Adaptive headlight issue?

There are two separate threads concerning this same issue.

Perhaps someone can draft up a description of the adaptive headlight issues, and how it's a safety concern; where we all can cut & paste a unified narrative. I looked at the online form that was posted earlier, we will need to enter our bike's VIN number and submit the safety concern. Below is the link:

The Dealership said no. Once you alter the vehicle the warranty is void on the OEM part itself. it has to be the r18b adaptive headlight housing.

BTW I'm not just waiting on a light bulb. its a sealed unit.

Seems like a B.S. stance as there is no modification taking place (I mentioned if connectors are compatible it's "plug and play". I realize these are a sealed unit and so are the other options. The adaptive setup is actually an option along with headlight pro as part of the items listed in the build your own, "Premium" package. Folks have added extra lights all over their BMWs to include OEM bits that are used in various countries (e.g., LED signals where US models had incandescent or of different shapes, etc.).

During Covid, supply issues saw many BMW bikes being delivered without LED lights, electronic suspension, radio kits, tire pressure monitors and whatnot depending on model with various discounts being offered. On the 1250 GS/A "discounts" were in the $500.00 range for having an incandescent headlamp as I recall with replacement LED lamps being in the same range as prices for the R18 unit being quoted in this thread (and riders have added the missing and/or replaced the lessor bits without voiding anything). Wonder what they would say if the R18 Classic light bar was added to the front of a B-TC or Heaven Forbid a FE-Classic unit that has the same adaptive option and only a different internal reflector set ;)? Regardless, if a sealed unit is in pieces as some of the photos show I can't understand how anything could void it being covered when even a shitty dealer could easily confirm it's broken.

Not trying to beat a dead horse and I have no skin in the game as my Classic doesn't seem to have any problems so I'll wish y'all good luck. I've got to remove my Weekender seat and cancel my order for engine trim pieces and optional rims as this standard of "modification" voiding warranty will see me out of pocket for anything going wrong from top to bottom and the front to rear 😂🍻🍻

Last edited:
Hmmm ... I have no dog in this fight .. FE ... but didn't somebody mention "Those headlights are made here in Wisconsin at JW Speaker." before in a thread? couldn't that company be contacted? it is in the US

Beginning to wonder about lemon laws on this, if they can't fix it in 30 days?
Depends on your state.

I notified corporate of my intention to use my lemon law right. 4 days after I sent the letter miraculously they found a replacement and she's home as of last night.

Pretty upset though, looks like she spent her days outside at the dealership 🥲... she came home an absolute mess...

If I weren't under the weather, she would of been washed yesterday... Once I feel better I'll wash it and hopefully take it out at night to test the headlight

Last edited:
Do we know if they are just replacing the headlight assembly with the same thing which will fail again, or have they actually fixed the problem??

Do we know if they are just replacing the headlight assembly with the same thing which will fail again, or have they actually fixed the problem??
We can wait and see if RyBread or anyone else has a repeat failure. If I were RyBread, I would let her idle in Rock mode, run the motor up to 4500-4800 rpm often, and go ride some more poorly maintained bumpy roads to try and induce failure again, so as to see if it was a production problem or a design problem, or if it's truly fixed.

Le Mien est de 2021 , mais je pense que ce sera pareil pour tout le monde , mon concessionnaire m'a dit que pour le moment , (pour la France ??) 30 sont commandés suite à ces problèmes,mais bmw doit attendre de voir avec le fabricant, car si c'est pour mettre des phares avec le même défaut, ça ne sert à rien.

Le Mien est de 2021 , mais je pense que ce sera pareil pour tout le monde , mon concessionnaire m'a dit que pour le moment , (pour la France ??) 30 sont commandés suite à ces problèmes,mais bmw doit attendre de voir avec le fabricant, car si c'est pour mettre des phares avec le même défaut, ça ne sert à rien.
Il y a eu des propriétaires avec 1800 km à 5000 km sur leurs vélos, certainement des modèles 2022, pas sûr que cela s'étend également aux modèles 2023, qui ont eu des pannes de phares. Gardez donc un œil sur le vôtre et apportez-le immédiatement chez un concessionnaire si vous rencontrez une défaillance avec le vôtre, pour l'ajouter à la liste des échecs. N'attendez pas un service de 10 000 km, faites-le entrer pour le phare cassé, tout de suite.

Well I just got home from a 9 day 5,000 mile trip and my bike also has a broken headlight. Hoping this explains why it seemed that the headlight was aimed low. It’s due for service so hoping my dealer takes good care of me and it won’t be a hassle. It’s a bummer that this is happening to so many here but I was relieved 😅 to see that it doesn’t appear to be an isolated issue. I just happened to notice that the reflector was crooked and when I knocked on the headlight face I could see that it was just bouncing around in there. Upon further inspection it looks as if it has broken off. Dang! That is one heck of an expensive light!!! Does anyone know if requested they would replace it with a non adaptive unit. I’d rather not EVER be the person shelling out $3,000 dollars for a replacement headlight. YIKES 😳!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_5553.jpeg
    IMG_5553.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5555.jpeg
    IMG_5555.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Well I just got home from a 9 day 5,000 mile trip and my bike also has a broken headlight. Hoping this explains why it seemed that the headlight was aimed low. It’s due for service so hoping my dealer takes good care of me and it won’t be a hassle. It’s a bummer that this is happening to so many here but I was relieved 😅 to see that it doesn’t appear to be an isolated issue. I just happened to notice that the reflector was crooked and when I knocked on the headlight face I could see that it was just bouncing around in there. Upon further inspection it looks as if it has broken off. Dang! That is one heck of an expensive light!!! Does anyone know if requested they would replace it with a non adaptive unit. I’d rather not EVER be the person shelling out $3,000 dollars for a replacement headlight. YIKES 😳!!!!
You might want to file a complaint with the NHTSA if you're in the USA.... A couple weeks back, BMW corporate was quoted in one of these threads as having 87 of these on Back Order here in the USA. I've also heard of a few owners not getting satisfaction, the bike sitting at the dealership for 30 + days with the situation unresolved, and the owners lemon lawed their bikes, BMW had to take them back. Check your state lemon laws, in case you need to go down that road.

Last edited:
I just heard from my dealer in PA that the replacement light is in, but they can't do the work until Sep 8. Like others on this thread, I am hoping it doesn't break again.

Back