Valve adjustment

Well, you know more than I :)
My old 05 r1200rt has 4 of them though I had yet to do the adjustment myself, just took it to the dealer. My old 71 /5 I did the adjustments myself...the good old days.

I don't even know if the R18 engine has screw-type adjusters like my 05 or 1971 bike. Maybe they are bucket & shims? Ok, google just said they are screw and locknut. I think, YES, it is possible for the valve clearance to be too tight.

And besides, I think I saw a post saying the R18 engine specs/adjustments are a NASA secret never to be relieved to the buying public...and if so cannot see how that is legal for BMW not to provide such information for any service internal items we could do ourselves instead of taking to the dealer to have done.

[/URL]
I was looking and found this on the web.
BMW says the advantage of this “twin camshaft boxer” is shorter pushrods which reduces moving masses, minimises deflections and lowers linear expansions for a stiffer valve drive with improved control precision and higher speed stability.

In the traditional BMW Motorrad boxer design, the two pushrods actuate one pushrod per cylinder side for the intake and one for the exhaust side, guided in a sealed pushrod tube on the top of the cylinders. The two intake and exhaust valves in the cylinder head are actuated in pairs via fork toggle levers.

In contrast to today’s widespread engine technology, valve clearance compensation is not effected by means of hydraulic elements, but – as was the case in most classic air-cooled BMW two-valve boxers for decades – via one adjusting screw with one lock nut for each valve.

As was formerly the case in the classic two-valve boxers, valve clearance adjustment (0.2 – 0.3 mm) in the R18 Big Boxer is also quick and easy. The valves are made of steel, with a disc diameter of 41.2mm on the inlet side and 35mm on the outlet side. The valve angle is 21 degrees on the inlet side and 24 degrees on the outlet side.

Hmmm ... I am close to a service ... and as with all my bikes I do it myself .. thanks for the pics with the open cover haven't had the need to open mine yet ... soon ... but what is that hole in the 3rd picture .. something at the cylinder base ... some sort of timing mark?
Thanks for the pics, I thinking on checking my shortly. The pic shows TDC, my question is are their two TDC one fore each cylinder?

Thx
Barry

I just had it done at 6K miles. My local BMW dealer did the job, and only charged a little over an hour of labor. It needed it. They were off by 2Ks. Bike was running good though when I brought it in. The valves are just now slightly quieter...and it's got a bit more spring in it's step (pardon intended)..lol

I'm looking to perform the Valve Verification & Adjustment Service; however, only finding bits and pieces of information all over the forum (step by step instructions, torque values, required tools, etc..).

Has anyone documented this procedure in one place?

Boy do I regreT going to a dealer for this. I just could not do the work myself solo. I don’t have a lift, a BMW lift mount part for the R18 and I’m still recovering from rotator cuff surgery so moving the TC around to find TDC and then do the valve check was out.

$570 to have BMW of Charlotte NC do the work. I almost left when they printed Out the work authorization. I did everything else in the 6K myself self. Turns out it‘s $340 JUST for the valve gaskets. They were charging $370 but still….

I’ve ridden and done valve checks on Boxers for 75,000 miles and have never replaced a valve gasket without any issues down the road. I know this is the service requirement for dealers but BMW charging $340-370 for 4 ounces of rubber is bullshit. The service tech agreed but that’s the price.

I feel like an ass for going to a dealer and should have just delayed and DIYed when I was feeling better. OF COURSE the valves were in spec. They’re always in spec on modern bikes.

let’s extrapolate a little bit. If you get an R18 base for around $11K out the door and put 100,000 miles on it over 12 years which isn’t unreasonable. You would have spent $5700 on rubber valve gaskets if you’re doing checks by the book every 6,000 miles. Rouglay half of what you paid for the R18 would go to rubber gaskets.

That’s bullshit And I think every single person should be pissed off about it.

I don’t mind paying for a trained technicians time but BMW’s gasket pricing is in a realm of robbery. I buy a LOT of BMW parts, the seat was $600 For the heated comfort seat. The winglets were $400, etc etc but these are freaking gaskets. A valve cover gasket for literally ANY automotive specification is around $20-$50.

Crap like this has me wanting to riot.

——

so my advice to everyone, do your own valve checks, don’t buy the gasket. You’ll be fine. I’ve never replaced mine on any of my bikes with no issues. If it finally starts leaking, buy one and replace that one and go on with your day.

Boy do I regreT going to a dealer for this. I just could not do the work myself solo. I don’t have a lift, a BMW lift mount part for the R18 and I’m still recovering from rotator cuff surgery so moving the TC around to find TDC and then do the valve check was out.

$570 to have BMW of Charlotte NC do the work. I almost left when they printed Out the work authorization. I did everything else in the 6K myself self. Turns out it‘s $340 JUST for the valve gaskets. They were charging $370 but still….

I’ve ridden and done valve checks on Boxers for 75,000 miles and have never replaced a valve gasket without any issues down the road. I know this is the service requirement for dealers but BMW charging $340-370 for 4 ounces of rubber is bullshit. The service tech agreed but that’s the price.

I feel like an ass for going to a dealer and should have just delayed and DIYed when I was feeling better. OF COURSE the valves were in spec. They’re always in spec on modern bikes.

let’s extrapolate a little bit. If you get an R18 base for around $11K out the door and put 100,000 miles on it over 12 years which isn’t unreasonable. You would have spent $5700 on rubber valve gaskets if you’re doing checks by the book every 6,000 miles. Rouglay half of what you paid for the R18 would go to rubber gaskets.

I don’t mind paying for a trained technicians time but BMW’s gasket pricing is in a realm of robbery. I buy a LOT of BMW parts, the seat was $600 For the heated comfort seat. The winglets were $400, etc etc but these are freaking gaskets. A valve cover gasket for literally ANY automotive specification is around $20-$50.

——

so my advice to everyone, do your own valve checks, don’t buy the gasket. You’ll be fine. I’ve never replaced mine on any of my bikes with no issues. If it finally starts leaking, buy one and replace that one and go on with your day.
100% agree!

——

Ouch. I don’t understand how the American dealers get away with their pricing? its Like think of a number and treble it? I paid a very reasonable £154 for 1st service in England and was told a ball park figure for an annual service (including brake & clutch fluids change) would be about £270 which I think is reasonable. (Just for comparison I paid £330 for my 9 year old car annual service and MOT at a local independent garage).

Everything else you pay for seems to be very cheap though, petrol, cars, bikes, food. Maybe this is how they get their money back? I don’t know. When time comes for valve check I will ask that they reuse the gaskets. That’s a salty bill and I understand why you are so miffed about it.

Ouch. I don’t understand how the American dealers get away with their pricing? its Like think of a number and treble it? I paid a very reasonable £154 for 1st service in England and was told a ball park figure for an annual service (including brake & clutch fluids change) would be about £270 which I think is reasonable. (Just for comparison I paid £330 for my 9 year old car annual service and MOT at a local independent garage).

Everything else you pay for seems to be very cheap though, petrol, cars, bikes, food. Maybe this is how they get their money back? I don’t know. When time comes for valve check I will ask that they reuse the gaskets. That’s a salty bill and I understand why you are so miffed about it.
Similar here. When I bought the bike I enquired about running costs for servicing etc and the dealer said £230.00 -£270.00 tops or the 3 year service pack at £700.00 or 5 years at £1070.00 which I ended up going for to protect myself a bit against future inflation.
The service pack includes everything, even labour.

——

I was quoted approximately $390 for the Valve Verification and Adjustment; the service manager said the gasket would NOT need to be replaced. I'm guessing some less than honest service shops are charging customers for the new replacement gaskets; however, not actually replacing them...

I had my service shop replace my Brake fluid and such, which was approximately $200.

Back