Windshield / Windscreen options?

The factory shield caused buffeting and unbelievable noise in my helmet. The faster I went, the louder. I had to wear ear plugs at highway speeds.

I tried a Laminar Lip for universal cruiser. It did not work. I sent it back.

I bought a small deflector from Revzilla. It works MUCH better. I can ride with a full face on, shield up. Its quiet and comfortable.

I have a bigger deflector (lip) on but have not tried it yet.

David
21 SE Classic
Could you share the reference of that deflector ?

I tried the $100-Solution AKA PUIG 0336H in a different position today (closer/higher) and it did significantly reduce the buffeting but it's definitely no gOLDwing barn door and not as good as the PUIG on my GSA with the huge tank and winglets; I am going to try a couple of different helmets to find the best combo - the Klim Krios I was wearing today has a beak that probably didn't help matters....
IMG_5029.jpgIMG_5031.jpgIMG_5033.jpg

Reactions: Moa
Also, consider these; MRA X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade - RevZilla. They are a bit wider, which helps with the turbulent flow right at the windscreen edge, and with smaller attachments, which results in less obstruction in one's view.
MRA® invented the windshield spoiler for all intents and purposes and seems to have maintained the edge in its functionality. I've owned several and still use one on my 1190 Adventure.

For now, it's just a fairing prototype. Objective:

- different from most offers available on the market (i.e. nothing in the american Harley style)

- with a place for GPS

- with integrated indicators - the choice fell on dimmed LED Kellermanns

Over the next few - the final version with an additional crossbar for the GPS holder
9CDC4C96-BE1D-4DB7-9A09-0A0133621449_1_201_a.jpegIMG_8314.jpegC0690928-3B77-4F20-B622-BFD21C6CF2BA_1_105_c.jpegAD1C5F8A-E8FF-42FB-96EF-F3412D83F1DD_1_201_a.jpegIMG_8304.jpegIMG_8309.jpegA9B7C949-6B25-4710-9BC0-45278A828CD9_1_105_c.jpeg95DD460E-F4EB-4BD6-B6C9-AEEE47147D96_1_105_c.jpeg

Hi Holan, you do make efforts to build some interesting stuff for the R18 . Please carry on . For this one , it s not really what i am looking for . I d like to be able to move with this bike at highway speed for more then 30km without back or ear damage. And I don't want to ride a R1200RT which would be the ideal touring bike .
If some of you have manage to find a windscreen with acceptable noise and vbs for 500 km trips, please let us know.
Hi R2K and GMR18, how are these screens doing regarding noise and vibrations?
Thank you.

Hi Holan, you do make efforts to build some interesting stuff for the R18 . Please carry on . For this one , it s not really what i am looking for . I d like to be able to move with this bike at highway speed for more then 30km without back or ear damage. And I don't want to ride a R1200RT which would be the ideal touring bike .
If some of you have manage to find a windscreen with acceptable noise and vbs for 500 km trips, please let us know.
Thank you.

Thank you.
i Have a Puig on my R75/5 and a MRA on the R18 and in addition from the comments I have read from others there is very little difference between the two. They are both better than nothing but are not fully adequate in providing a guiet envelop for pilot or provide adequate wind protection. We still need a better option that is custom made for the R18.

Last edited:
Thank you.
Hi Phil, I will be able to tell you more about vibrations when I finish the project and do some test drives. I treat this fairing more as a GPS cover, because above the clock is the best place for driving safety. I chose this one because it subjectively matches the old german style of the R18 ;)

i Have a Puig on my R75/5 and a MRA on the R18 and in addition from the comments I have read from others there is very little difference between the two. They are both better than nothing but are not fully adequate in providing a guiet envelop for pilot or provide adequate wind protection. We still need a better option that is custom made for the R18.
Windshields tend to vary in size from breadboards to barn doors. And, apart from being transparent, roughly perform in the same manner those would have behaved when bolted to the front of motorcycles (-:

The new Gen-3 Hayabusa and the latest superbikes fitted with winglets are probably the first motorcycle shapes to specifically have been optimized in wind tunnels. But they feature aerodynamic fairings and only function as designed with the rider crammed in behind it, with his/her wrists in their armpits and their heels up their proverbial 4ssholes. Not exactly like we sit on cruisers (-:

When windshields look good, they will invariably not function well and consequently, when they function well, they might well not fit in nicely with the rest of the R18. Think of the funky corners on R1250GS windshields - they specifically disrupt and divide the edge-induced turbulence into smaller airstream pockets - less pronounced than a single air 'wave' but still not defeating buffeting. There is even some buffeting remaining in the wake of the sleekest, most aerodynamic motorcar shapes. It is impossible to eliminate but can nevertheless be mitigated.

The truly better windshield manufacturers, like Motorcycle Windshields | Windscreens | Clearview Shields, IMHO, accomplishes this with a moulded-in laminar upstand or lip - Clearview calls theirs the 'Recurve'. It effectively lifts the turbulence clear over the rider and passenger. I replaced the (terrible) OEM windshield on my Chief Vintage with a 13" Clearview Recurve - shorter and wider than stock. I was apprehensive about that shape at first when I ordered it, but once installed, it simply worked. Literally wonders. It is so effective that I need to ride with its vent permanently open in summer.

They even advise how to size the windshield headlight-to-tip distance to your own height; Motorcycle Windshield Height Guide | CVS | Clearview Shields. True professionals.

But, alas, not yet available for the R18.

I just fitted the MRA extension onto my classic windscreen. It really works great. I wasn't really bothered by the helmet noise, but this was cheap, so I figured Id try it. The instructions stink though. Follow the pictures.

You have a couple of options with it. You can configure it so that it is a fixed height and just pivots so that the angle is more upright or more back towards the rider Or, you can add an arm so that it is adjustable up and down as well as tilt. I have it with the arm. That moves the deflector away and forward of the screen. I'll try it without the arms to check out the difference. In any case, to my senses anyway, It's total calm behind the thing. And if you feel like taking it off, it's a 30 second job.

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

IMG_2603.jpgIMG_2605.jpg

I have the same one. It works great. I think I am going drill the windshield and screw it on. Still evaluating, but it works.

The only thing I get is wind UP my body that blows into the bottom of my helmet making noise.

David

Thank you.
today a test of the GPS fairing prototype is promised all day. Before you go (for the whole day I had to have a support with a windstopper and a raincoat ;)
IMG_8472.JPG

Before the test:
IMG_8314.jpeg
IMG_8474.jpeg
IMG_8475.jpeg
After the test:
IMG_8479.jpeg
Zrzut ekranu 2021-05-16 o 02.46.30 2.png

Conclusions:
- fairing and frame worked very well
- no vibrations at 100mph

PS. the fairing is just a subtle cover for the GPS - not expected to be windshield from the 1200GS Adventure

Back