What did you do to your R18 today?

Wunderlich Case Protection Bar install went super smooth (1.5 hrs.); with the help from my son. Perfect father - son stuff, I didn't have to totally remove the side cases electrically, nor the seat wiring as well - where my son was able to hold the case in place; plus the father-son stuff keeps my wife from giving me the stink eye when boxes arrive in the mail.

DIY folks - invest in a torque wrench and lots of locktite (blue); BMW uses that stuff on EVERYTHING... Like Frank's Red Hot sauce..
Our R18’s look great but even better with bling from Wunderlich!

Finally after more than 10K miles I equipped my R18 Classic FE bought in Feb 2021 with all accessories and replacements I needed with most of the infos through this forum:

1. Windshield: Changed to a larger windshield from clearviewshields.com
2. Front fender: DKdesign-global.com
3. Oilcooler: Hornig
4. Crash bar: Formerly DKdesign, but replaced it with roadstyler.com because DKdesign is a faulty design and caused an accident.
5. Horn: Replaced wimpy horn with a Clayton horn
6. Seat: Mustang Day rider
7. Foot pegs sozius: Motea
8. Luggage rack: Wunderlich

Totally happy with my moto and no issues :)

Attachments

• PXL_20220826_065053949.jpg
    PXL_20220826_065053949.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20220826_065116527.jpg
    PXL_20220826_065116527.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 72
  • PXL_20220826_065323685.jpg
    PXL_20220826_065323685.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 66
  • PXL_20220826_065457557.jpg
    PXL_20220826_065457557.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 70
I have found the Grip Puppies to be a great improvement. And for only $15, it was a no brainer.
I like the fatter grip and considered putting two layers on.

I installed the TC Auxiliary Lights, Bracket, Leading Directional-Blinkers and Wind Winglets on my Model B; stopped by the local BMW dealership in order to try and figure out the wiring harness and or connector type in order to power the Auxiliary Lights. I ordered the following part number for an R18 Classic which specifically calls out the Auxiliary Lights P/N: 61111665148; the part should arrive Thursday, so I'll be able to finalize the power piece of the project over the next weekend (Fingers Crossed)

I made it out today for a 5 hr. ride with buddies; had an opportunity to test the winglets (agree with most - I like...).

1661733070653.png

Attachments

• First Edition R 18 Auxiliary TC Lights.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 26
I installed the TC Auxiliary Lights, Bracket, Leading Directional-Blinkers and Wind Winglets on my Model B; stopped by the local BMW dealership in order to try and figure out the wiring harness and or connector type in order to power the Auxiliary Lights. I ordered the following part number for an R18 Classic which specifically calls out the Auxiliary Lights P/N: 61111665148; the part should arrive Thursday, so I'll be able to finalize the power piece of the project over the next weekend (Fingers Crossed)

I made it out today for a 5 hr. ride with buddies; had an opportunity to test the winglets (agree with most - I like...).

View attachment 6689
How bad was the rubbing on your indicator housings from the winglets in the standard position? Do you think the accessory round or micro indicators would fit with them in the OEM position?

How bad was the rubbing on your indicator housings from the winglets in the standard position? Do you think the accessory round or micro indicators would fit with them in the OEM position?
The wear on the blinker lens from rubbing, was enough that I could clearly see it and feel it on the lens; my plan was to possible sell the OEM blinkers - the damage was enough that I didn't feel I could sell in "good" condition. I'd recommend not installing the winglets on a Bagger Model until the front directionals can be relocated, or perhaps swapped out with the micro-LED blinkers (not 100% sure the micro blinkers will be clear of the winglets)

The wear on the blinker lens from rubbing, was enough that I could clearly see it and feel it on the lens; my plan was to possible sell the OEM blinkers - the damage was enough that I didn't feel I could sell in "good" condition. I'd recommend not installing the winglets on a Bagger Model until the front directionals can be relocated, or perhaps swapped out with the micro-LED blinkers (not 100% sure the micro blinkers will be clear of the winglets)
Thank you, I think I’ll make the micro ones a winter project and then see about the winglets. It’s a shame they don’t offer them in a tinted finish, I’m guessing they could be painted. I’m yet to see them in person though so maybe they look ok in the clear.

Thank you, I think I’ll make the micro ones a winter project and then see about the winglets. It’s a shame they don’t offer them in a tinted finish, I’m guessing they could be painted. I’m yet to see them in person though so maybe they look ok in the clear.
I'll post a picture of the blinker when I get home from work later today, so that you can gauge the location of the scuff mark from the winglets.

Back