Adaptive headlight issue?

The Adaptive Headlight is supposed too direct light in the direction of the roadway, while the bike is corning; I don't think it automatically switches the Hi/Low beam for oncoming traffic.
I was a little surprised that the light has a calibration procedure; that makes me think that there are little servos that move the reflectors. I always thought it was gravity that performed this function.

I was a little surprised that the light has a calibration procedure; that makes me think that there are little servos that move the reflectors. I always thought it was gravity that performed this function.

The entire low beam assembly rotates with electric motors. I noticed my low beam assy was off level while bike was off. Turned bike on and it righted itself.

It would have made more sense if there was a gyroscope constantly running in there while the bike was on.

On naval ships, compasses rely on gyroscopes to maintain their horizon lock, no matter what pitch the ship is at. It's a devilishly simple, but effective technology, as the gyroscope itself is nothing more than a weighted brushless DC motor (rotor), mounted to a stator, mounted to a gimbal system.

But...leave it to BMW to "nuke" (navy-speak for "overthink", "overcomplicate") a simple concept like this :rolleyes:.

Mike

It would have made more sense if there was a gyroscope constantly running in there while the bike was on.

On naval ships, compasses rely on gyroscopes to maintain their horizon lock, no matter what pitch the ship is at. It's a devilishly simple, but effective technology, as the gyroscope itself is nothing more than a weighted brushless DC motor (rotor), mounted to a stator, mounted to a gimbal system.

But...leave it to BMW to "nuke" (navy-speak for "overthink", "overcomplicate") a simple concept like this :rolleyes:.

Mike
Firstly, never question the Engineers of The Mother Ship! 😂, and "BMW answering questions no one has ever asked" is a love-hate kind of thing as to results.....🍻🍻

Well I became a victim tonight... noticed I didnt have any light down the road... the entire housing from the inside came apart 🙁
2167 miles on her exact...

Is my riding season over? Do they stock these now? I was planning on heading over to Tennessee from NJ in August 😢
IMG_7903.jpeg
IMG_7899.jpeg

I took my bike to the Hasbrouck Heights, NJ shop; where they tried a calibration procedure as recommended by the mothership.. I'm not sure what was involved, maybe they can try to correct your light; or at least try and get the headlight in an orientation to give you some light on the roadway.

Last edited:
I took my bike to the Hasbrouck Heights, NJ shop; where they tried a calibration procedure as recommended by the mothership.. I'm not sure what was involved, maybe they can try to correct your light; or at least try and get the headlight in an orientation to give you some light on the roadway.
Calibrations not going to do it. I can see where the plastic parts inside just sheared off 🙁

IMG_7905.jpeg

While this headlamp issue is certainly a "shouldn't be happening" issue, I can't say I would delay a road trip while waiting for a repair unless one planned on riding at night. For daytime safety/visibility I would add led lamps regardless the headlamp and this can be done simply and for very few dollars if not wanting to buy the higher priced kits (Chinese knockoffs w/ on-off switch v. Clearwater, etc.). If new lamps have an unknown delivery date I would ask the dealer if a "standard issue" generic round assembly of the same diameter could be fitted in the interim. While not as high tech it certainly would function and meet Motor Vehicle Equipment Code requirements.

While this headlamp issue is certainly a "shouldn't be happening" issue, I can't say I would delay a road trip while waiting for a repair unless one planned on riding at night. For daytime safety/visibility I would add led lamps regardless the headlamp and this can be done simply and for very few dollars if not wanting to buy the higher priced kits (Chinese knockoffs w/ on-off switch v. Clearwater, etc.). If new lamps have an unknown delivery date I would ask the dealer if a "standard issue" generic round assembly of the same diameter could be fitted in the interim. While not as high tech it certainly would function and meet Motor Vehicle Equipment Code requirements.

I would disagree, with the way mine failed the plastic parts could come in contact with the led itself and catch fire or cause electrical issues.

Is this limited to fairing models? I am planning on replacing my totaled Classic with another Classic but adding a few extra options including the adaptive headlights.

I would disagree, with the way mine failed the plastic parts could come in contact with the led itself and catch fire or cause electrical issues.
I understand the concern and that is why I mentioned if a "standard" replacement assembly may possibly fit in the interim if it's going to be an extended/unknown time for an OEM replacement.

People upgrade and replace damaged headlamps all the time and while some have shapes that would be hard to find options for the R18 models appear to have a fairly common round design that many companies offer in various dimensions. It may be that the R18 unit is an odd size or has some other limiting factor, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the shop and I personally would either unplug the current assembly if I were concerned with a fire or other electrical short caused damage. What would you do if on a trip and debris damaged the light or it failed for some reason? I'm not promoting damaging equipment or riding at night without lights, just not being sidelined if reasonable and prudent options may be available.

Is this limited to fairing models? I am planning on replacing my totaled Classic with another Classic but adding a few extra options including the adaptive headlights.
The Classic and FE have a different design element v. TC and B, but externally I believe dimensions/fitment is the same and should easily be confirmed by the shop. The Classic/FE bulb is the same as the R9T that has only had an OEM, LED headlight the last couple of years. There are numerous companies that offered replacements/upgraded lights that include LED options that were plug and play and this is why I thought if extended delays are expected for a new OEM part I would explore getting one of these in a "standard" or LED rather not enjoying riding.

Calibrations not going to do it. I can see where the plastic parts inside just sheared off 🙁

View attachment 10734
2167 miles?!?!

If I were you, I would also file a complaint with the NHTSA, as headlamps are CLEARLY a safety item. BMW on its own, won't lift a finger unless enough owners raise a stink with the regulatory agencies.

Here's the direct link to the NHTSA online complaint form: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

Anyone else with this issue should also file a complaint with the NHTSA as well. This is how some safety recalls get started.

Mike

I'm beginning to think that that big 1802 cc motor with the unbalanced crank and the shake at start up on the handlebars and forks is tearing these things apart. Maybe a retro vibrator motor is not such a good thing for the rest of the build and destructive.

Supposedly, this is common on all adaptive headlight options.

Quick question:

Do you normally start your bike on the side stand, or with you on it, and the bike standing upright?

Just curious.

Mike
Hit the power button to let the phone sync while I put on my gloves and helmet, Mount(bike is straight) then start the motor. Why?

It also spends all it time on a Stand in the garage... the kickstand is only used on trips.

Back