R18 Transcontinental or K1600 Grand America?

There was an earlier comment about a large difference between the base r18, r18 classic and Transcontinental I have to agree. Dealer was gracious enough to let me take a bike out for the afternoon while they did my initial service and I took the base R18 . Though a really fun bike no comparison to ride comfort or lean angles to the transcontinental.
Meh. Whatever distance you create with 3 additional degrees of lean won't matter given 200 additional pounds and the exact same engine.

/test rode a TC
//it's a bike I'd consider if I were 65
///no risk of ever getting into trouble on that one

Meh. Whatever distance you create with 3 additional degrees of lean won't matter given 200 additional pounds and the exact same engine.

/test rode a TC
//it's a bike I'd consider if I were 65
///no risk of ever getting into trouble on that one
What exactly does being 65 have to do with it? Having been born in 1956 I resemble that remark

😂
I was shooting for an age older than me but not too old. That window is getting smaller and smaller...

I could amend it to 75?
You almost got me with that one.
3 degrees out of round and a half bubble off does not make a Popsicle more than a popsicle.
Additional 200 pounds on the other hand does make for a heavier lead sled.
If you are looking for a rowdy rider, you have picked the wrong Jeopardy category.
Do you want a pair of Titanium knee sliders to go with that R18TC?

Last edited:
Slightly embarrassed that while you and others were out fighting our battles and defending our freedoms, I was playing baseball and chasing tail back here in the states. Not ashamed though. My dad died when I was 16, so I learned to support myself from a relatively young age.
Hi Tim

I too have spent a lifetime in what others might consider an adventurous life. A decorated military veteran from the Diving and EOD world followed by 35 years and counting in the offshore oil & gas industry as a deep sea diver and manager. The thing is I have loved every minute of it and did it for my own gratification as much as anything else. As long as you have been a good person you have just as much to be proud of as myself or anyone else. Be proud of that, and if you have a family, ask them who their hero is. I bet my bottom dollar it will be you.

Apart from that. Loving my new Classic for the 70 odd miles I have been able to put on it before going away for another month offshore.

USMC ammunition and explosives, MOS 2311, served with 2 BLTs, 2/26 and 3/1 1968-70, worked all over the word, Saudi Arabia, China, Vietnam, and all over the U.S. all time favorite was the years I spent in Brazil, worst was 2 years in West Virginia. Almost 60 years riding motorcycles, plan on riding one to my own funeral.

USMC ammunition and explosives, MOS 2311, served with 2 BLTs, 2/26 and 3/1 1968-70, worked all over the word, Saudi Arabia, China, Vietnam, and all over the U.S. all time favorite was the years I spent in Brazil, worst was 2 years in West Virginia. Almost 60 years riding motorcycles, plan on riding one to my own funeral.
Would love to get together and talk war stories. Yours would completely trump mine but a good time would be had in the telling. :)

Traded in my 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour manual for the TC. I find myself missing the ease of access to certain functions on the GW. Being able to just hit a physical button the turn on/off heated grips and seat will be missed. But not as much as that height adjustable windshield! BUT the TC is some how more enjoyable to me? After the smoothness of the GW the vibes from the TC are enjoyable and give it a character that my GW just didn't have. I recently mentioned to a coworker that my GW was such a good bike that it bored me. BTW I have owned two Suzuki M109R's over the years and it was just raw! Though not close in power the TC is a more practical M109R replacement for me than the GW turned out to be. BTW the M109R's only safety feature was it's non ABS breaks! lol

Attachments

• 2iWdiy_TOCbFiK1Jinwb2tVWml13trfOZm9JXjLo2qdLwGQfL7BO30k-2VEv4dqf (1).jpg
    2iWdiy_TOCbFiK1Jinwb2tVWml13trfOZm9JXjLo2qdLwGQfL7BO30k-2VEv4dqf (1).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20201112_073737_020.JPG
    IMG_20201112_073737_020.JPG
    976.9 KB · Views: 10
Traded in my 2018 Honda Goldwing Tour manual for the TC. I find myself missing the ease of access to certain functions on the GW. Being able to just hit a physical button the turn on/off heated grips and seat will be missed. But not as much as that height adjustable windshield! BUT the TC is some how more enjoyable to me? After the smoothness of the GW the vibes from the TC are enjoyable and give it a character that my GW just didn't have. I recently mentioned to a coworker that my GW was such a good bike that it bored me. BTW I have owned two Suzuki M109R's over the years and it was just raw! Though not close in power the TC is a more practical M109R replacement for me than the GW turned out to be. BTW the M109R's only safety feature was it's non ABS breaks! lol
That was a pretty GW

For all those who say “they have had both”. The post is asking about the Transcontinental, not just a R18, but that specific model. The TC is configured very differently then the classic, and not just the hard bags, but the rake and other changes.

As I just picked up the first Transcontinental delivered in the Chicago area last Friday, and only have 400 miles on it since then, I highly doubt any of the people that are saying that they have owned both are specifically talking about a Transcontinental, but rather just a regular R18, which is a different bike.

I have put more miles on my TC in the last couple days and will say there is serious vibration over 85 miles per hour that I don’t think is acceptable for this bike.

I don't the think the original posters choice in comparisons is a good one. Again, the R18 TC and the K1600 are two very different bikes. In my opinion, the K1600 should be comparable to the new Goldwing Tour, and the R18 Trans should be compared to the Harley Ultra Limited and that family of bikes.
Get used to the vibration, BMW intentionally built that in the mimic the Harley, thus the Rock mode, ROCK does not mean Rock solid..

Get used to the vibration, BMW intentionally built that in the mimic the Harley, thus the Rock mode, ROCK does not mean Rock solid..
No actually the newer Harleys once off engine idle have no vibration. They are either balanced engine or rubber mounted.. After not being on my 2018 Road King Special for 2 months having too much fun on my Transcontinental I jumped back on it the other day. The first thing that struck me was how smooth it was at all RPMs . The second was how fast it was comparatively , it does have stage II with 101 HP at the rear wheel. I went 15 miles turned around and went back for the Transcontinental and glad I did continuing a nice 200 mile country road ride. Just like all the BMW automobiles I've owned, there is driver excitement engineered into the design and it shows. As far as the vibration on the Transcontinental , yes at first it was off putting but now that I have 2000 miles on it I understand it's part of the feedback which provides excitement.

My understanding is that the vibration baked into Rock mode is at idle. To my knowledge (and my experience with my Classic), there isn't any difference in vibration between modes while underway. Also, I don't notice any increase in vibration over 80mph.

I recently sold my 2018 Grand America, and just bought an R18 TC FE. Highway stability beats the Grand America hands down, which was a big issue for me. Aside from the GA’s stability issue, I just found it a bit boring after a while. To me, the R18 TC is more engaging and visceral. Yeah, she’s a heavy girl, but once off the center stand and moving that weight is pretty much gone.

I recently sold my 2018 Grand America, and just bought an R18 TC FE. Highway stability beats the Grand America hands down, which was a big issue for me. Aside from the GA’s stability issue, I just found it a bit boring after a while. To me, the R18 TC is more engaging and visceral. Yeah, she’s a heavy girl, but once off the center stand and moving that weight is pretty much gone.
And that is why Harley riders have loved the hogs for so long.

No actually the newer Harleys once off engine idle have no vibration. They are either balanced engine or rubber mounted.. After not being on my 2018 Road King Special for 2 months having too much fun on my Transcontinental I jumped back on it the other day. The first thing that struck me was how smooth it was at all RPMs . The second was how fast it was comparatively , it does have stage II with 101 HP at the rear wheel. I went 15 miles turned around and went back for the Transcontinental and glad I did continuing a nice 200 mile country road ride. Just like all the BMW automobiles I've owned, there is driver excitement engineered into the design and it shows. As far as the vibration on the Transcontinental , yes at first it was off putting but now that I have 2000 miles on it I understand it's part of the feedback which provides excitement.
My .02 cents, I have only had more than one bike in the garage once which was my 09 Ultra classic and a Concours 14 when we were deciding on what to ride next for 2up touring. We were getting tired of the weight of Harley. So given that there is no perfect do it all bike we landed on a K1600B for the time being. If it works out and I can add a 2nd to the garage it will be something with as little overlap as possible maybe an ADV bike or an around town cruiser which the R18 could fill. But our experience with the K bike as been great smooth and comfy and we haven't experienced the dirty air issues as some have (heavily discussed on the forums). Glad to hear you are enjoying your bikes and nothing wrong with having an HD to tinker with....

JJ

IMO, the best long-range touring bike is the Honda Goldwing. I rode my 02 variant from Olympia, WA to Maryland, and then down to Alabama.

Have also owned a K1600 GTL and rode it extensively - but rarely long range. Recently picked up an R18 Tranny, but no long-range trips on it yet.

My K bike was a fine machine for longer-range trips, but it was so sporty that I was easily drawn into being a jackass on it - the R18 is a cruiser, and the temptation to "show out" on it is significantly less.

IMO, the best long-range touring bike is the Honda Goldwing. I rode my 02 variant from Olympia, WA to Maryland, and then down to Alabama.

Have also owned a K1600 GTL and rode it extensively - but rarely long range. Recently picked up an R18 Tranny, but no long-range trips on it yet.

My K bike was a fine machine for longer-range trips, but it was so sporty that I was easily drawn into being a jackass on it - the R18 is a cruiser, and the temptation to "show out" on it is significantly less.
I agree as I just purchased a 2022 Goldwing Tour DCT and I don’t think you could ask for another feature on a long distance touring bike . I put the 2022 BMW Transcontinental up for sale and haven’t ridden it after getting the Wing until today. Holy crap is the Transcontinental fun to ride . I may have to change my mind on selling it .

I sold a K1600 GTL that I ride for 10 years (I got bike #2 from the dealer!) to buy the R18 TC. IMO it's an apples and oranges comparison. Personally, I am more comfortable on the TC, especially in the hands, wrists, arms, shoulders. On the K1600, I would have to take a break after riding for an hour due to the weight on my wrists, but I have a left wrist injury. The 1600 is a fun motor but you can get stupid real quick. The TC turns heads like no other, and I really like the power band for daily city riding. I'll get a long ride in on the TC soon.

Back