What did you do to your R18 today?

Applied a protective color film to my foglights. Looks awesome...but every step forward deserves a good step backwards. Discovered condensation in one of my turn signals when I was removing the light bezels.

Attachments

• 20231022_172419.jpg
    20231022_172419.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 40
Took my R18 to the dealer to look at my headlight (3 hr ride round trip through the hills in nice wearher)... all the leds are not working in the horizontal bar.... has a check light on guage..... anyway new headlight on order now (warranty).

Whilst there... I bought a new helmet (Shoei NXR 2/ RF1400)..... after loosing 15kg of body weight turns out my head has shrunk one size.... or maybe retirement did it.... this means the shell size is a bit smaller.... so I calculated that 6 less bugs will die on each ride now.... so that is my bit done for the enviroment for 2023.

Last edited:
Took my R18 to the dealer to look at my headlight (3 hr ride round trip through the hills in nice wearher)... all the leds are not working in the horizontal bar.... has a check light on guage..... anyway new headlight on order now (warranty).

Whilst there... I bought a new helmet (Shoei 1400)..... after loosing 15kg of body weight turns out my head has shrunk one size.... or maybe retirement did it.... this means the shell size is a bit smaller.... so I calculated that 6 less bugs will die on each ride now.... so that is my bit done for the enviroment for 2023.
It appears that the R18 is difficult to detect if the headlight is working properly unless you are a trained technician. All I know is that I have dim and bright lights. I don’t even know if I have the interactive turning lights w the 719 option and cruise control.

Applied a protective color film to my foglights. Looks awesome...but every step forward deserves a good step backwards. Discovered condensation in one of my turn signals when I was removing the light bezels.
I like that. If I add these lights, that is something I would want to do. Is the film on the outside or inside?

Over the outside of the lens. It's a pretty thick film. I unbolted the fog lamp and turn signal, removed the bezel, folded back the rubber gasket like material that hides under the bezel, and applied the film. The film has two little tabs of excess material that I can only assume is for application purposes, that I cut off. The film was only a few mm wider han the glass so it didn't need much trimming. The bezel covers about 2mm of the outer rim of the glass so the edge of the film is actually covered and not at risk of being ripped off by wind or picked off by someone's prying fingernails.

For anyone interested, the product is named Lamin-x

I checked my owners manual for Lube requirements and it shows SAE 15W-50, API SJ/ JASO MA2 for engine and SAE 70W-80/hypoid axle G3 for both Transmission and rear drive. That's the 2021 manual. has something changed?

Over the outside of the lens. It's a pretty thick film. I unbolted the fog lamp and turn signal, removed the bezel, folded back the rubber gasket like material that hides under the bezel, and applied the film. The film has two little tabs of excess material that I can only assume is for application purposes, that I cut off. The film was only a few mm wider han the glass so it didn't need much trimming. The bezel covers about 2mm of the outer rim of the glass so the edge of the film is actually covered and not at risk of being ripped off by wind or picked off by someone's prying fingernails.

Hi KevinQ, did you use this color for safety reasons? I installed the white auxiliary lights so auto drivers can see me better. Are there other color options such as blue that might make people think that a cop is approaching? I have seen blue headlights on cars but I wonder if they are legal.

Hi KevinQ, did you use this color for safety reasons? I installed the white auxiliary lights so auto drivers can see me better. Are there other color options such as blue that might make people think that a cop is approaching? I have seen blue headlights on cars but I wonder if they are legal.
I am not completely sure of the legality of the color change....but im sure the my modification isn't going to attract legal attention. As for safety, I'm sure there is some sort of argument to be made for yellow foglights being better for foggy situations.

I havent modified the headlight at all. I do have the yellow film for the headlight, though I haven't applied it. It was more of an aesthetic choice on my part. I love the look of yellow foglights.

Just a thought here regarding the blue color on the auxiliary lights.

In the UK one is not allowed to have any color light fitted that is used by any emergency services ( police, ambulance, firemen) so blue, red and green are out of the question. Impersonating one of these, specially the police is a serious offence.
I would have thought that in NAM you would have the same laws regarding this or pretty similar ones.

Just a thought here regarding the blue color on the auxiliary lights.

In the UK one is not allowed to have any color light fitted that is used by any emergency services ( police, ambulance, firemen) so blue, red and green are out of the question. Impersonating one of these, specially the police is a serious offence.
I would have thought that in NAM you would have the same laws regarding this or pretty similar ones.
Gentlemen, I have no intentions of offending the police, which I have tremendous respect for as well as for all responders including the military. I am 20yr Naval retiree myself.
I believe the yellow fog light can make you more visible to other drivers. I may add the yellow film to my auxiliary lights.

Gentlemen, I have no intentions of offending the police, which I have tremendous respect for as well as for all responders including the military. I am 20yr Naval retiree myself.
I believe the yellow fog light can make you more visible to other drivers. I may add the yellow film to my auxiliary lights.
That is ok my friend, I never thought you had bad intentions, it was only an observation to cover your derrière.

As far as I know, yellow is perfectly ok to use for fog, dust clouds and any other phenomenon that may cause the visibility to drop, so making yourself more visible to other road users in any condition is a very good idea.

I can't see anyone getting a ticket for yellow fog lights; I think yellow is pretty common here in the States as an auxiliary light.

I think the yellow wavelength performs well in fog, as it doesn't reflect the light back at the driver as intensely as a white color light? Not having the reflective light illuminating the wall of fog, will help find the lines on the road in dense fog conditions.

I agree, I think folks will notice the yellow a bit more than the common white color; there's probably some truth this statement, where we notice things that are out of place or not common everyday occurrences.

Thanks for the tip. I’ve just installed mine.

Thanks for the tip!!
IMG_5710.jpeg

Back