What did you do to your R18 today?

Where did your order the replacement pins? I would love to get a spare.
See the below link; you will want to order P/N X518PIN:
Product:

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig....int-protection/Mounting-stand-rear-front.html

If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Kind regards,

Ihr Hornig-Team

http://www.mhornig.de

Motorradzubehör Hornig GmbH
Gewerbepark Chammünster Nord C5
93413 Cham
Germany
Geschäftsführer: Hornig Helmut
Regensburg HRB 10330
Ust.Id.Nr. DE251397246

Tel: +49 (0)9971 99 66 10
Fax: +49 (0)9971 99 66 110

See the below link; you will want to order P/N X518PIN:
Product:

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig....int-protection/Mounting-stand-rear-front.html

If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Kind regards,

Ihr Hornig-Team

http://www.mhornig.de

Motorradzubehör Hornig GmbH
Gewerbepark Chammünster Nord C5
93413 Cham
Germany
Geschäftsführer: Hornig Helmut
Regensburg HRB 10330
Ust.Id.Nr. DE251397246

Tel: +49 (0)9971 99 66 10
Fax: +49 (0)9971 99 66 110
Thank You!

$23 plus shipping! I better not lose the one I have.

Removed the 50mm bar/riser extenders and installed the 25s today. I found the 50s allowed me to feel as though I was sitting upright... quite nice around town.... but.... I did 40kms or so yesterday at around 65mph into a bit of wind.... and was a bit average..... hoping the 25s split the difference.... definately more vibration with them. The 25s look a lot better.... or less cheap.... the brake and clutch connectors are set back more.... so less in your face.... but I'd still buy longer lines to get back to a stock look... if I keep them on.... time and a few rides will tell.... new lines will cost 4x what the risers did!

20230810_144849.jpg

Your covers look great! Tell us your lessons learned re: valve adjustment. Am doing the same here shortly...
Definitely need a long-narrow 14 mm spark-plug socket; I ordered the BMW part number socket, as well as a socket off of Amazon which Ulrich recommended within the valve adjustment thread. More to follow, once I attempt the job again..

Changed my oil today ... and was very thrilled seeing virtually no metal dust on the magnet!

IMG_20230812_172927907.jpg

The oil looked dark ... which doesn't surprise me, considering we are hovering around the 100º mark the past 2 months
... but very good otherwise.

IMG_20230812_172905432.jpg

And I really love that K&N filter with the hex on it . it made things so much easier getting the old one out and the new one in!
I did measure the amount of oil that came out (curiosity) and I was down @ 150 CC from the original 4 Liters .. but I have to add the amount
That was in the old oil filter (and the bits I spilled) and I have to conclude that she didn't eat any !!! wow ... my other bike would have burned
at least a quart or 2 in that same time .. I love it !

IMG_20230812_184123699.jpg

And done!

EDIT: ... I do re-use the 'crush washer' ... I have spares, but as long as it looks good, I clean it up real nicely and then put it back in ;)

I drilled out the base of the muffler baffle tube and removed the exhaust servo. Demolished the two Diablo 1 3/8" hole saws in the process. If I could do it all over, I would have saved time and effort by just drilling a series of holes with a long 3/16"-3/8" drill bit and used a screwdriver to punch the thing out. Just take the chrome mid pipe guard off, loosen the clamp, pull the exhaust off, and shake out any metal chunks and shavings.

I recorded a before and after but I have a strong feeling the sound quality will do it any justice. Even took a quick ride around town with both of the slip-on mufflers removed. Resulting sound is definitely not as loud completely removing the mufflers, but does add a good bit of sound.

Hated the quiet nature of the stock R18 Classic pipes. With the servo delete leaving the butterflies open and the extra window in the exhaust, you can actually hear the damn thing.

Servo delete also give me better undercarriage access for lifting purposes.

Edit: might as well mention that I ordered two of the cheap amazon/ebay special crash bars (both styles) and one of the sissy bars. All together the items cost me less than 250 dollars. Should be a bit of fun testing.

Attachments

• 20230813_153041.jpg
    20230813_153041.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230813_173752.jpg
    20230813_173752.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
I drilled out the base of the muffler baffle tube and removed the exhaust servo. Demolished the two Diablo 1 3/8" hole saws in the process. If I could do it all over, I would have saved time and effort by just drilling a series of holes with a long 3/16"-3/8" drill bit and used a screwdriver to punch the thing out. Just take the chrome mid pipe guard off, loosen the clamp, pull the exhaust off, and shake out any metal chunks and shavings.

I recorded a before and after but I have a strong feeling the sound quality will do it any justice. Even took a quick ride around town with both of the slip-on mufflers removed. Resulting sound is definitely not as loud completely removing the mufflers, but does add a good bit of sound.

Hated the quiet nature of the stock R18 Classic pipes. With the servo delete leaving the butterflies open and the extra window in the exhaust, you can actually hear the damn thing.

Servo delete also give me better undercarriage access for lifting purposes.

Edit: might as well mention that I ordered two of the cheap amazon/ebay special crash bars (both styles) and one of the sissy bars. All together the items cost me less than 250 dollars. Should be a bit of fun testing.
Just to understand ... you removed the flaps completely? or was the drilling in the exhaust? If you drilled out and removed the flaps ... did you weld the holes shut? ... sorry just trying to understand ... what you just did is on top of my list of things to do ...the servos removed and the flaps immobilized ... better completely removed.

I guess you could say the flaps haven't been touched. I Just disconnected the servo electronic connectors, disconnected the wire assembly from the butterfly's cam, and verified the butterflies were in fact default open without the servos connected.

The exhaust was drilled from the very end of the exhaust system. Each muffler slip-on comes off simply. Just take off the chrome cover post-peg, and loosen a single clamp with a 13mm bolt.

I guess you could say the flaps haven't been touched. I Just disconnected the servo electronic connectors, disconnected the wire assembly from the butterfly's cam, and verified the butterflies were in fact default open without the servos connected.

The exhaust was drilled from the very end of the exhaust system. Each muffler slip-on comes off simply. Just take off the chrome cover post-peg, and loosen a single clamp with a 13mm bolt.
Thanks ... now I get it. Much appreciated, I don't need to do the exhaust ... I went a different direction there ... Did you use 'Servo Buddies' and if yes where did you order them? ... I don't see them offered at the usual places I buy. Maybe if you have ... a model number ;)

I did not install the servo buddies. I just put some electrical tape over the plugs and tucked them up and out of the way. I plan on getting the gs-911 tool sometime between now (2500mi) and 6000mi. Not too concerned about the soft codes the lack of servos cause. It takes 3 bolts and 10 minutes of labor to put the servos back on if need be.

I am hoping to put a full exhaust on at some point next spring.

I gave a detailed wash, claying, swirl/scratch removal, polishing, surface prep to remove previous chemicals and installed a ceramic finish. Total time between 6-7 hours. It was tougher to do than I thought it would be. I can see where I made some mistakes with high spots on the ceramic coating that I might address later but overall I’m happy I did it. The bike has 134 miles on it and I keep my bikes very clean so I wasn’t removing layers of crud. In hindsight I am not sure it was worth claying it. Everything else I’d do again. IMG_1065.jpeg

IMG_1064.jpeg

I did not install the servo buddies. I just put some electrical tape over the plugs and tucked them up and out of the way. I plan on getting the gs-911 tool sometime between now (2500mi) and 6000mi. Not too concerned about the soft codes the lack of servos cause. It takes 3 bolts and 10 minutes of labor to put the servos back on if need be.

I am hoping to put a full exhaust on at some point next spring.
Thanks :) ... just recently got a 911. stupidest place ever where BMW placed the plug (and how)! I just bought a 3 ft extension to the OBD2 interface. I will post it how I am going to run that into the saddle bags so I can use it when ever i want, without having to take that cover off and fiddle with that clamped on lid ... what-cha-ma-call-it and that little clip ...
... this said, if anybody has a good source for these things I would appreciate it.

I gave a detailed wash, claying, swirl/scratch removal, polishing, surface prep to remove previous chemicals and installed a ceramic finish. Total time between 6-7 hours. It was tougher to do than I thought it would be. I can see where I made some mistakes with high spots on the ceramic coating that I might address later but overall I’m happy I did it. The bike has 134 miles on it and I keep my bikes very clean so I wasn’t removing layers of crud. In hindsight I am not sure it was worth claying it. Everything else I’d do again. View attachment 11221

View attachment 11220
She does look spick and span 👏👏👏

$90 dollar sissy bar from Amazon. After an extra $14 for four longer 8mm bolts, install went smooth-ish. Needed a second set of hands to help hold things for a minute. It was a couple mimimeters too snug to the fender. Had to kinda flex the tubing of the backrest out a bit to get it over the fender.

Also popped on a cheap set of bar end mirrors on while I was fiddling around with it.

The knockoff DK engine guard arrived a few days ago. I haven't installed it. The other engine guard should be here tomorrow. I will choose which to use when the other arrives.

Attachments

• 20230816_165915.jpg
    20230816_165915.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230816_165921.jpg
    20230816_165921.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 37
  • 20230816_165926.jpg
    20230816_165926.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 38
$90 dollar sissy bar from Amazon. After an extra $14 for four longer 8mm bolts, install went smooth-ish. Needed a second set of hands to help hold things for a minute. It was a couple mimimeters too snug to the fender. Had to kinda flex the tubing of the backrest out a bit to get it over the fender.

Also popped on a cheap set of bar end mirrors on while I was fiddling around with it.

The knockoff DK engine guard arrived a few days ago. I haven't installed it. The other engine guard should be here tomorrow. I will choose which to use when the other arrives.
looking good there!

Back