Adaptive headlight issue?

Well I just got home from a 9 day 5,000 mile trip and my bike also has a broken headlight. Hoping this explains why it seemed that the headlight was aimed low. It’s due for service so hoping my dealer takes good care of me and it won’t be a hassle. It’s a bummer that this is happening to so many here but I was relieved 😅 to see that it doesn’t appear to be an isolated issue. I just happened to notice that the reflector was crooked and when I knocked on the headlight face I could see that it was just bouncing around in there. Upon further inspection it looks as if it has broken off. Dang! That is one heck of an expensive light!!! Does anyone know if requested they would replace it with a non adaptive unit. I’d rather not EVER be the person shelling out $3,000 dollars for a replacement headlight. YIKES 😳!!!!
Update: I called my local BMW Motorrad dealer who said they couldn’t get the bike in until September 7th. Could be worse. I know it is a very busy time of year. I have made an appointment and will keep everyone posted on the outcome. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to contribute to this post. My mind is at ease about this being handled; even IF it takes an unreasonable amount of time to receive a replacement unit from BMW. Thankfully The Transcontinental isn’t my only mode of two wheeled enjoyment. Take care all!

Update: I called my local BMW Motorrad dealer who said they couldn’t get the bike in until September 7th. Could be worse. I know it is a very busy time of year. I have made an appointment and will keep everyone posted on the outcome. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to contribute to this post. My mind is at ease about this being handled; even IF it takes an unreasonable amount of time to receive a replacement unit from BMW. Thankfully The Transcontinental isn’t my only mode of two wheeled enjoyment. Take care all!
What will you do if your headlight breaks again, outside of warranty, in a couple of years or less? Please let us know how many hours of labor charged to R&R the light, once the job is completed. Ask the service writer the book time, when you take your bike in to have the work done.

There are two separate threads concerning this same issue.

Perhaps someone can draft up a description of the adaptive headlight issues, and how it's a safety concern; where we all can cut & paste a unified narrative. I looked at the online form that was posted earlier, we will need to enter our bike's VIN number and submit the safety concern. Below is the link:

[/URL]
Can this be made a sticky, Moderators, if someone does a search for "headlight problems"?

Same issue with mine today. I only just noticed that it was broken, but I had seen the light on the road seem to shake when on throttle since soon after I took delivery of the bike. 2022 R18B w/ 900 miles as of today.

IMG_3158.jpegIMG_3157.jpegIMG_3156.jpeg

My dealership just called me to let me know that my headlight just arrived and is scheduled to be replaced; I think I brought it in for them to try and recalibrate it and start the warranty claim back in June.

Basically 3 months..

My dealership just called me to let me know that my headlight just arrived and is scheduled to be replaced; I think I brought it in for them to try and recalibrate it and start the warranty claim back in June.

Basically 3 months..

Am I assuming too much that basically it was the 3 months of the year warm enough that you'd even consider riding at night?

Guess I am the latest victim of the headlight saga. Noticed my headlight flickering bad on the freeway driving at night. I have the Aux lights re-aimed slightly lower than my headlight to light the road in the event the headlight craps out until the replacement one comes in from Germany. I was told by the dealer that it would be in in about 3-4 weeks. Picking up my bike from the dealer tomorrow. Sucks to know that if the headlight burns out after the warranty expires we have to foot the bill in the tune of about 3,000+ to replace it.

Basically 3 months..
my replacement headlight is acting weird... slow and choppy to move side to side and aimed really low.. Im dumbfounded...

one time it froze to one side, until I pulled over and restarted the bike. (Plus side is i actually had some light for once halfway down the road).

hate that this is an issue.

Am I assuming too much that basically it was the 3 months of the year warm enough that you'd even consider riding at night?
My headlight was stuck slightly to one side, which kept it from dazzling oncoming traffic; I assume BMW will have to keep replacing these lights until they get it right.

I think enough noise needs to be made for an investigation to start at HQ and eventually a recall. This is not an isolated issue, it is happening more and more as the bikes are aging but this is a new platform with only a couple of years in the market.
I don’t believe the vibrations cause by the bike is the main culprit here, I also think the design or components used to build the adaptive headlights are not up to the job.
I actually spoke to my dealer about this and apparently he has never heard of the issue which could probably be BS or not many bikes at his dealership have shown this kind of defect.
My point being that if this is the case it will take years for a recall to be made and by then we would have been out of warranty.

I think enough noise needs to be made for an investigation to start at HQ and eventually a recall. This is not an isolated issue, it is happening more and more as the bikes are aging but this is a new platform with only a couple of years in the market.
I don’t believe the vibrations cause by the bike is the main culprit here, I also think the design or components used to build the adaptive headlights are not up to the job.
I actually spoke to my dealer about this and apparently he has never heard of the issue which could probably be BS or not many bikes at his dealership have shown this kind of defect.
My point being that if this is the case it will take years for a recall to be made and by then we would have been out of warranty.
Everyone that has headlight issues, of any kind, broken or not working properly, needs to file a complaint here. Link > https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

Only by getting enough complaints, BEFORE you get stuck with a $3100 part replacement bill, will DOT force BMW to properly address and fix the issue in a satisfactory manner. I can't emphasize this enough, having been through all the denial of Volkswagen, Porsche, Audi, and in particular Robert Bosch, who designed the whole idea and software capabilities into Dieselgate, for it to finally go to court and be resolved. They had to BAN sales of all diesels, to get those germans off of their azzes, hang some upper level employees, and fire the president, before changes were made. And as a reminder... MB, BMW, Porsche, Audi and VW just this week, cut off any and all support and updates of their cars, in Russia. you guys are mouse nuts, every one of you is going to have to file a complaint to get the ball rolling and get some inertia to fix this problem in a satisfactory manner. Or you can sit back, let someone else do it, and pay $3100 for a new headlight, every time they break. No one wants to be FORCED to ride their bike in Roll mode to prevent breakage, when BMW designed ROCK mode to make the bike feel so alive, it is capable of killing their supreme Adaptive Headlight. Designing vibration into a motor and crank, without balancers, is baking in failure modes and imbalance damages into a motorcycle, and all the other components on it.

It's cheap azz pizz poor engineering, in such modern times, and inexcusable.

I'd actually be more inclined, knowing how BMW operates, to just Lemon Law your bike, if in the USA, back to BMW and get all your money back and out of the bike, and let them chew on that instead, with their superior German Engineering, and the losses it creates for them. I am not that brand loyal these days, with so many corners being cut.

Last edited:
What will you do if your headlight breaks again, outside of warranty, in a couple of years or less? Please let us know how many hours of labor charged to R&R the light, once the job is completed. Ask the service writer the book time, when you take your bike in to have the work done.
This is why it's CRITICAL for EVERYONE, and I mean E.V.E.R.Y.O.N.E. who's having these headlight issues to also file complaints with the NHTSA.

Headlights are regarded as safety equipment, and BMW won't be able to squirm out of warranty legalese if post-warranty issues persist...

...Only if the NHTSA is aware that this is actually an issue!!!!

NHTSA.png

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm simply offering this as common-sense advice, and for the good of the community.

Mike

Guess I am the latest victim of the headlight saga. Noticed my headlight flickering bad on the freeway driving at night. I have the Aux lights re-aimed slightly lower than my headlight to light the road in the event the headlight craps out until the replacement one comes in from Germany. I was told by the dealer that it would be in in about 3-4 weeks. Picking up my bike from the dealer tomorrow. Sucks to know that if the headlight burns out after the warranty expires we have to foot the bill in the tune of about 3,000+ to replace it.
If it takes more than 30 days and they can't fix it, see if your state allows you to lemon law the bike back to BMW. You'll get to keep most all of your money that way. These bikes aren't holding their value hardly at all.

Everyone that has headlight issues, of any kind, broken or not working properly, needs to file a complaint here. Link > https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

Only by getting enough complaints, BEFORE you get stuck with a $3100 part replacement bill, will DOT force BMW to properly address and fix the issue in a satisfactory manner. I can't emphasize this enough, having been through all the denial of Volkswagen, Porsche, Audi, and in particular Robert Bosch, who designed the whole idea and software capabilities into Dieselgate, for it to finally go to court and be resolved. They had to BAN sales of all diesels, to get those germans off of their azzes, hang some upper level employees, and fire the president, before changes were made. And as a reminder... MB, BMW, Porsche, Audi and VW just this week, cut off any and all support and updates of their cars, in Russia. you guys are mouse nuts, every one of you is going to have to file a complaint to get the ball rolling and get some inertia to fix this problem in a satisfactory manner. Or you can sit back, let someone else do it, and pay $3100 for a new headlight, every time they break. No one wants to be FORCED to ride their bike in Roll mode to prevent breakage, when BMW designed ROCK mode to make the bike feel so alive, it is capable of killing their supreme Adaptive Headlight. Designing vibration into a motor and crank, without balancers, is baking in failure modes and imbalance damages into a motorcycle, and all the other components on it.

It's cheap azz pizz poor engineering, in such modern times, and inexcusable.

I'd actually be more inclined, knowing how BMW operates, to just Lemon Law your bike, if in the USA, back to BMW and get all your money back and out of the bike, and let them chew on that instead, with their superior German Engineering, and the losses it creates for them. I am not that brand loyal these days, with so many corners being cut.
Just as a side note I have only ever ridden my TC in rain mode because I prefer the tame throttle it provides. Headlight broken with 6500 on the odometer. 😖

Just as a side note I have only ever ridden my TC in rain mode because I prefer the tame throttle it provides. Headlight broken with 6500 on the odometer. 😖
Maybe it's not the engine, it's the suspension and rough roads breaking the headlights? An overall under engineered headlight, structurally, causing it to fail.

Maybe it's not the engine, it's the suspension and rough roads breaking the headlights? An overall under engineered headlight, structurally, causing it to fail.
You may be on to something there ... or maybe a combination of the two?
Anyway .. I have been following this thread and I really feel with all the folks that have this issue ... and here comes my silly question, this seems to be confined to the TC model? I have a FE with adaptive headlight and 0 issues (10 000 miles) ... but it seems to be a totally different headlight ... noting moves ... just some more LEDs come on to the left (or right) when I turn ... wouldn't it be possible to fit that light on the affected bikes and solve the issue?

You may be on to something there ... or maybe a combination of the two?
Anyway .. I have been following this thread and I really feel with all the folks that have this issue ... and here comes my silly question, this seems to be confined to the TC model? I have a FE with adaptive headlight and 0 issues (10 000 miles) ... but it seems to be a totally different headlight ... noting moves ... just some more LEDs come on to the left (or right) when I turn ... wouldn't it be possible to fit that light on the affected bikes and solve the issue?
It's models with the Street Glide or Road Glide type full fairings that are experiencing these failures.... Baggers and Trans Continentals. I wouldn't want to ride this bike trans continental with their failure rate and backorder of parts not in stock, if you were on the road, say to Sturgis, on a longer trip and it failed.

It's 3100 miles from where I live to Sturgis, round trip. I know the Two Lane Life and Thrashin Supply guys personally, they just did an iron butt day, Deadwood to Las Vegas. about 1080 miles. BMW fairing modeled bikes aren't ready for prime time yet. TransContinental, to me, is just a name, not quite the right stuff yet to live up to it. There just aren't enough BMW Motorrad dealerships between where I live and Sturgis. 1 in Las Vegas, and 1 in all of Utah, downtown Salt Lake. That's a Looooong tow to get it to a dealership to fix.

Back