R18 vs R18 Classic

I am doing the base R18FE without Cruise. Figure some may feel it is worth the extra $1,000 for cruise but will live with out it even though I really wanted it.
Dude it is SOOO worth $1000!.. You said you were 65 right? If you haven't experienced it yet...you will probably in the future ...that is neuropathy arthritis, hand cramps, etc., in the near future .. I just turned 62 and have experienced all of the above...Cruise is a ride saver HARD CORE...and throttle locks utterly SUCK in comparison. Plus with cruise you learn quickly to steer with no hands as the bike is perfectly balanced. I use cruise all the time now...and the R18's system works flawlessly. Spend the extra *smart* cash, you're buying a Beemer man.

Last edited:
The Pure was the first R18 model and was/is groundbreaking as a result. It is a beautiful example of distilling a motorcycle to its essence. I love that it was made and made it possible for other variants like the Classic, B and Transcontinental to be made.

I wouldn’t confuse practical considerations that might cause someone to choose another R18 model with a lack of love for the Pure. They all share the same heart that the Pure pioneered and that alone warrants respect.
I love my Pure, the spoke wheels and blacked out forks alone made it the only choice for me.

News Update Flash (lol).
Worked out a final deal, will be getting the 2021 R18FE bike with Cruise :) Weekender seat plus get the stock seat (figure will take that to Daytona in October to see if they have a front seat I could switch it out for). Added the back rest plus engine guard and leg rest (just cause it is so weird).

Oddly, it seemed to me, I was told the base R18 did not come with a steering damper...only bikes with Cruise get it (or so it seems). Just a trivia point of interest if correct.

I do have cruise on my 05 r1200rt and love how it works. Indeed as we age things happen. Even had a finger now and then decide to lock up all on its own. What a strange 'new' feeling that was I tell you lol. Golden years are not for the faint of heart.

Again, Adrain, thank you sir. I never would have called them back to inquire about about cruise if not for your post.

Last edited:
Good points, thanks

Cost with Weekender seat after all rebates and bmw 6 pays, excluding taxes:
R18FE no cruise - $10,492
R18FE with cruise - $11,697
Classic (with pegs) - $13,297
Classic (floor boards) - $14,267

So...it cost
$1,200 extra to get cruise on a R18FE (I get to keep the original stock R18FE seat also)
$2,797 to go from R18FE(no cruise) to Classic with foot pegs
$3,767 to go from R18FE (no cruise) to Classic with floor boards

Comparing models with Cruise control
$1,600 to go from R18FE with cruise to Classic with foot pegs
$2,570 to go from R18FE with cruise to Classic Floor boards

The only extra I would really like is the Cruise added to the base R18FE though that the seat upgrade is a $472 vs $200 (net $272 more...not a biggie really I guess) going from R18FE no cruise to R18FFE with cruise.
Thus $1,000 more/less to get cruise on a base R18FE plus $272 more for the seat on R18FE with cruise.

Once one accepts that extra $1k cost then need to feel it is worth another $1,600 to move from R18FE with cruise to the Classic with foot pegs else more yet...$2,570 to get Classic with Floor boards

I do like the Classic looks, with out without bags due to those spot lights (maybe they shake a bit on that bmw light bar I thought I heard). Then again adding Clearwater spot lights to enginue guard could work the the R18FE.

I do like the straight exhaust though if doing the R18FE could live with the balloon ones since that is a signature look on that model and loud sound does not matter to me. Plus, the R18FE could have a Cafe S screen added and look kick ass I feel, add a rear rack and toss over bags if needed for a ride and call it a day

I know the floor boards would cost just too much used to add to a R18FE and no option to add Cruise after the fact on the R18FE I would get without cruise due to manufacturer date being too early.

So...maybe it is the base R18FE, R18FE with Cruise (10,492 vs 11.697) else Classic with foot pegs. Else just say what the hell and blow another $3,767 (RF no cruise) to get the Classic with floor boards (my guess it they give you more room to move your feet around a bit).
Are the classic model mentioned 2021 model?

Are the classic model mentioned 2021 model?
Say what the he'll and get the on that you really want. Those are AMAZING prices and if you're getting the 6 months paid by BMW they are picking up over 15% of the upgrade (if I'm doing my math right). You won't regret the money you spent. You will regret not owning the model that you really wanted. One other thing: There is a guy selling all the parts for the floorboard upgrade. He figures that just the parts at retail are over $2600 (never mind the installation hassle). If you think you want factory floorboards don't add them later!

I am good with the R18FE with cruise. I know the reasons to want/upgrade to a Classic I think :)
If I did more riding then I can see the benefit of a Classic, hell it just looks bad ass to begin with. Though my thinking is we are talking about 3.7” rear travel, granted the Classic front tire and height make a difference but for my needs it is not worth that extra money for the limited riding I will be doing on this bike.

And your right, it is crazy stupid the price to add floor boards and such after the fact. Due to that fact I will not add floor boards unless they fell into my lap at a crazy cheap price. I will get by with foot pegs and the Weekender seat set up.

Heck, it was crazy money just to get the cruise control in the deal and though I won’t put many miles on her I will like havng cruise on instances when it will be used.

Trust me I get the desire for the Classic and what if offers. If was my only ride I could see doing it but it is not as I have other bikes as well. Plus if a R18 was my only ride I would probably move up to a Bagger or TC.

Last edited:
Moderators I have nothing else to add to this thread I started. I have now purchased a motorcycle. Unless others on the forum feel a need to keep it open I think it’s OK to close this thread to further discussion. If that is a thing this site does/offers.

Once I pickup the bike I will post a new thread, maybe titled ‘first thoughts owning an R18FE’ :)
Ride safe all and many thanks for insights and sharing your experiences with me and others.

I like the boxer character and feel.
The R18 is a wonderful cruiser. I think it functions better as a cruiser than a touring bike. I once owned a beautiful R18 Transcontinental but it wasn't cut out for 80 mph interstate highway speeds. The R18 base cruiser that I have now is just perfect.
Some of the complaints come from irrational riders who routinely strangle the bike by shifting from 1st to 2nd gear at 4,000 to 5,000 rpm. This is ridiculous riding. Ride the bike with respect for crying out loud. The R18 is a very happy motor. Just realize it is a slower turning engine than the sport bikes.

I like the boxer character and feel.
The R18 is a wonderful cruiser. I think it functions better as a cruiser than a touring bike. I once owned a beautiful R18 Transcontinental but it wasn't cut out for 80 mph interstate highway speeds. The R18 base cruiser that I have now is just perfect.
Some of the complaints come from irrational riders who routinely strangle the bike by shifting from 1st to 2nd gear at 4,000 to 5,000 rpm. This is ridiculous riding. Ride the bike with respect for crying out loud. The R18 is a very happy motor. Just realize it is a slower turning engine than the sport bikes.
Funny that you mention that because I have seen countless videos of people taking a demo bike for a YouTube review and their first and second gears changes are soooooo long it makes my blood boil. There was a guy cruising around town in first gear at 30 miles per hours for about 2 minutes of the video going on and on about the same topic. You could hear the engine screaming for the second gear.
You should not lug the engine but equally you should not abuse the first of second gear in that way.

Funny that you mention that because I have seen countless videos of people taking a demo bike for a YouTube review and their first and second gears changes are soooooo long it makes my blood boil. There was a guy cruising around town in first gear at 30 miles per hours for about 2 minutes of the video going on and on about the same topic. You could hear the engine screaming for the second gear.
You should not lug the engine but equally you should not abuse the first of second gear in that way.
“You could hear the engine screaming for second gear”. Great way to say that and so true!

Back