What did you do to your R18 today?

Wunderlich Case Protection Bar install went super smooth (1.5 hrs.); with the help from my son. Perfect father - son stuff, I didn't have to totally remove the side cases electrically, nor the seat wiring as well - where my son was able to hold the case in place; plus the father-son stuff keeps my wife from giving me the stink eye when boxes arrive in the mail.

DIY folks - invest in a torque wrench and lots of locktite (blue); BMW uses that stuff on EVERYTHING... Like Frank's Red Hot sauce..

Attachments

• IMG_20220817_185037204_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220817_185037204_HDR.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220817_185110994_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220817_185110994_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 38
Wunderlich Case Protection Bar install went super smooth (1.5 hrs.); with the help from my son. Perfect father - son stuff, I didn't have to totally remove the side cases electrically, nor the seat wiring as well - where my son was able to hold the case in place; plus the father-son stuff keeps my wife from giving me the stink eye when boxes arrive in the mail.

DIY folks - invest in a torque wrench and lots of locktite (blue); BMW uses that stuff on EVERYTHING... Like Frank's Red Hot sauce..
Have to say, they look really smart 👍🏻

Have to say, they look really smart 👍🏻
Wunderlich did a great job with this product; shipped box was packed extremely well and the installation documentation was very easy to follow; which had all of the torque values clearly displayed. Also, the mounting holes and anchor points fit perfectly to the R 18 frame; I'm extremely impressed with the Wunderlich folks - I can't believe this was the first of hearing about them, being a long time previous BMW GS Adventure owner for years... I always leaned towards Touratech in the past.

I finally received one as well. I cannot locate any installation instructions on the BMW site. Did you find the instructions anywhere?
No but I can talk you down.

Unscrew the bolt at the back and pull out the Speedo to reveal the electrical.

Unplug the power and pull the unit out completely.

Undo the two bolts holding the unit on the bike and lift it off.

Removing the chrome ring was weird. I used a small screwdriver to rotate it beyond the stops. Not all the way apparently as it broke a bit of plastic while pulling it off. Not enough to cause damage.

Put it all back together the same way, except the new one has three bolts to hold the rim instead of one at the back.

Quick and easy.

A thread about little mods and tweaks. When good enough isn't quite good enough...

3M protective tape between rubber pillion seat feet and rear fender.
View attachment 223

I put a little talc on the rubber feet to sort out exactly where they landed. The result is not super pretty but it's effective.

Nate

***Those are not scratches but merely reflections. Kinda did a double-take there.
Hum, soft of wondering if some film (3m?) should be put on top of tank. Picked up a used bmw cell phone holder from member on the forum and before I pick up the new bike would like to put some on it then put on the cell holder.

Back