realize that servicing the clutch was so intrusive... I'm going to be more mindful of my clutch work..
Ha! Saw that note and was like, “eeeesh, best be careful on that clutch!” That hourly dealer fee will stack up real quick if you gotta take the bike apart before you can even get to the piece to work on!

Ha! Saw that note and was like, “eeeesh, best be careful on that clutch!” That hourly dealer fee will stack up real quick if you gotta take the bike apart before you can even get to the piece to work on!
Not to mention, smart to keep the bike out of the shop, because every time someone works on it not to mention taking it apart, you risk scratches or damage....

I run the Brentune, DNA intake, and Freedom Performance slip on mufflers with no baffles. I haven't had the opportunity to Dyno it yet, but I am very happy with how it runs compared to factory. I've built a few hot-rodded-to-the-hilt Harleys in my time and this R18 makes me real happy for what I spent on performance mods.

Some more info from RSD.

"

1. 97.14 HP / 122.23 TQ
    1. 105.88 HP / 130.93 TQ
    1. 107.60 HP / 130.63 TQ
    1. 107.75 HP / 135.34 TQ

No science to the exhaust just style that we were going for. 2” u-bend out of the head (approx. 12-13” long) then into the megaphone/cone with
The volocity stacks they used are these.

https://www.dimecitycycles.com/mach...reen-fits-modern-triumph-twins-2001-2015.html

The muffler is 2x4x24" megaphone (no baffles) with a 4" aluminum endcap for looks. The exhaust piping is 2" from the head to the megaphone.
any info/link on the pipe they use between the cylinder and throttle body?

I run the Brentune, DNA intake, and Freedom Performance slip on mufflers with no baffles. I haven't had the opportunity to Dyno it yet, but I am very happy with how it runs compared to factory. I've built a few hot-rodded-to-the-hilt Harleys in my time and this R18 makes me real happy for what I spent on performance mods.
I’m 2/3 of the way with you. Haven’t nailed down whether I’ll do pipes. Swore I wouldn’t mod this one up like my other two, but I also only get to live once, so we’ll see!

I’m 2/3 of the way with you. Haven’t nailed down whether I’ll do pipes. Swore I wouldn’t mod this one up like my other two, but I also only get to live once, so we’ll see!
Just saw they upped the price of the Vance and Hines for the bagger and TC to nearly double what it was before Christmas! Might just stay stock, as they were the front runner.

Back