Auxiliary LED Running Headlights Installation

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think an additional 1A (Amp) of load to the headlight (Running Light) circuit will trigger an error. The BMW OEM Auxiliary Lights draw slightly less than one Amp (LED technology).

I added the Auxiliary Lights to my R18 Bagger and used the dash accessory 12V socket located in the dashboard to power the Aux Lights; it is switched ON when the bike is started, and can remain ON after the bike is shut off for a few minutes (5 min. on my bike).

The R18 B is already pre-wired for the Auxiliary Lights; which is typically switched ON/OFF via the left hand switch control tree on the TC, that part is approximately $600. I used a simple push button, latching switch which illuminates when in the ON condition.

IMG_20220903_071823872.jpgIMG_20221107_102957542_HDR.jpgIMG_20220903_122422714_HDR.jpg

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think an additional 1A (Amp) of load to the headlight (Running Light) circuit will trigger an error. The BMW OEM Auxiliary Lights draw slightly less than one Amp (LED technology).

I added the Auxiliary Lights to my R18 Bagger and used the dash accessory 12V socket located in the dashboard to power the Aux Lights; it is switched ON when the bike is started, and can remain ON after the bike is shut off for a few minutes (5 min. on my bike).

The R18 B is already pre-wired for the Auxiliary Lights; which is typically switched ON/OFF via the left hand switch control tree on the TC, that part is approximately $600. I used a simple push button, latching switch which illuminates when in the ON condition.

View attachment 9371View attachment 9372View attachment 9374
Thanks you so much for responding not just to me but others as well. I traced the headlight wire harness to midway below the gas tank. The running lights harness also is long enough to end up below the tank. Definitely not long enough to reach the left grip switch. I would hate to splice into the headlight wire just to find out that there is a plug in under the tank. This is my left 719 grip switch. Nothing marked on the bottom of the mode switch. Is it possible that I am already wired for running lights plug and play?

Attachments

• 3C79B7EF-9A82-4C1F-8215-F572529EF9A7.jpeg
    3C79B7EF-9A82-4C1F-8215-F572529EF9A7.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
Hello. I have installed these lights in my R18-FE the bracket has to modified in order to align with the triple tree holes. Also the bolts that come with the kit doesn’t include any spacers or washers to properly align and securely attach the lights. if your bike has the steering damper which came in some later model’s it might. I wired it directly to the rear shaft light switch. It’s definitely lots of work just to do this conversion. Good luck
I wired it to the “ rear shaft light switch” ? Can you explain thanks.

I wired it to the “ rear shaft light switch” ? Can you explain thanks.
I have installed the Wunderlich rear shaft led light which cones with the resistor and the light switch, so I used the same switch for my front auxiliary lights so they both come in at the same time. The alternative is to buy a new handlebar switch from bmw which cost about $450/500.

Attachments

• D87D7A45-C500-4B44-9E82-E0D80E2FF2ED.jpeg
    D87D7A45-C500-4B44-9E82-E0D80E2FF2ED.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 39
I have installed the Wunderlich rear shaft led light which cones with the resistor and the light switch, so I used the same switch for my front auxiliary lights so they both come in at the same time. The alternative is to buy a new handlebar switch from bmw which cost about $450/500.
Thanks ; resolved confusion.

I managed to plug and play the BMW auxiliary running lights on my 2022 R18 719. As much as I want to give credit to the outstanding dealership that provided excellent instructions, I don’t want to get them in trouble. I raised the gas tank just enough to locate the plug with matching wires for the auxiliary running lights harness. The lights work without purchasing new $644 left combination switch. The bottom half of the mode switch is not marked but it is the correct switch. Another project completed!!

I managed to plug and play the BMW auxiliary running lights on my 2022 R18 719. As much as I want to give credit to the outstanding dealership that provided excellent instructions, I don’t want to get them in trouble. I raised the gas tank just enough to locate the plug with matching wires for the auxiliary running lights harness. The lights work without purchasing new $644 left combination switch. The bottom half of the mode switch is not marked but it is the correct switch. Another project completed!!
You had enough wiggle room without disconnecting tank? Excellent. I have mine wired in for turn signal and low beam running light, with an extra switch for high/fog. But may look at deleting the switch if I can get at that harness

You had enough wiggle room without disconnecting tank? Excellent. I have mine wired in for turn signal and low beam running light, with an extra switch for high/fog. But may look at deleting the switch if I can get at that harness
it would be easier if you take the gas tank off completely but there was one major wire plug that was a challenge to disconnect. It’s located on the left side and snug towards the motor. I chose to raise the tank a few inches to get to the auxiliary lights plug which is located on the right side against the frame. You would need to uncap it to plug the light harness in. Cut the tie strap to give you a little slack. I found two plug-ins close together. Carefully choose the plug in w two wires w the matching colors as the auxiliary lights harness. It worked out well for me but keep in mind that I have the 2022 R18 719. I have the multi function left switch to run cruise control. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!!

Admittedly, my bike is not a Classic. It's an FE that I added the lightbar to. Attached is a picture of the new switch. You will note that I do not have cruise control. Where the previous switch simply said "MODE", this new one has the aux. lights icon and now serves as both "MODE" and turning on/off the aux. lights. There is no brightness selection.
I have a FE and just purchased the windshield and auxiliary lights w/ hardware. They did not send me any instructions. Did you have to purchase new front turn signals? It appears the ones on the handle bars will not mount to the bar that holds the 2 auxiliary lights. Also, it seems the lights can't be installed with the turn signals. I am calling the dealer tomorrow.

So, wait... The switch is still functional, even without the label on it? We are paying $500-600 for the logo on the switch?

So, wait... The switch is still functional, even without the label on it? We are paying $500-600 for the logo on the switch?
I was informed by two dealerships that I had to purchased the $644 multifunction switch for the auxiliary lights. I researched running a relay to have them on whenever the headlight is on. I also almost spliced into the headlight harness!! I was informed that the harness is directly connected to the multifunction switch which is obviously about 8” too short. The headlight harness is connected under the tank therefore the auxiliary lights should follow. There are two plugs w caps under the tank. Use the plugs with the two matching wire colors. The other has three wires. At this point I still didn’t know if it would be as simple plug and play and it was!!! At least it was on my 2022 R18 719. I was so excited because I just saved $644 and didn’t do any splicing or need a relay!!

I was informed by two dealerships that I had to purchased the $644 multifunction switch for the auxiliary lights. I researched running a relay to have them on whenever the headlight is on. I also almost spliced into the headlight harness!! I was informed that the harness is directly connected to the multifunction switch which is obviously about 8” too short. The headlight harness is connected under the tank therefore the auxiliary lights should follow. There are two plugs w caps under the tank. Use the plugs with the two matching wire colors. The other has three wires. At this point I still didn’t know if it would be as simple plug and play and it was!!! At least it was on my 2022 R18 719. I was so excited because I just saved $644 and didn’t do any splicing or need a relay!!
Yes and this is my switch. I am ok w/o the label.

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpeg
    IMG_2509.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
I have a FE and just purchased the windshield and auxiliary lights w/ hardware. They did not send me any instructions. Did you have to purchase new front turn signals? It appears the ones on the handle bars will not mount to the bar that holds the 2 auxiliary lights. Also, it seems the lights
I was informed by two dealerships that I had to purchased the $644 multifunction switch for the auxiliary lights. I researched running a relay to have them on whenever the headlight is on. I also almost spliced into the headlight harness!! I was informed that the harness is directly connected to the multifunction switch which is obviously about 8” too short. The headlight harness is connected under the tank therefore the auxiliary lights should follow. There are two plugs w caps under the tank. Use the plugs with the two matching wire colors. The other has three wires. At this point I still didn’t know if it would be as simple plug and play and it was!!! At least it was on my 2022 R18 719. I was so excited because I just saved $644 and didn’t do any splicing or need a relay.
I have a FE and just purchased the windshield and auxiliary lights w/ hardware. They did not send me any instructions. Did you have to purchase new front turn signals? It appears the ones on the handle bars will not mount to the bar that holds the 2 auxiliary lights. Also, it seems the lights can't be installed with the turn signals. I am calling the
I have a FE and just purchased the windshield and auxiliary lights w/ hardware. They did not send me any instructions. Did you have to purchase new front turn signals? It appears the ones on the handle bars will not mount to the bar that holds the 2 auxiliary lights. Also, it seems the lights can't be installed with the turn signals. I am calling the dealer tomorrow.
Hey JayB. I need to verify that the current position of the signal lights on the handle bar are not obscured by my windshield. This is for later project due to other more pressing projects. BMW has brackets to move the signal lights below the auxiliary lights using the same lights. If they don’t sell the brackets separately, there was a gentleman on the forum that made them out of angled steel. It should be a very doable project.

Moving the wire harness from the handlebar and separating them (x2) from the multifunction switches on both sides would be more of a challenge.

Hey JayB. I need to verify that the current position of the signal lights on the handle bar are not obscured by my windshield. This is for later project due to other more pressing projects. BMW has brackets to move the signal lights below the auxiliary lights using the same lights. If they don’t sell the brackets separately, there was a gentleman on the forum that made them out of angled steel. It should be a very doable project.

Moving the wire harness from the handlebar and separating them (x2) from the multifunction switches on both sides would be more of a challenge.
I paid $2k for all the parts including the new switch. The dealer left out a few items and they're mailing me the 2 turn signals and correct wiring harness. They just sent me the instructions. I will post in case it can help someone else out as well.

I paid $2k for all the parts including the new switch. The dealer left out a few items and they're mailing me the 2 turn signals and correct wiring harness. They just sent me the instructions. I will post in case it can help someone else out as well.
Thanks for the info 33Cruzr.

Is there any budget friendly Non OEM Auxiliary LED Running Headlights. I can live with some makeshift switch or just keep it running while driving day/night. any recommendations will be appreciated.

Is there any budget friendly Non OEM Auxiliary LED Running Headlights. I can live with some makeshift switch or just keep it running while driving day/night. any recommendations will be appreciated.
When it comes down to electrical, I find it intimidating! I like to keep things simple and just plug and play. Others in the forum will have to chime in. Also others have used the non-BMW auxiliary lights.

Back