R18 vs R18 Classic

motoring

I will speak to the dealer, though the die is pretty much cast for me to get the left over new 2021 R18 (comes with the R18 package box of stuff). My cost nets out to under $11k (excluding title, reg, tax fees).

They have a used 21 Classic for $13,800 all the goodies...including Cruise control. It only has 2years left on the warranty though oddly has only 593 miles on it.

I know the Classic has a fatter front tire, thinking handlebars are the same. Believe due to the front tire it might not turn/turn-in as quick as the R18 does though maybe cushion the bumps a drop better. Plus those running lights do look nice (guess one could just add Clearwater running lights to the engine guard on the R18 that I am having put on). The screen is not great from what I hear, maybe adding memphis lowers helps.

Then again, I figure for the $2,800plus difference I could buy a lot of windscreen and running lights thus maybe that fat front tire would not matter that much.

• Wow
Reactions: Vyk
yes, seems the best price for value :)
The sales guy will be on vacation the day I am taking a greyhound bus up to Chicago IL bus station (figure the odds). It is an hour south of the Cycle Werks dealership in Barrington. Thus figure I have to pay another $100 for an Uber ride to the dealer sadly. Sales guy was picking me up was the prior plan. Sometimes I guess it is almost less expensive to pay the $600 to ship the darn thing...

Is it a First Edition?
You know the Sales guy had a different take...he felt the first R18 were all First Editions (just they came with the gift box). Believe he also called them a R18 Pure.
Which I infer to mean if it is a 2021 R18 and has the pen stripe plus all the extra options offered back along with the R18 goodie box then it is referred to as a FE.

At any rate the buyers order says it is an R18 and comes with the pen stripe and gift box.

Last edited:
Reactions: Qbp
Doing the base R18 though do like the look of the Classic. Trying to save $ though once purchased it will go out the door if one adds things to the bike or changes them...unless find some good deals on the 'parts for sale' section of the site :)

The R18 Pure & R18 Classic are the same bike with some accessory differences. Most visible is the Classic adds a windshield, driving lights and saddlebags. The saddlebags also mean a swap to more traditional exhaust pipes to ensure clearance. The fork is the same. Although the front tire/wheel is a different wheel diameter, the outer diameter is the same. So handling is similar. Because the Classic has a smaller wheel, the tire has more sidewall to make the same overall diameter and as a result is slightly more compliant over bumps than the Pure. The Classic also comes with cruise control (and most also come with footboards and heel/toe shifter).

I went thru a similar debate over which model to get. I test rode the Pure, Classic and the Bagger several times before settling on the Classic. For me, the flexibility of the Classic won out. I can swap the windshield in 30 seconds and the bags in about 10 minutes, stripping it down to a bike like the Pure. But as the weather gets colder, the windshield is very helpful, but I like that it's not permanent like a fairing to get more airflow in hot weather. The bags mean I can use it for weekend trips (I've taken mine camping). The driving lights add extra visibility in dark secluded roads. Cruise control is great for longer rides and I've come to like the footboards and heel/toe shifter as it offers a variety of positions I can have my feet on.

Consider your intended use case and the model that makes sense will be clear. While you can add almost everything on the Classic to the Pure (cruise control isn't retrofittable on very early R18 Pure units), it is much more expensive to do so than getting it bundled together up front.

T
The R18 Pure & R18 Classic are the same bike with some accessory differences. Most visible is the Classic adds a windshield, driving lights and saddlebags. The saddlebags also mean a swap to more traditional exhaust pipes to ensure clearance. The fork is the same. Although the front tire/wheel is a different wheel diameter, the outer diameter is the same. So handling is similar. Because the Classic has a smaller wheel, the tire has more sidewall to make the same overall diameter and as a result is slightly more compliant over bumps than the Pure. The Classic also comes with cruise control (and most also come with footboards and heel/toe shifter).

I went thru a similar debate over which model to get. I test rode the Pure, Classic and the Bagger several times before settling on the Classic. For me, the flexibility of the Classic won out. I can swap the windshield in 30 seconds and the bags in about 10 minutes, stripping it down to a bike like the Pure. But as the weather gets colder, the windshield is very helpful, but I like that it's not permanent like a fairing to get more airflow in hot weather. The bags mean I can use it for weekend trips (I've taken mine camping). The driving lights add extra visibility in dark secluded roads. Cruise control is great for longer rides and I've come to like the footboards and heel/toe shifter as it offers a variety of positions I can have my feet on.

Consider your intended use case and the model that makes sense will be clear. While you can add almost everything on the Classic to the Pure (cruise control isn't retrofittable on very early R18 Pure units), it is much more expensive to do so than getting it bundled together up front.
Great info, sadly I was ‘late’ to the Party and did not even consider a Classic…which I should have and your thought bear that out. Dealer had a killer deal on a used one with almost no miles and I was not focused on that bike so did not even give it a thought.

Best I can do now is toss a cheap aftermarket cafe S fairing on the front and leave the stock bars on the R18FE. Later will try to source some bags. I already have two sit and beg riding style bikes (2012 honda nc700x and 2019 goldwing tour dct).

Presently I just have to hope I will luck out and like the cafe S with standard bars. I will not travel over 100 miles (I figure at most) on the FE in a day and this riding style will be a bit different with the Cafe S fairing (just knocking the wind blast off the chest a bit and maybe smooth helmet air flow).

Maybe it was meant to be since I have the .9 for 36 months which lets me keep my emergency fund $ if needed for other things.

T

Great info, sadly I was ‘late’ to the Party and did not even consider a Classic…which I should have and your thought bear that out. Dealer had a killer deal on a used one with almost no miles and I was not focused on that bike so did not even give it a thought.

Best I can do now is toss a cheap aftermarket cafe S fairing on the front and leave the stock bars on the R18FE. Later will try to source some bags. I already have two sit and beg riding style bikes (2012 honda nc700x and 2019 goldwing tour dct).

Presently I just have to hope I will luck out and like the cafe S with standard bars. I will not travel over 100 miles (I figure at most) on the FE in a day and this riding style will be a bit different with the Cafe S fairing (just knocking the wind blast off the chest a bit and maybe smooth helmet air flow).

Maybe it was meant to be since I have the .9 for 36 months which lets me keep my emergency fund $ if needed for other things.
If you're only planning on very short trips like 100 miles in a day, the Pure is perfect for that. I actually like riding without the windshield as it has smoother helmet air flow, so try it out before you add on a mini fairing. With that short a day, you may even be able to stick with the stock seat. Since you already have the Goldwing for longer touring rides, while there are some OEM small panniers for the R18 Pure, you might just consider using a backpack for short trips. I have the frame bag on my R18 that I have on always to carry a handful of items and I use a backpack if I need a little more space for a longer day ride. I only put the panniers on for overnight trips.

For me, ~100 miles is when I'm running out for a quick ride before work starts, so my riding style might not be a good comparison. As an example, last weekend I took the R18 on a 130 mile ride to get a coffee.

Game plan is to keep the free Day Rider seat dealer gave me as part of the deal, though did pay for the driver back rest (both brown color) since it is a 4 hr ride from dealer back to Ft Wayne IN. Think the Weekender is the next seat upgrade in comfort (black only) then upgrade in comfort from that is the Cross County (aso in black). Not at home so don’t recall which is a single piece seat…maybe the Weekender (?). If Weekender then maybe that also is the one that does not allow u to add a driver backrest.

Thinking Cross County would offer most support/comfort but look butt ugly on the bike as it is so wide. Slight chance I would deal with that if it did not create issues when side of legs feeling comfortable at traffic light. Though if the Day Rider is good enough to live with (since I can get it in brown) might just live with that one.

It is a 4hr ride though so not certain if I want to try that without any screen protection. The knock off cafe S fairing is only $149 before tax and I could have it drop shipped to dealer. Takes only tools that come with the R18 to install it in 15 minutes a owner of the screen said on fb.

Game plan is to keep the free Day Rider seat dealer gave me as part of the deal, though did pay for the driver back rest (both brown color) since it is a 4 hr ride from dealer back to Ft Wayne IN. Think the Weekender is the next seat upgrade in comfort (black only) then upgrade in comfort from that is the Cross County (aso in black). Not at home so don’t recall which is a single piece seat…maybe the Weekender (?). If Weekender then maybe that also is the one that does not allow u to add a driver backrest.

Thinking Cross County would offer most support/comfort but look butt ugly on the bike as it is so wide. Slight chance I would deal with that if it did not create issues when side of legs feeling comfortable at traffic light. Though if the Day Rider is good enough to live with (since I can get it in brown) might just live with that one.
The Cross-Country is the one piece seat. I have the Weekender and it is a great upgrade over the stock seat. Others have the Day Rider and said it was also an improvement. If you're limiting to 100 miles a day, I think the Day Rider is likely more than enough. My weekender is plenty comfortable for 400 mile days and I have the back rest too for longer rides. Like you, I'm not keen on how the bike looks with the Cross-Country, so it was never an option for me. Stock seat for me was no more than 45-60 minutes at a go, but anything aftermarket will be much better.

Great, thanks. Then choice is between Day Rider in Brown (like to off set the all black look of the R18 a bit), or a Weekender though that only comes in black. Dealer is ordering a Weekender for stock though setting it aside for me to try out. Guess a short ride on both will let me make a choice :)
It would cost me $200 to upgrade to the Weekender seat from the, free to me, Day Rider.
Post a photo of your luggage traveling carrying setup. Would be nice to see.

Last edited:
Great, thanks. Then choice is between Day Rider in Brown (like to off set the all black look of the R18 a bit), or a Weekender though that only comes in black. Dealer is ordering a Weekender for stock though setting it aside for me to try out. Guess a short ride on both will let me make a choice :)
It would cost me $200 to upgrade to the Weekender seat from the, free to me, Day Rider.
Post a photo of your luggage traveling carrying setup. Would be nice to see.
Sounds good on the option for Weekender for a good deal. The Weekender will be a little wider than the day rider, so it will have a bit more support, but the Day Rider may look better on the bike.

Here was my Classic with the camping setup on the Wunderlich rack:

IMG_0735.jpeg
It is a Wingman on the Road swag style of tent. 3 minutes to be fully setup with built-in sleeping pad & bag.

IMG_0740.jpeg

Darn, does not seem to be a lot of love for the R18(FE/Pure) base model. Guess that can sort of make sense since you get the windscreen and the bags with the Classic...plus cruise control (vs none one R18FE).

At any rate, R18 club member meeting at end of the month. Never mind...I might be the only one at the Donut Shop.

Darn, does not seem to be a lot of love for the R18(FE/Pure) base model. Guess that can sort of make sense since you get the windscreen and the bags with the Classic...plus cruise control (vs none one R18FE).

At any rate, R18 club member meeting at end of the month. Never mind...I might be the only one at the Donut Shop.
The Pure was the first R18 model and was/is groundbreaking as a result. It is a beautiful example of distilling a motorcycle to its essence. I love that it was made and made it possible for other variants like the Classic, B and Transcontinental to be made.

I wouldn’t confuse practical considerations that might cause someone to choose another R18 model with a lack of love for the Pure. They all share the same heart that the Pure pioneered and that alone warrants respect.

Back