What did you do to your R18 today?

I'm kinda torn. I'm in the hills of Western PA and I ride a bit agressively. I'm not looking for the quietest or most compliant ride. I need something that can withstand a bit of abuse from heavy bike piloted by a giant manchild.

I'm kinda torn. I'm in the hills of Western PA and I ride a bit agressively. I'm not looking for the quietest or most compliant ride. I need something that can withstand a bit of abuse from heavy bike piloted by a giant manchild.
Like I said ... just my 2¢ ... I think I add most of my miles by going back and forth to work ;)

I flog mine when want to. Its a fine made machine. Its a HOOT to ride, no matter where.

David

24,000 mile service today (my self)

Took the bike into the shop for inspection. 4100mi and both tires are smoked. I'd blame myself if it was just the rear but the front is shot too.

I'm off on a tire search.
The front does a bunch of work on these with the weight and long wheelbase especially with spirited riding on our Appalachian's tight and twisty roads.

The center line on the front is 1mm, maybe 2mm deep. The rear is pretty well smoked up the middle. It's not like I don't lean...the chicken strip are as thin as I can possibly make them. I've rubbed the engine guard in turns and my peg feelers are so far gone that I'm close to scraping away peg rubber.

Attachments

• 20230926_155704.jpg
    20230926_155704.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 20230926_155719.jpg
    20230926_155719.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
The center line on the front is 1mm, maybe 2mm deep. The rear is pretty well smoked up the middle. It's not like I don't lean...the chicken strip are as thin as I can possibly make them. I've rubbed the engine guard in turns and my peg feelers are so far gone that I'm close to scraping away peg rubber.
Thr R18 is a great "roadster" and a much better handling bike than many give it due credit for and it looks like you're getting nice even wear front and rear. Sooner or later you are limited by running out of tire and/or ground clearance and it appears safe to say you are "at the limit" of this bike's design platform. I seriously doubt you will see that much more mileage/tire life from any other options in this category and if so it will be a great find, but likely at the cost of handling so I'd recommend caution when testing at maximum inputs. Wear rates for tires among riders are almost useless as everything from heat cycles, load, temperatures, pavement drag factors, types of riding and maybe most important how smooth v. heavy the rider inputs are as to acceleration, braking, etc. I'd say it looks like you're having a blast on your 18 and while most wear factors will be consistent for much of your riding your inputs will likely be the real factors in +/- mileage rather tire manufacturer.

Cheers 🍻 🍻

With that male visitor due here this summer down under (el nino....) my R18 got a Merlin Chigwell jacket (ventilated/mesh and armoured but still sorta cool)..... in black off course....

CY65-130-13-C_1_1.jpg

It arrived without the wife knowing.... so it never happend.

I'm not sure how I'll get all the bug guts out of the mesh front though.... probally will pull up and have a wasp cloud around me..... mmm... he comes the "Wasp rider....."

Last edited:
Got a Nelson Rigg Hurricane RiggPak Crash Bar/Tail Bag SE-4005

Attachments

• IMG_4336.jpeg
    IMG_4336.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4337.jpeg
    IMG_4337.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4335.jpeg
    IMG_4335.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
Interesting. I got 9,000 miles out of the original Michelin front tire. 9,000 out of the next one exact same tire.

I got 19,000 MILES out of the rear. Michelin commander III.

Put Dunlap American Elite white walls on. Wearing fast so far.

David

Having had a pair of R18’s … something I’ve never done! I washed it! Yep, I’m a GSA guy. 🤣
Always have washed my GS... when it rains! Other than that I wash/polish/wax 2x/year or if it went into storage. Did that twice, once for a deployment & once when moving across country..

You are a big guy - you look comfy there. I would have thought you need more leg space than the R18 affords us. I am just under 6 foot and my legs protest just under an hour on the seat.

I built a '69 Kawasaki H1 Mach III out of a box of parts while I was a student. I would service bikes, synchronize carbs, set timing and points with a strobe light and dwell meter (almost unheard of back in '76 in South Africa) to earn money for a new crank, pistons & rings, a secondhand set of expansion chambers and various other odds and ends. That took almost three years and I had to sell my tired old RD350 at the end to pay for clutch plates, tires, K&N's, chain & sprockets, painting, clip-ons, chrome-plating the expansion chambers and a rev counter, I think. It went like the clappers between the lights and up to around 120mph. I embarrassed many a CB750 and Z900 with it, as long as we did not venture out onto open roads. It sounded like a symphony at full tilt with those open expansion chambers. Truth be told, though, it was a PITA most of the time, given the narrow power band, and often hard to start. The Mikuni cards would easily flood if you forgot the fuel petcock open by chance. I cracked the frame twice up front and once behind the engine and ruined numerous swingarm bushings, as a result of pulling wheelies. I subsequently stopped that sh1t on road bikes. I owned both a CB750 and Zee 900 afterwards (-:

The H1 was a 500cc two-stroke triple, kid brother of the H2 750cc triple. The early ones, like mine, had a distributor on the righthand end of the crank (not often you see that on a bike) and drum brakes front and back - double leading shoe up front. Mine looked a lot like this one, except it had clip-ons and a green-on-white paint scheme. The expansion chambers seem identical to those I had, probably the same brand too but I cannot recall what that was. Two-stroke oil tank under the RH side cover.

H1.jpg
(photo courtesy Revzilla)

Last edited:
You are a big guy - you look comfy there. I would have thought you need more leg space than the R18 affords us. I am just under 6 foot and my legs protest just under an hour on the seat.

I built a '69 Kawasaki H1 Mach III out of a box of parts while I was a student. I would service bikes, synchronize carbs, set timing and points with a strobe light and dwell meter (almost unheard of back in '76 in South Africa) to earn money for a new crank, pistons & rings, a secondhand set of expansion chambers and various other odds and ends. That took almost three years and I had to sell my tired old RD350 at the end to pay for clutch plates, tires, K&N's, chain & sprockets, painting, clip-ons, chrome-plating the expansion chambers and a rev counter, I think. It went like the clappers between the lights and up to around 120mph. I embarrassed many a CB750 and Z900 with it, as long as we did not venture out onto open roads. It sounded like a symphony at full tilt with those open expansion chambers. Truth be told, though, it was a PITA most of the time, given the narrow power band, and often hard to start. The Mikuni cards would easily flood if you forgot the fuel petcock open by chance. I owned both a CB750 and Zee 900 afterwards (-:

The H1 was a 500cc two-stroke triple, kid brother of the H2 750cc triple. The early ones, like mine, had a distributor on the righthand end of the crank (not often you see that on a bike) and drum brakes front and back - double leading shoe up front. Mine looked a lot like this one, except it had clip-ons and a green-on-white paint scheme. The expansion chambers seem identical to those I had, probably the same brand too but I cannot recall what that was. Two-stroke oil tank under the RH side cover.

View attachment 11866
(photo courtesy Revzilla)
Good on you! I started riding on Zündapp, Herkules and DKW 2 strokers .... always had to do my own wrenching cause we I didn't have the cash to pay a stealership ... I came to this country a long time ago because I saw this movie when I was young

Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 7.06.20 PM.png

And I wanted a ride like that sooo bad ... so I started like this

TheReBulit010.jpg

and end ended up with the 'Ol' Girl' she has Delcron cases .. stock internals (minus the 'A' grind Andrews Cam) a S&S 'Super E' a 'Primo Rivera' belt/dry primary and all the bits I could wrestle up .... and that is what is in the pic ... 'Black Shovel Paul' took that pic riding down the '97 through Oregon ... unfortunately Paul is no longer with us ... 'Ride on Paul!' ... anyway and now I am back to German alloy ... and I'll be damned if I let corporate shenanigans (thank you Irish for that beautiful ... descriptive word) spoil that for me ... I have always subscribed in the philosophy of "Only dead fish drift with the current'😁 .... and I sure as $hit should stop posting drunk ...but it hasn't rained in 3 1/2 months here and it finally did ... so I am sitting on my back porch posting and playing with my wet stinky dog ... life is F...g GREAT! FTW ride on!

IMG_1889.jpegIMG_1890.jpegIMG_1892.jpegIMG_1880.jpeg

So I installed hellwig bars today. Not real hard but just tedious. Not sure it was worth the money or time until I sat on the bike when I was done. Night and DAY better comfort. I’m 5’10 185lbs for reference. Sitting position comfort is much better. Reach comfort is much better. I will say I have shorter arms. I have to run tall bars on all my mx bikes.

Back