Temperature Gauge?

Its not there. I looked. It IS on the motoscan. Charge air temp (IAT), Coolant temp, and oil temp. They are different. Go figure.
SO I could drive down the road looking at my laptop and see how warm it is.

David

According to a BMW tech here in Germany, BMW decided to not show the engine temperature in the display - I have to assume that this is because most people do not know what the correct temp range of an air-cooled engine is and would freak out when they see the values compared to a water-cooled engine. I don't know if there is an air-cooled cruiser on the market that offers a stock temprature gauge? My Harley Deluxe 2018 did also only warn you when it became too hot (never happened to me) - no temp gauge there either. I am ok with not having a temperature or fuel gauge.
My 2018 R nine T has a temp gauge reading (oil cooled). Yes, I freaked out when I saw 250F+. But then after studying it a little bit, all is good. IMHO, I would like to be able to see the temp to see the trend and not wait for the warning light. I'm also fine without the fuel gauge. It's nice to have if I forget to reset the odometer, but the reserve light is still there. Under normal circumstances, a gas station is not too far away.

I got one tank full of 90 octane, no ethanol. 46 to 47 the test kid the time.
I was going 62 mph and 2200 RPM with the cruise on most of the time.

Well, I've now read all the posts and there are many opinions. Could year and model be so different? I have the 2022 TC and while stuck in traffic on a warm day recently, first came the yellow screen engine is hot warning... no place to pull off easily or safely... I rode on at 10mph in 85degree air temp. Then the ominous red warning appeared on TFT advising to shut down immediately. I rode for another minute or so until I found a place to pull off freeway.

I asked service guy at dealer and he says the sensors in the bike (which can be read when the reader is plugged in) will alert to how long the bike was running in this overheated condition. I asked him if it was likely that the motor was damaged, and he said likely not but won't be evident until many miles down the road. For a bike I intend to ride many miles, answer was less than reassuring. Service guy also advised that warranty is likely toast too!

There is more information in this old thread.

https://www.r18forums.com/threads/oil-temp-gauge.2014/#post-30739

Unfortunately, all indications seem to be that there is no temp gauge of any kind on an R18 - in spite of what the official documentation says.

I certainly never go to the bottom of it - and the dealer drew a blank asking "the mothership".

It seems what may have started out as a good idea, ended up getting "canned" - probably accountants got involved

Well, I've now read all the posts and there are many opinions. Could year and model be so different? I have the 2022 TC and while stuck in traffic on a warm day recently, first came the yellow screen engine is hot warning... no place to pull off easily or safely... I rode on at 10mph in 85degree air temp. Then the ominous red warning appeared on TFT advising to shut down immediately. I rode for another minute or so until I found a place to pull off freeway.
I asked service guy at dealer and he says the sensors in the bike (which can be read when the reader is plugged in) will alert to how long the bike was running in this overheated condition. I asked him if it was likely that the motor was damaged, and he said likely not but won't be evident until many miles down the road. For a bike I intend to ride many miles, answer was less than reassuring. Service guy also advised that warranty is likely toast too!
Thanks for posting, made me go back and re-read my manual. Good info, though not too reassuring 🙂. Understandably, any possible damage from such an event may take quite a long time to make itself known... or may never be known witbout a tear-down.

This oil coolant screen talk got me thinking, and I've just confirmed: my R18 doesn't have engine temperature as a menu item. I've scrolled through everything several times, with the engine running and not. I've gone into all the menus and sub menus. I've reset everything. It's simply not there.

Further, the submenu for changing units doesn't have a Celsius or Fahrenheit option (as page 43 in the manual indicates).

I'm thinking that there's a software update? Any ideas? Internet search wasn't helpful and it looks like this hasn't been discussed here.

Do y'all have engine temp in your menus? Everything else is there, all that useless stuff like the dang date and average speed. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. View attachment 599
I haven't got one either if you find it or relevant information let me no please

Thanks for posting, made me go back and re-read my manual. Good info, though not too reassuring 🙂. Understandably, any possible damage from such an event may take quite a long time to make itself known... or may never be known witbout a tear-down.
I'm just into bmws was a honda man don't no much about them yet but I no the air oil cooled porche 911 very well running to hot causes bore score in them

I would be very curious to see exactly "how" the warranty would be toast on a passively-cooled bike. It's not your fault that BMW failed to install an active cooler (e.g. fan) into the R18 models.

Quite the chutzpah of the service guy to make that comment when the defect lies with the original product, not how the customer uses it!

Edit: I would change the oil and filter after that overheating incident however.

Mike

The guy at MAX told me no warranty until I pay them to do a run in service. Making the money motion with his fingers. I did it my self. He claimed he could hear an exhaust valve loose. I just drove away.

David

Back