Wind deflectors on TC

insomnia

The small wind deflectors attached to the fairing on TC, are they mostly for defeating air flow?

Or does anyone also angle/open them up them in hot weather?

Opened up, do they actually direct air towards the rider in hot weather, more so than the bagger that doesn't have them?

Sorry, found some info here on the forum - those winglets seem to be very useful in hot weather, which is what I need them for most I think.

Anyone found a way to install them on the bagger without moving/removing the OEM blinkers?

Sorry, found some info here on the forum - those winglets seem to be very useful in hot weather, which is what I need them for most I think.

Anyone found a way to install them on the bagger without moving/removing the OEM blinkers?
Yes, one of the forum members installed the TC winglets and replaced the OEM blinkers with the BMW Mini-Blinkers; there's a post showing pictures which worked out great.. The mini-directionals don't interfere with the opening-&-closing of the TC winglets.

I did an add of the TC Winglets, the TC Auxiliary Lights, Bracket and TC Directionals which was approximately $1,200 in just parts; adding the Winglets and the Mini-Directional is more cost effective (unless you also want the Auxiliary Lights).

Attached is my Model B with the above mentioned upgrades:

IMG_20220903_122429882_HDR.jpgIMG_20221107_102957542_HDR.jpgIMG_20220903_071919124.jpg

Attached is my Model B with the above mentioned upgrades
Thanks! I'd have to think about the aux lights, not sure if I'll add them. Mini-blinkers seem cool also. So you use the 12V socket for the switch? Is it not possible to use the switch on the bars? I think I read somewhere that while the bar button doesn't have indication of the lights, it's still possible to connect the cables and use it?

I have found when the winglets in closed position I have the best wind fairing of any bike out with possible exception of the pre 2018 Goldwings. I had one of the late model Goldwings and didn't like it at all compared to the R18TC.

Thanks! I'd have to think about the aux lights, not sure if I'll add them. Mini-blinkers seem cool also. So you use the 12V socket for the switch? Is it not possible to use the switch on the bars? I think I read somewhere that while the bar button doesn't have indication of the lights, it's still possible to connect the cables and use it?

I had removed all of the front fairing pieces, in order to expose all of the wiring necessary for the directional and auxiliary lights (The B model appears to be pre-wired the same as the TC model); I didn't have any luck activating the Auxiliary Light wiring sockets via the Model B control tree "Mode" button. I did price out the cost of the TC Left-Hand Control Tree, it was $577; however, there wasn't a guaranteed that the TC switch would even work on my Model B, due to the CPU being mapped to a B model vs a TC model.

Example: Forum members have added the TC Rear luggage case & pillion seat onto their R 18 B; however, they have reported that the brake light functionality and such doesn't work, despite the wiring harness being in place on the B model. Their local BMW dealership technician couldn't get the TC luggage case brake light to work when retrofitted on the B model; so, I decided to replace the 12V DC socket with a single-switch in order to operate my Auxiliary Lights ($12.00 on Amazon). The Auxiliary LED lighting draws less than 1 Amp; the Accessory Socket supports up to 5 Amps, where the CPU will shut it down, if that circuit's amperage exceeds the 5 Amp limit. The No. 3 Fuse [ 15A ], is the fuse associated with the Auxiliary Lights; this told me that there was some CPU intelligence behind that Accessory Socket. If anyone figures out a solution, I can always revert back to the OEM configuration; but for now, I'm using a simple switch as my solution.

1670066050824.png

The small wind deflectors attached to the fairing on TC, are they mostly for defeating air flow?

Or does anyone also angle/open them up them in hot weather?

Opened up, do they actually direct air towards the rider in hot weather, more so than the bagger that doesn't have them?
I can’t explain how those small winglets work so well, but they do.

Yes the winglets are small but seem to do wonders. I'll have to try them out..

@Scott Semone Thanks for the great explanation. I'm not sure I will add the aux lights right away, but good to know a way to do it if/when I do. I'm considering the top box as well - a little odd that the lighting doesn't work at all. One wonders about BMW's reasoning.

Yes the winglets are small but seem to do wonders. I'll have to try them out..

@Scott Semone Thanks for the great explanation. I'm not sure I will add the aux lights right away, but good to know a way to do it if/when I do. I'm considering the top box as well - a little odd that the lighting doesn't work at all. One wonders about BMW's reasoning.
Search the following by ADAMCHANDLER; he did a very detailed write-up of his B to TC conversions.

BMW R18 Modifications

Guide: Converting your BMW R18 Bagger into a TransContinental​

The winglets make a night and day difference. I have no idea how they can work so well. Recently I took a 25 mile ride in 34 degree temps. There was literally no wind turbulence around me. I have the lower wind deflectors too, but I dont know how that may play into the superior fairing on the TC.

Hi Insomnia,

I just took a dremel to the winglets to clear the turn signals. An inexpensive alternative especially if you like the OEM front turn signals.
They look good, though I do not see myself using a dremel on a 2-$200 parts. For now I will just install and leaved closed all of the time.

I had removed all of the front fairing pieces, in order to expose all of the wiring necessary for the directional and auxiliary lights (The B model appears to be pre-wired the same as the TC model); I didn't have any luck activating the Auxiliary Light wiring sockets via the Model B control tree "Mode" button. I did price out the cost of the TC Left-Hand Control Tree, it was $577; however, there wasn't a guaranteed that the TC switch would even work on my Model B, due to the CPU being mapped to a B model vs a TC model.

Example: Forum members have added the TC Rear luggage case & pillion seat onto their R 18 B; however, they have reported that the brake light functionality and such doesn't work, despite the wiring harness being in place on the B model. Their local BMW dealership technician couldn't get the TC luggage case brake light to work when retrofitted on the B model; so, I decided to replace the 12V DC socket with a single-switch in order to operate my Auxiliary Lights ($12.00 on Amazon). The Auxiliary LED lighting draws less than 1 Amp; the Accessory Socket supports up to 5 Amps, where the CPU will shut it down, if that circuit's amperage exceeds the 5 Amp limit. The No. 3 Fuse [ 15A ], is the fuse associated with the Auxiliary Lights; this told me that there was some CPU intelligence behind that Accessory Socket. If anyone figures out a solution, I can always revert back to the OEM configuration; but for now, I'm using a simple switch as my solution.

View attachment 8062
Scott ... I had aux lights added to my plain FE and my toggle button does not show the light symbol but the switch does turn the lights on and off .. mine were installed by the dealer, it was part of the package that I had haggled out with them ... after the mechanic told me that he was blown away that all the functionality was already there, without having to change the controls .. next chance i get, I will ask him if there was something in the ECU/Software that had to be enabled to make it work.

Scott ... I had aux lights added to my plain FE and my toggle button does not show the light symbol but the switch does turn the lights on and off .. mine were installed by the dealer, it was part of the package that I had haggled out with them ... after the mechanic told me that he was blown away that all the functionality was already there, without having to change the controls .. next chance i get, I will ask him if there was something in the ECU/Software that had to be enabled to make it work.
I thought I had briefly checked the OEM switch for that functionality on my Model-B when I took on the auxiliary light project a while back (now I'm not 100% sure I did); perhaps, if I get to a point where I want to change my setup - I'll have this as an option. So far, I've been really happy with my setup and the switch looks like it belongs on the dash; plus, the switch lights up telling me that the auxiliary lights are on.

I'm not sure if the TC has an auxiliary light indicator on the TFT screen, telling the rider the status of the Auxiliary Lights (ON/OFF)?

I thought I had briefly checked the OEM switch for that functionality on my Model-B when I took on the auxiliary light project a while back (now I'm not 100% sure I did); perhaps, if I get to a point where I want to change my setup - I'll have this as an option. So far, I've been really happy with my setup and the switch looks like it belongs on the dash; plus, the switch lights up telling me that the auxiliary lights are on.

I'm not sure if the TC has an auxiliary light indicator on the TFT screen, telling the rider the status of the Auxiliary Lights (ON/OFF)?
The FE does ... it is a green headlight looking symbol that lights up when the Aux lights are on ... so I would think the TC with the much larger display would have it too ... and good on you for the switch! ... and if it ain't broke don't fix it ;) I will still ask the mechanic .. I should see him tomorrow ... maybe somebody else can benefit from that info.

The FE does ... it is a green headlight looking symbol that lights up when the Aux lights are on ... so I would think the TC with the much larger display would have it too ... and good on you for the switch! ... and if it ain't broke don't fix it ;) I will still ask the mechanic .. I should see him tomorrow ... maybe somebody else can benefit from that info.
Yup! TC has a green icon for the aux lights, blue for the high beam..

1683311030550.png

Last edited:
Ask the shop, perhaps there is another connection that I need to make; similar to what you had to do under the gas tank. If so, perhaps I'll take a stab at it on a raining day when riding isn't an option; if not this Summer, it would be a great Winter project. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated; if so, I can restore all of the wiring back to stock - including the 12 V accessory outlet.

Back