What did you do to your R18 today?

Great question on the valve check. I’ve consulted the interweb but have failed to find any tutorials or guides on valve adjustment for the R18, which is somewhat surprising. Anyone here attempted that feat that is willing to share their experience. Thanks!
Yeah,I had the dealer do mine at 6,000 miles.Hoping to find a video or I guess the dealer will do it.I think the valve clearance is one of the more important things to do.

Did the valves at 6,000 miles and will do them when the plugs are installed since the head covers will be off then.Probably next week.
Perfect. I would be very grateful (and happily contribute a case of your favorite beer) if you would please take a few photos of the process for we that are less experienced but eager to learn!

Perfect. I would be very grateful (and happily contribute a case of your favorite beer) if you would please take a few photos of the process for we that are less experienced but eager to learn!
I am a coffee man but I like to do this for free & fun.
With the dealer checking the valves I feel I may just to have them do the adjustment.Recorded...

I'm gonna have a hell of a time with the sidecar on the right side changing spark plugs and doing the valve adjustment.Oh boy:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Spasiba bolshoi! I knew all those business trips to Moscow and Almaty would pay off!
I have a close friend that I met in Vietnam.He and his wife had to go back to Russia(they are from Ukraine) because of Covid.Plus my step father(rest his soul)is of Ukraine decent.
Good people.

I have a close friend that I met in Vietnam.He and his wife had to go back to Russia(they are from Ukraine) because of Covid.Plus my step father(rest his soul)is of Ukraine decent.
Good people.
My stepfather bought me my 1st motorbike in 1962 and signed for my 1st new motorcycle in 1967.He loved BMW & Norton motorcycles.Great Father & great guy.

These must be the nuttiest crash bars ever. Simply TOO low.

I appreciate that they are intended to protect our $1600-a-piece fishtails, but when (not if) you touch them down in a corner, you will have every chance to lose traction at the back, potentially resulting in a spectacular Crash Bar Test.

Last edited:
These must be the nuttiest crash bars ever. Simply TOO low.

I appreciate that they are intended to protect our $1600-a-piece fishtails, but when (not if) you touch them down in a corner, you will have every chance to lose traction at the back, potentially resulting in a spectacular Crash Bar Test.
Not for me, not on my bike.

I have been working in and around Uralsk and Atyrau for the last eighteen years - mostly 28/28. 28 days on, 28 days off. The good stuff - Oil & Gas.
Agreed! Also career oil and gas for the past thirty years…we’re finally getting our day in the sun after being lost in the wilderness for the past ten years. Enjoy it while it lasts!

View attachment 4177View attachment 4178
As some of you know,I have arthritis and the locking cap was a bitch for me to grip.So,I added the new push button cap.
I got this small tank bag and center strip to cover the area where I dropped the locking cap and left a small dent.Pictures with & without the bag.It is better than buying a new tank.
It is pretty nice for the price I got it for.10% military, free shipping & no tax.Again,It is installed more to cover up the dent that was looking at me.;)
Update on the fuel cap.For anyone that has or thinking of getting one.
The Copper rivet needed to be swaged.I took 2 hammers,1 to hit the right side and the other to use as a bucking bar.
Reason:
The cap would not stay open when fueling so the rivet needed to be tighter.The cap is very nice and care is to be taken when installing as it is a 2 piece deal.Unscrew the cap from the filler neck(careful, sharp metal).Screw the neck piece in 1st.Then the threaded cap.The 3 small screws inside the cap take very little torque.Find the best fitting allen wrench.Re-torque after a few miles.Don't over tq.gingerly.
I like it because I stop often 25-30mpg w/sidecar and arthritic hands.
Again,just posting to help if folks are interested.If not,its cool:cool:

Back