R18 Transcontinental or K1600 Grand America?

While I truly thank each and every one of you who served our country and earned patches, medals, valor, in the line up duty, I have always questioned patches earned for hobbies, especially motorcycle riding. After voluntarily, yet reluctantly, being off a bike for 20 years during the hectic years of raising a family, my wife would easily argue that awards of endurance represent nothing more than being an absent parent/spouse for many of those miles. After all, miles take time and no matter how special, gifted, talented each of us are in our own respective areas of interest, we all only have 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week and 365 days in a year. Though a fair assumption to make is that the more safe miles put on two wheels, the more skill and luck have been present.

While I truly thank each and every one of you who served our country and earned patches, medals, valor, in the line up duty, I have always questioned patches earned for hobbies, especially motorcycle riding. After voluntarily, yet reluctantly, being off a bike for 20 years during the hectic years of raising a family, my wife would easily argue that awards of endurance represent nothing more than being an absent parent/spouse for many of those miles. After all, miles take time and no matter how special, gifted, talented each of us are in our own respective areas of interest, we all only have 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week and 365 days in a year. Though a fair assumption to make is that the more safe miles put on two wheels, the more skill and luck have been present.
You took 20 years off to Raise a family?
My wife and childtren went with me on most of my rides. You see, my wife also rode.
My dog now loves to ride with me.
Do you recognize any of those "Badges"?
"Badges, I don't need no stinking badges"

Dog Is My Copilot.jpg

Last edited:
You took 20 years off to Raise a family?
My wife and childtren went with me on most of my rides. You see, my wife also rode.
My dog now loves to ride with me.
Do you recognize any of those "Badges"?
"Badges, I don't need no stinking badges"

View attachment 2390
if the wife and kids tagged along, then that is fantastic! My wife rode with me when we were dating, but we had two motorcycle fatalities too close to our house for my wife’s comfort: one literally at the end of our street and one less than 1/2 mile up the road. After those, the bike got sold and I was told no riding as we were about to start a family. After 20 years, my wife softened her stance and said that I could get a bike again and kill myself if I wanted to, but that she wouldn’t tag along as the kids needed at least one of us around. It’s been solo for me since then.

You have my condolences.
Since we are comparing resumes.
I have been riding motorcycle since 1964. Rode them in the U.S., Philippines, VierNam, Australia, China, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Bolivia, Argentina.
Made beach landings under fire in 1969. Lost track of the number of helicopter assaults.
Hard landing in a rice paddy aboard a CH46 when a bullet took out a hydraulic line.
Captured searched and guarded enemy POWs.
Drag raced motorcycles in the early 70s
Built and raced dirt track and asphalt cars in the late 70s, early 80s.
I have been on six of the seven continents, and to Tierra del Fuego, as far South as you can go without going to Antartica.
I have worked in Brazil, China, VietNam, Saudi Arabia, Ausrtalia, as well as 8 different states in the U.S.
Had 2 wives die of cancer caused by smoking.
One day I was 71 and the next I was 72, at that rate I figure by Christmas I will be over 100.
In the last 16 months I have had 2 heart attacks, an aortic aneurysm, prostrate surgery, kidney failure and spend 3 days a week in dialysis, hell I ride the motorcycles to the dialysis clinic and to the VA for medical appointments.
But still I ride motorcycles, fly airplanes and saddle break horses(very carefully).
You only live once, drive life like stolen car and face death with a grin. I have grinned many times yet here I still am.
My wife is in Barra do Jucu, Espirito Santo, Brasil and I have not been able to travel there for over 2 years now.

Being only 52, I was in diapers still for so many of your adventures! Not too often I feel young these days, but in this instance, I’m merely a child! By comparison, I’m embarrassed by my resume’. The good Lord above blessed me with lightening in my right arm, enough so that I earned a living for a few years pitching a baseball. Lots of great stories from those years, but not for public consumption. All good things must come to an end, so the fun didn’t last forever. Pretty embarrassed by how screwed up our society is in so many ways that one can get paid to play a game. I suppose there is some merit in the “entertainment industry” aspect of justification. Very different backgrounds but would be great to sit down over a bourbon or three some day to meet and share some memories.

He’s opening up TV! We’ll soften the tough guy up slowly but surely!
"While I truly thank each and every one of you who served our country and earned patches, medals, valor, in the line up duty,"
So, you are ashamed of your life and the above statement is bullsheeet from your keyboard.
Soften up? How many of your friends names are on the wall in D.C.?
You are 52, where you in 1990-91? I was in Al Jabael, Saudi Arabia.

Scan 3.jpeg

Last edited:
Being only 52, I was in diapers still for so many of your adventures! Not too often I feel young these days, but in this instance, I’m merely a child! By comparison, I’m embarrassed by my resume’. The good Lord above blessed me with lightening in my right arm, enough so that I earned a living for a few years pitching a baseball. Lots of great stories from those years, but not for public consumption. All good things must come to an end, so the fun didn’t last forever. Pretty embarrassed by how screwed up our society is in so many ways that one can get paid to play a game. I suppose there is some merit in the “entertainment industry” aspect of justification. Very different backgrounds but would be great to sit down over a bourbon or three some day to meet and share some memories.
So, you are ashamed of your life

So, you are ashamed of your life
Slightly embarrassed that while you and others were out fighting our battles and defending our freedoms, I was playing baseball and chasing tail back here in the states. Not ashamed though. My dad died when I was 16, so I learned to support myself from a relatively young age.

Tony's in Birch Run is one of my favorite restaurants
40 miles north of my home! My biggest challenge in life is controlling my food intake, thus Tony’s near the top of the list of places I should never visit. When my kids were student drivers, I’d make them jump in the car to Tony’s for a little highway experience and of course the pound of bacon for breakfast.

I have both R18 classic and K16GA.
If I were to choose again I'd go with R18 Transcontinental.
The bike this size POWER and speed is not that essential, comfort, cruising with plenty of torque is more important. Plus is a boxer engine, boxer is bmw.

I have both R18 classic and K16GA.
If I were to choose again I'd go with R18 Transcontinental.
The bike this size POWER and speed is not that essential, comfort, cruising with plenty of torque is more important. Plus is a boxer engine, boxer is bmw.
Many great arguments for each, thank you. The older I get the less inclined I am for the need to cruise at 100+MPH although I do love technology and except the current dashboard the K1600 appears to be cutting edge. Both are beautiful. Torque and styling the R18 represents most what I've spent a lifetime with so there is a significant attraction.. Comfort, comfort, lower wind noise ( helmet buffeting) , 2 up comfort, enough torque/ Horsepower for loaded touring, easy parking lot navigation and an easy to read dashboard are what I am looking for. Of course handling and reliability are a needed given.

You have my condolences.
Since we are comparing resumes.
I have been riding motorcycle since 1964. Rode them in the U.S., Philippines, VierNam, Australia, China, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Bolivia, Argentina.
Made beach landings under fire in 1969. Lost track of the number of helicopter assaults.
Hard landing in a rice paddy aboard a CH46 when a bullet took out a hydraulic line.
Captured searched and guarded enemy POWs.
Drag raced motorcycles in the early 70s
Built and raced dirt track and asphalt cars in the late 70s, early 80s.
I have been on six of the seven continents, and to Tierra del Fuego, as far South as you can go without going to Antartica.
I have worked in Brazil, China, VietNam, Saudi Arabia, Ausrtalia, as well as 8 different states in the U.S.
Had 2 wives die of cancer caused by smoking.
One day I was 71 and the next I was 72, at that rate I figure by Christmas I will be over 100.
In the last 16 months I have had 2 heart attacks, an aortic aneurysm, prostrate surgery, kidney failure and spend 3 days a week in dialysis, hell I ride the motorcycles to the dialysis clinic and to the VA for medical appointments.
But still I ride motorcycles, fly airplanes and saddle break horses(very carefully).
You only live once, drive life like stolen car and face death with a grin. I have grinned many times yet here I still am.
My wife is in Barra do Jucu, Espirito Santo, Brasil and I have not been able to travel there for over 2 years now.
Never let up. Keep the hammer down!

For me the k1600 is the ultimate and best 2-up touring bike. The incredible power, the most excellent quick shifter, and the absolutely remarkable handling is all just gravy on the most comfortable bike for both of us two up we have
ever ridden.

On the k1600 6-700 mile days were not uncommon when we needed to. I don't even want to find out how I would feel after 700 miles on my R 18.

Wow. Just wow. Let's see, for those 20 years you were not riding I was riding 15 miles per day, and put on about 110,000 miles.

Likely a highly involved parent who just happened to commute on their bike to earn a living to support said family could rack up twice that.

There is so much to unpack here.

Many great arguments for each, thank you. The older I get the less inclined I am for the need to cruise at 100+MPH although I do love technology and except the current dashboard the K1600 appears to be cutting edge. Both are beautiful. Torque and styling the R18 represents most what I've spent a lifetime with so there is a significant attraction.. Comfort, comfort, lower wind noise ( helmet buffeting) , 2 up comfort, enough torque/ Horsepower for loaded touring, easy parking lot navigation and an easy to read dashboard are what I am looking for. Of course handling and reliability are a needed given.
If you are need to do 100+mph. K16GA has speed limited at 100mph, only B, GTL, and GT that can goes above 100mph factory.
Well and if you gold is speed, I can assure you that K engine is what you need highly addicted. Its scream louder than my GSA LC, is faster than R18. However, I'm not sure there going to be a new model or not, depends on where you are the 2018 produced stock may not be available.

I didn't see anyone mention anything about ease of maintenance. For me, the K turn-off is that you have the tear the bike apart to practically do any simple maintenance. That's expensive if you do it yourself (my time is worth something) or paying someone to do it. The more you ride, the more maintenance is required to keep it going trouble free. Just getting near the engine for plugs or valves on the K requires radiator removal vs jugs out in the wind for the R18. Same goes for simple air filter change. I looked at the many versions of K's and went with an RT before my current main touring bike. There's a lot to be said about simplicity. I'll gladly trade hyper performance for ease of ownership that includes stress-free maintenance.

Back