What did you do to your R18 today?

Installed AMT Custom bagsView attachment 4324
The bottom of those bags seems very close to the outlets of the exhausts. Hot exhaust fumes might tend to follow the base curvature of the bags and heat them substantially on long rides, even damaging them. It is called the Coandă effect and assists aeroplane wings in creating lift. It is also why the exhausts on the R18 Classic are routed lower and well past its bags. The same applies to Harleys and Indians fitted with hard bags, where the exhausts exit behind the bags.

The bottom of those bags seems very close to the outlets of the exhausts. Hot exhaust fumes might tend to follow the base curvature of the bags and heat them substantially on long rides, even damaging them. It is called the Coandă effect and assists aeroplane wings in creating lift. It is also why the exhausts on the R18 Classic are routed lower and well past its bags. The same applies to Harleys and Indians fitted with hard bags, where the exhausts exit behind the bags.

Thanks for the post. I will make sure to check them on some short rides and then take longer rides. Hadn't considered how far back they are mounted. Unfortunately, too cold right now to test it.

Thanks for the post. I will make sure to check them on some short rides and then take longer rides. Hadn't considered how far back they are mounted. Unfortunately, too cold right now to test it.

Corbin shows their Fleetliner bags mounted similarly

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220206-215331_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220206-215331_Chrome.jpg
    905.2 KB · Views: 24
Or you can get some heat reflective material if you have an issue with bags getting too hot. I had a problem with one of the cases on my GS getting overly hot on long trips from the exhaust, I put on a layer of self adhesive heat reflective fabric and it did a great job, and it's held up for 6 years so far.

Or you can get some heat reflective material if you have an issue with bags getting too hot. I had a problem with one of the cases on my GS getting overly hot on long trips from the exhaust, I put on a layer of self adhesive heat reflective fabric and it did a great job, and it's held up for 6 years so far.
Agreed. Heat-reflective material works very well. I use Thermo-Tec on the bottoms of all my hard saddlebags and the undersides of V-twin fuel tanks. Also, on the inside of my 1190's exhaust-side pannier (photo below). But that is to dissipate heat from nearby exhausts, not for hot exhaust fumes blowing on it or diverted onto it. And I doubt Thermo-tec will last long on fabric saddlebags.

20200418_072508700_iOS.jpg

No cat
No flapper
Very preliminary.
Very impatient
No tune. I suspect computer not yet even recognizing the changes
Nothing bolted together.
Everything scattered
Garage a mess
Need to know!

Very happy.

More to come
I would have 'liked' it more than once if I was allowed to. Probably at least four times (-:

I would have 'liked' it more than once if I was allowed to. Probably at least four times (-:
I need to add, though, that I regret removing the cat on my Chief Vintage - it cost me in low-rpm torque, and I have had to compensate by fitting more restrictive slip-ons since doing that. The 111/116 CI Indians feature a 2-into-1-into-2 header/exhaust, and the single cat is situated in a suitably enlarged section of the header. I removed it the same way - cut open a flap, dug out the cat, re-welded and powder-coated the header.

Lloyd Greer, of Lloydz fame, warns not to remove cats on Victory motorcycles either. It seems that Polaris profiles their stock cams, and Stage 2 cams for that matter, to consider the back-pressure associated with the cat(s). Let's hope that BMW did not toe the same line with the R18. No tune can fix that knock in torque - only aftermarket cams will. Inmates with aftermarket R18 slip-ons will know whether that applies since none of them, except those by V&H, will feature cats. And I have not seen any power & torque curves offered with any of the very pricey European R18 slip-ons.

The same does not apply to later Harleys, some Ducatis, etc., where the Cats are located in the stock slip-ons.

Last edited:
I need to add, though, that I regret removing the cat on my Chief Vintage - it cost me in low-rpm torque, and I have had to compensate by fitting more restrictive slip-ons since doing that. The 111/116 CI Indians feature a 2-into-1-into-2 header/exhaust, and the single cat is situated in a suitably enlarged section of the header. I removed it the same way - cut open a flap, dug out the cat, re-welded and powder-coated the header.

Lloyd Greer, of Lloydz fame, warns not to remove cats on Victory motorcycles either. It seems that Polaris profiles their stock cams, and Stage 2 cams for that matter, to consider the back-pressure associated with the cat(s). Let's hope that BMW did not toe the same line. No tune can fix that knock in torque - only aftermarket cams will.

The same does not apply to later Harleys, some Ducatis, etc., where the Cats are located in the stock slip-ons.
Just to add

The newer catalytic converters are very High Flow.So I won't be getting rid of the R18c cat,cutting or punching out the baffles.
I may do the Servo Buddy and leave the flapper in & open.
Hey Gr8adv.Let us know when you get the BT Tuner flash done.Your bike is really gonna sound bitchen.It should be deeper and much fuller.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not an exhaust thread but take a moment and read this if you still believe back pressure is a good thing. https://cruisingape.com/straight-pipe-bad-for-motorcycle

Generally the reason people lose power with an open exhaust is due to lack of fueling adjustment and and/or poor scavenging. Between the BMW wide-band self tuning and the BT performance based mapping I do not believe this will be an issue. But what do I really know?

A dyno before and after would have been fun. Given I have an 18 inch rear my dyno results won't compare to dyno runs on a 16. Although dynos are all different, if someone does a run with an 18" rear I will invest in a run to compare. All for the good of the group.

In the end, I'm just going to ride.

Looks like we have a bit of a loll in the activity.I think folks are patiently waiting on their Tuners:) so,here is what I did to my R18C:

I put in 2 fresh tanks of premium gasoline and rode in 79 degree temps here in Sunny Arizona.

Looks like we have a bit of a loll in the activity.I think folks are patiently waiting on their Tuners:) so,here is what I did to my R18C:

I put in 2 fresh tanks of premium gasoline and rode in 79 degree temps here in Sunny Arizona.
Not much better here as I wait for some electric goodies. 3D3E24F9-1522-4E07-A753-752B8C8E5A59.jpeg

new plugs, manual says to replace at 12,000 so I need to Getr dunnIMG_0136.JPGIMG_0134.JPG

$20 each? Btw, I assume you have had or done the valve check? Did u do it yourself?
$85.40 for 4 plugs thru Sierra BMW
Free shipping No Tax and this includes a 10% Military Discount
Yeah,pricey and NGK makes em.Only available at BMW dealers for now.NGK should have em in the USA someday.

Back