Adaptive headlight issue?

Hit the power button to let the phone sync while I put on my gloves and helmet, Mount(bike is straight) then start the motor. Why?

It also spends all it time on a Stand in the garage... the kickstand is only used on trips.
Because I'm wondering if the adaptive headlights are at an angle already when the bike is started (on the kickstand).

It shouldn't matter regardless. BMW should have considered all circumstances that owners start their bikes (on kickstand, sitting on bike). Your adaptive headlights suffered a catastrophic failure, which, hopefully you reported for our BMW R18 community to the NHSTA since headlamps are safety equipment.

I thought that maybe, if you always started your bike on its kickstand that maybe, a servo motor might have skipped a gear/gone out of sync with the rumbling motor and tore the plastic housing apart as a result? Just spitballing.

Mike

It would have made more sense if there was a gyroscope constantly running in there while the bike was on.

On naval ships, compasses rely on gyroscopes to maintain their horizon lock, no matter what pitch the ship is at. It's a devilishly simple, but effective technology, as the gyroscope itself is nothing more than a weighted brushless DC motor (rotor), mounted to a stator, mounted to a gimbal system.

But...leave it to BMW to "nuke" (navy-speak for "overthink", "overcomplicate") a simple concept like this :rolleyes:.

Mike
I was a Interior Communications Electrican and had the shis Gyro as one of my maintence items… back in 1978

Maybe the adaptive headlight is a bad option on these bikes, and should just be forgone? I'd think the light bar a more practical option.

Or an engine with counterbalancers on the crank, so the vibration doesn't tear everything apart and break it, through failure. There would seem to be too much mass on the adaptive bits, without enough supporting structure to hold it all in place without vibration failures. I notice "Rock" mode is the most violent of the three modes at idle. Maybe running it in Roll mode, albeit not as peppy, is a viable option?

I was a Interior Communications Electrican and had the shis Gyro as one of my maintence items… back in 1978
Legalman (LN1(SW/AW)) myself, 2007-2019 (medically retired). SURGE 2009, RIMPAC 2010, WESTPAC 2011...and then dry dock onboard USS RONALD REAGAN (CVN-76). I was the 3M WCS for my work center and had to maintain the 13 week report and force revisions for the binder. Dunno if they called it "3M" back in 1978 (Materials Maintenance Management).

Mike

Legalman (LN1(SW/AW)) myself, 2007-2019 (medically retired). SURGE 2009, RIMPAC 2010, WESTPAC 2011...and then dry dock onboard USS RONALD REAGAN (CVN-76). I was the 3M WCS for my work center and had to maintain the 13 week report and force revisions for the binder. Dunno if they called it "3M" back in 1978 (Materials Maintenance Management).

Mike
Yep, we did. 3M coordinator for ET Div 1978 and on.

I have the same problem with my 2022 r18B, 4 months old. The lower deflector is broken and rattles around in the light fixture. It’s annoying as hell at night. I was told by my dealer today they they have a few bikes with the same problem and that they would order a new headlight for me. He had no idea when they would be available, said he would let me know when it comes in. I’m going to Sturgis next week, I guess I won’t be riding at night.

The R18 Classic and FE use a different LED headlamp than the R18 B and TC and the Classic unit is also used in the R9T variations. If my bike was sitting around and/or preventing me from taking a major trip because of waiting on a backordered light, I would have the shop check if the LED unit from the Classic could be used or even a standard incandescent bulb for that matter.

The R18 Classic and FE use a different LED headlamp than the R18 B and TC and the Classic unit is also used in the R9T variations. If my bike was sitting around and/or preventing me from taking a major trip because of waiting on a backordered light, I would have the shop check if the LED unit from the Classic could be used or even a standard incandescent bulb for that matter.

Maybe see if the dealership can get and install the "non-Adaptive Headlight" model as a temporary replacement, while BMW sorts this issue out; I think the Adaptive Headlight is an upgrade option when configuring the Model B or TC.

Yup .. I have been reading this thread and did wonder .. mine is an FE and the headlight looks completely different ... thanks for confirming that :)

I have the same problem with my 2022 r18B, 4 months old. The lower deflector is broken and rattles around in the light fixture. It’s annoying as hell at night. I was told by my dealer today they they have a few bikes with the same problem and that they would order a new headlight for me. He had no idea when they would be available, said he would let me know when it comes in. I’m going to Sturgis next week, I guess I won’t be riding at night.
This is absolutely complete BS in terms of QC standards from a german car / motorcycle company with a reputation supposedly as good as BMW, or Porsche or Mercedes Benz, certainly when you look at what the MSRP is on these. You should file a report with NHTSA that it's a safety hazard and night and blocking forward vision on a vehicle with only one headlight .as it is. Maybe BMW should put those bar lights off of a TC on as a fix on loan until they get the headlight backorders sorted out. Stuff like this makes me hesitant to want to even buy a BMW... I am willing to bet if they didn't make the motor shake and vibrate, this wouldn't be the problem it is. The bike shakes pretty violently on start up to the left side, just hold the left handle bar when you fire it up, it rocks sideways very hard from the torque.

Update: Spoke with BMW Corporate several times, seems like theres nothing they can do about the delay.

Still no eta and there are 88 in the US that are back ordered.
88 and that's not including people that don't even know theirs is broken yet, because they don't ride at night. Or haven't taken it in to the dealership yet to address it, they're waiting for the next 6000 mile service. Or just don't care. Then there's all the lights that haven't broken yet, but will break in the forseeable future, be it before or after warranty is over.

At least with a HD Road Glide, you've got two headlights, hopefully at least one of them works properly if the other one goes out.

Maybe BMW needs to contract with Hella, Phillips, or Bosch or Cibie or other quality light manufacturer to make their headlights. Or they got sold a Bill of Goods on this adaptive light system by JW Speaker. I don't have these kinds of problems on my 2014 VW Touareg with HID's and adaptive light system, or my 2015 VW e-Golf SEL with adaptive LEDS.

Last edited:
While I agree this kind of thing shouldn't happen the endless whinging isn't going to get a replacement any sooner. Even the great Harley with two headlights had a huge recall recently due to their brake lights having a mind of their own and one can check all OEMs and find many others. Doesn't make it right, but it's reality and BTW, I'm happy the old VW is perfect as they have had more than their share of problems too.

I'll mention this again for those that would rather ride than not while waiting on a light bulb. There is a different designed bulb in the R18FE-Classic that is also used in the R9T models. There're options in the aftermarket both in LED and incandescent that were plug and play for the earlier R9T models so it would be highly probable that one of these simple options may do the job for a B or TC while waiting on a new and improved OEM replacement to become available. I would ask my shop to take a look at the connections and if plausible consider a temporary R&R that would "let there be light".

Well, I talked to my local BMW dealership on the phone... FWIW, he says there's 5 of them in inventory IN GERMANY.... Doesn't do us much good, state side, does it,?.... and the replacement cost if not under warranty is $3095.57, before sales tax.

I thought aviation parts for my airplane were expensive, but that's just something else, altogether, for a headlight.

Well, I talked to my local BMW dealership on the phone... FWIW, he says there's 5 of them in inventory IN GERMANY.... Doesn't do us much good, state side, does it,?.... and the replacement cost if not under warranty is $3095.57, before sales tax.

I thought aviation parts for my airplane were expensive, but that's just something else, altogether, for a headlight.
Sidebar: What do you fly?

I only have an trike paramotor, which doesn't qualify me for anything, but I do have a interest in aviation at least ;).

Mike

When did they have 5? It does help us. We can order them direct from Germany. I doubt there are any because even corporate said there aren't any.

While I agree this kind of thing shouldn't happen the endless whinging isn't going to get a replacement any sooner. Even the great Harley with two headlights had a huge recall recently due to their brake lights having a mind of their own and one can check all OEMs and find many others. Doesn't make it right, but it's reality and BTW, I'm happy the old VW is perfect as they have had more than their share of problems too.

I'll mention this again for those that would rather ride than not while waiting on a light bulb. There is a different designed bulb in the R18FE-Classic that is also used in the R9T models. There're options in the aftermarket both in LED and incandescent that were plug and play for the earlier R9T models so it would be highly probable that one of these simple options may do the job for a B or TC while waiting on a new and improved OEM replacement to become available. I would ask my shop to take a look at the connections and if plausible consider a temporary R&R that would "let there be light".
The Dealership said no. Once you alter the vehicle the warranty is void on the OEM part itself. it has to be the r18b adaptive headlight housing.

BTW I'm not just waiting on a light bulb. its a sealed unit.

Back