R18 vs R18 Classic

Well yes and though not to agree to disagree I figure when one signs finance bmw papers legally that is a bending contract. I am not a lawyer though that would seem to be the case. I believe dealers can check inventory, within the region maybe that bmw has, though won’t think a dealer could get one from say a West coast distribution location and have it sent over to IL. I can chat with dealer today though think I am locked into the present deal.

I could be wrong but I’m thinking cruise control, heal toe shifter and floorboards on a R18FE are kinda like a unicorn if they exist which they seem to do in very very limited quantities they’re probably impossible to fine at this point since all solid out but I will check with the dealer.

The sales person has been great btw so do want to say I have been happy with that process. They did check what they had not yet sold…unboxed and none had cruise control. I did not ask though inferred…maybe wrong…if they could have pulled one fron a warehouse they would have. My local dealer had no access to any R18FE bikes at this point in time.

Last edited:
Well yes and though not to agree to disagree I figure when one signs finance bmw papers legally that is a bending contract. I am not a lawyer though that would seem to be the case. I believe dealers can check inventory, within the region maybe that bmw has, though won’t think a dealer could get one from say a West coast distribution location and have it sent over to IL. I can chat with dealer today though think I am locked into the present deal.

I could be wrong but I’m thinking cruise control, heal toe shifter and floorboards on a R18FE are kinda like a unicorn if they exist which they seem to do in very very limited quantities they’re probably impossible to fine at this point since all solid out but I will check with the dealer.

The sales person has been great btw so do want to say I have been happy with that process. They did check what they had not yet sold…unboxed and none had cruise control. I did not ask though inferred…maybe wrong…if they could have pulled one fron a warehouse they would have. My local dealer had no access to any R18FE bikes at this point in time.
I sold vehicles before. The deal isn't binding until you actually take delivery of the vehicle. In fact, and I may be mistaken, but I also believe there may be a 24hr period after delivery to cancel. But definetly until you take delivery the deal is not binding. Get the bike you want. This is my first bike with cruise control. It's to me now, completely nessecery. Fantastic option...

For me the Classic choice was obvious. More bike for the money. Wasn't much of a bagger guy myself, but after having them now with cruise...no brainer...Over night trips with the old lady is excellent! They're big enough to carry essentials, plus a fresh set of clothes... Cruise is killer....On divided hwys I set it at like 80-100mph...and she cruises accurately with authority...and the extended pipes makes it sound like an airplane...love it.

Bull*hit dude. The deal isn't *done* until you take delivery. Tell the dealer you want a bike with cruise or it's not happening. Are you buying this from Barrington Cycle Werks?
Dude, I owe you several BEERS. I don't know how it was missed when I was first working with the Sales guy but today when I called Adam said they had ONE left of the 2021 R18FE with cruise control. Seems they had not yet 'punched' the other bike I was to buy as Sold yet so they can get me this one. They are just trying to workout if they can switch out the seat for me like they were going to on the other bike.

Man, honestly think you so much Adrian. Every time I set the cruise control I will think of you...well at least the first time guy :)
Cruise is not required though will be very happy to have it even though it will cost another $1,000 on my end. I thought that was like a $395 option or maybe $600 or so. If it was $600 then I will live paying the extra $400 since this is a .9% rate deal.

Last edited:
Dude, I own you several BEERS. I don't know how it was missed when I was first working with the Sales guy but today when I called Adam said they had ONE left of the 2021 R18FE with cruise control. Seems they had not yet 'punched' the other bike I was to buy as Sold yet so they can get me this one. They are just trying to workout if they can switch out the seat for me like they were going to on the other bike.

Man, honestly think you so much Adrian. Every time I set the cruise control I will think of you...well at least the first time guy :)
Cruise is not required though will be very happy to have it even though it will cost another $1,000 on my end. I thought that was like a $395 option or maybe $600 or so. If it was $600 then I will live paying the extra $400 since this is a .9% rate deal.
Adam is a great guy. He sold me my Classic last January. He did quite a few things to get me the bike I wanted. Very good salesman!

I have the cloth waterproof BMW messenger bags, as well as a 1950s style luggage rack from wunderlich. We can talk about windshield vs. no windshield. At speeds under 80, I don't miss a windshield for any ride. earplugs and a good, and I mean good helmet with a chin dam will make you forget windshields... also windshields can act like sails in high crosswinds. In short, they are not what they're all cracked up to be. I use a windshield on my GS; but I regularly ride at higher speeds on it.

Now the stock seat has to go. There is no such thing as a comfortable stock seat and I put on the weekender. Its a bit bulky but it is a necessity for a 1000 mile ride.

I admit I am a more than one bike person so I have the luxury of not having to serve two masters with one bike. But I have now done a 1000 mile day on the R18. It took a few more hours but hey, I got there on a way cooler bike.
Even though I have a Classic, I took the windshield off after the winter months. It’s awesome for 20F days to keep the cold blast off of you, but in the heat of summer, I want the blast & I prefer the look without the screen. My bags aren’t on the bike unless I’m on an overnight trip, so I essentially mostly use mine as a Pure, albeit with more traditional exhausts and driving lights.

My GSA also has a screen, but I put it in the lowest position in the summer…. Wish there was an easy way to have a smaller screen for summer & swap to bigger in winter.

Darn, so the dealer discount is less on the one with the Cruise Control (must be a bmw thing even though it is a R18FE and not a Classic). Plus they cannot work the same deal on the Weekender seat upgrade on the bike with Cruise. My net cost to get Cruise on the bike will be an additional $1,731; if removing the cost of just Cruise that drops the extra I need to pay down to $1,381. I might be willing to pay an additional $1,000 for the bike with cruise but probably not $1,381 more for it.

Just seems like a lot extra to pay just to add that $350 item (cruise). Well that plus another $272 for the Weekender seat on the with Cruise above the $200 which I was going to pay to add it to the base R18FE without cruise.

I sent a counter offer for $1k more will see what shakes out. That plus will get Classic pricing to see yet how much more that would run over the R18FE with cruise.

Last edited:
Darn, so the dealer discount is only $4,313 for bike with cruise, versus $5,422 for R18 without cruise. Plus they don't have as much wiggle room (tech term) so will have to add $472 for a Weekender seat vs a $200 upgrade to move it to on the R18 with curise.

So, cruise control will cost me another $1,381 more than the one I was getting without Cruise control; both with the Weekender seat.

Not 100% certain it is worth another $1.3k just to for cruise control even though it is enjoyable to use when wanted. I will circle back and compare pricing for a new Classic though figure yet more $ due to fewer discounts on that model.
You may not care one way or the other, but the other big difference (to me) is the exhaust. I totally get that some love it, but for me, it was worth the extra expense for the Classic exhaust.

And then there is the lights, and the cruise control...and of course the bags and the screen (though I regularly ride without the last two.)

Yes, that straight exhaust is a factor to consider so good point. Plus would make it an easier rider if picked up and ridden 4 hours one day plus 10 the next.
Thank you

Darn, so the dealer discount is less on the one with the Cruise Control (must be a bmw thing even though it is a R18FE and not a Classic). Plus they cannot work the same deal on the Weekender seat upgrade on the bike with Cruise. My net cost to get Cruise on the bike will be an additional $1,731; if removing the cost of just Cruise that drops the extra I need to pay down to $1,381. I might be willing to pay an additional $1,000 for the bike with cruise but probably not $1,381 more for it.

Just seems like a lot extra to pay just to add that $350 item (cruise). Well that plus another $272 for the Weekender seat on the with Cruise above the $200 which I was going to pay to add it to the base R18FE without cruise.

I sent a counter offer for $1k more will see what shakes out. That plus will get Classic pricing to see yet how much more that would run over the R18FE with cruise.
Just get the classic! It sure seems like that is the bike you really want! Buy once, cry once!

Yes, that straight exhaust is a factor to consider so good point. Plus would make it an easier rider if picked up and ridden 4 hours one day plus 10 the next.
Thank you
Just get the classic... You're gonna want to Brentune the bike, and then get the DNA stage two air filter mod. Between the two the bike runs MUCH stronger and sounds awesome... Besides for me, those fishtail exhaust was a deal breaker.... The Classic's exhaust is slightly louder...

Thank you
I live about a hour from that dealer. Adam arranged to have my new R18 delivered and picked up my trade...no additional cost!

Good points, thanks

Cost with Weekender seat after all rebates and bmw 6 pays, excluding taxes:
R18FE no cruise - $10,492
R18FE with cruise - $11,697
Classic (with pegs) - $13,297
Classic (floor boards) - $14,267

So...it cost
$1,200 extra to get cruise on a R18FE (I get to keep the original stock R18FE seat also)
$2,797 to go from R18FE(no cruise) to Classic with foot pegs
$3,767 to go from R18FE (no cruise) to Classic with floor boards

Comparing models with Cruise control
$1,600 to go from R18FE with cruise to Classic with foot pegs
$2,570 to go from R18FE with cruise to Classic Floor boards

The only extra I would really like is the Cruise added to the base R18FE though that the seat upgrade is a $472 vs $200 (net $272 more...not a biggie really I guess) going from R18FE no cruise to R18FFE with cruise.
Thus $1,000 more/less to get cruise on a base R18FE plus $272 more for the seat on R18FE with cruise.

Once one accepts that extra $1k cost then need to feel it is worth another $1,600 to move from R18FE with cruise to the Classic with foot pegs else more yet...$2,570 to get Classic with Floor boards

I do like the Classic looks, with out without bags due to those spot lights (maybe they shake a bit on that bmw light bar I thought I heard). Then again adding Clearwater spot lights to enginue guard could work the the R18FE.

I do like the straight exhaust though if doing the R18FE could live with the balloon ones since that is a signature look on that model and loud sound does not matter to me. Plus, the R18FE could have a Cafe S screen added and look kick ass I feel, add a rear rack and toss over bags if needed for a ride and call it a day

I know the floor boards would cost just too much used to add to a R18FE and no option to add Cruise after the fact on the R18FE I would get without cruise due to manufacturer date being too early.

So...maybe it is the base R18FE, R18FE with Cruise (10,492 vs 11.697) else Classic with foot pegs. Else just say what the hell and blow another $3,767 (RF no cruise) to get the Classic with floor boards (my guess it they give you more room to move your feet around a bit).

Last edited:
I live about a hour from that dealer. Adam arranged to have my new R18 delivered and picked up my trade...no additional cost!
Yes, he offered to pick me up from the airport or bus terminal any day he is not on vacation :)
I will be taking a bus up from Indiana else flying in from Atlanta to O'Hare

Buy the FE without the cruise control. You're not going to use the windshield, or the cruise, or the saddlebags as much as maybe you're thinking. In my opinion, the next level of the R18 FE isn't the Classic, is the Bagger, because with the aftermarket options, now a days you have a lot of options for a Windshield, saddlebags, etc. Again, buy the R18 FE and a comfortable seat

That's quite the price difference for cruise. That said, the R18 cruise is handy and easy to use. Of all the cruiser style bikes I have ridden (Indian, Harley, Triumph) I like the BMW controls the best.

Good luck with your decision!

That's quite the price difference for cruise. That said, the R18 cruise is handy and easy to use. Of all the cruiser style bikes I have ridden (Indian, Harley, Triumph) I like the BMW controls the best.

Good luck with your decision!
Yes, have always liked them. In the old days the left was for the left turn signal and the right side for the right one :) at least on K bikes as I recall.

Indeed, $1,200 is a big of a reach. Though would get the 'bad' base seat, in addition to the weekender seat. Stock seat maybe good for short local rides plus put a air hawk on it or bead mess and might be better with a slimmer look (well if not bead pad or air hawk pad).

Presently, for the next year maybe, have two homes so the bike would probably stay two hours north in the house with a two-car garage. I spend more time in my one-car garage home presently. It is still bloody hot in Florida. The R18 will only be a weekend or now and then ride (unless I just fall in love with it). Even though now retired I am riding a LOT less than I did in my younger days (65 this month).

Never say never, maybe in a year or so could move up to NC area. At least somewhere a drop cooler than Florida, a no State Income tax State would be my preference (that is one nice thing about Florida). Though would probably keep my Crystal river area home to stay during the winter some months come next year if I sell the Largo home.

Though more likely then not sell both homes in Florida and just move to one place up further north I figure is best game plan.

Possibly the R18 would then call some mountain roads home, well at least ones an hour or two away. Brother in Brasstown NC and travel trailer in Helen GA (21' that resides in RV park) so those might factor into my relocation area to move somewhat. Sister in Fort Wayne and others out west in CA mostly though one niece in TN now.

Last edited:
Buy the FE without the cruise control. You're not going to use the windshield, or the cruise, or the saddlebags as much as maybe you're thinking. In my opinion, the next level of the R18 FE isn't the Classic, is the Bagger, because with the aftermarket options, now a days you have a lot of options for a Windshield, saddlebags, etc. Again, buy the R18 FE and a comfortable seat
Yes, for the amount of riding I would be doing I concur. My only outlier thought might be to spend the $ to get the R18FE with Cruise.
1) it comes with that stock (good for 1 or 2 hours maybe...seat that I get in the deal with the Weekender seat). Though that is not so important.
2) More important maybe...I wonder if the later wiring harness (that added cruise) could be of benefit down the road support wise with BMW when taken to a shop. Don't know if the wiring is all that different but maybe more like the Classic trims somewhat. Possible that is not even a thing to take into consideration maybe.

Back