Bagger owners, the winglets work!

The spacer solution looks difficult, perhaps impossible. From RyBread's picture it seems that the spacer would have to support the blinkers too.

If one would be up for the task - approximately how far would the blinkers have to moved, i.e. how thick would the spacers have to be?

a) for the winglets to stay clear of the blinkers and b) for the winglets to be flippable?

The spacer solution looks difficult, perhaps impossible. From RyBread's picture it seems that the spacer would have to support the blinkers too.

If one would be up for the task - approximately how far would the blinkers have to moved, i.e. how thick would the spacers have to be?

a) for the winglets to stay clear of the blinkers and b) for the winglets to be flippable?
Excuse the my childish drawing but this is the best way to visualize my idea lol

So my intentions were to make a 1/4 inch spacer. outlined in blue.

but the tension bracket in red would need to be grounded down to accommodate said spacer.

Now I'm just speculating. I wasn't able to test this yet, but from Adams video and other peoples pictures of their winglets and turn signals it doesn't look like it needs much to clear.

Again untested, unproven. this was just my idea for a solution which I have now abandoned because I'm not hacking up my new bike lol

1679408300014.png

I've stared at this problem statement for a long time; I think the Mini-directionals is the way to go, if just adding wind management to the model B, while maintaining a clean look and the R18 integrity...

I've stared at this problem statement for a long time; I think the Mini-directionals is the way to go, if just adding wind management to the model B, while maintaining a clean look and the R18 integrity...
I agree, but the issue is Division of Transportation laws, as Adam stated.

My issue is mini-blinkers, never liked those.

I think the mod could be done if you could manufacture a thick enough spacer which matches the fastener on the bike in form. In other words, a new fastener attached to the old one. Requires engineering skills though and possibly a 3D-writer.

Or you could modify the winglets instead like Wreckit did: https://www.r18forums.com/threads/wind-deflectors-on-tc.1680/

I'm still torn between solutions, so much I may skip the winglets altogether.

I literally can’t imagine a time when I would ever want to fold them in, so the only issue left is the resting on the signals. So far, I am leaving them exactly that way. If a problem presents in the future, I’ll address it then with either the mini signals or something else.

I open and close the winglets a LOT during the Summer season... The Winglets will start to carve a notch into the Directional lens; I'll see if I can find pictures of my directionals with the scuff marks..

If you search "auxiliary lights", "lower leg wind" under my name; you should find a couple of PDF files and pictures that I posted on the two topics. I hope this helps.. Scott
Hey Scott Semone,

Would I be able to install the bar and just Turn signals without the Auxiliary lights?

I'd like to Run some clearwater lights in its place by just bar clamping them on.

Hey Scott Semone,

Would I be able to install the bar and just Turn signals without the Auxiliary lights?

I'd like to Run some clearwater lights in its place by just bar clamping them on.
See the below picture, which shows the mounting bar, auxiliary lights and the directionals; the Auxiliary Lights get mounted first, then the Directional Light - which is secured by a threaded Allen bolt, which applies tension to hold the lights at the set angle (which is adjustable, like a car headlight..).

Hope this helps..

Screenshot_20230323-064427.png

RyBread - to answer your question, I think it would be possible to adapt the ClearWater lights, in place of the OEM Auxiliary Lights; the mounting bar provides a wire channel for the associated cabling. You may only need to adjust the length of the threaded bolt to pull this together.

I would consider the weight of the ClearWater lights vs. the OEM aux lights when mounted on the bar; if they are heavier than the OEM lights, they may cause the bar to bounce around.

Maybe take a ClearWater light into a BMW dealership that has a TC on the floor, and give it a closer look to get a better idea if it will accommodate the mounting bar.

I find the Auxiliary Lights to be extremely bright while riding at night, especially with the high beam in play; the ClearWater output seems to be obnoxiously bright... If you're going for the yellow hue for fog conditions, I think the OEM Auxiliary lights can be ordered with the yellow lens.

Below is a close up of the directional mounting hole and electrical plug.

Screenshot_20230323-071149.png

RyBread - to answer your question, I think it would be possible to adapt the ClearWater lights, in place of the OEM Auxiliary Lights; the mounting bar provides a wire channel for the associated cabling. You may only need to adjust the length of the threaded bolt to pull this together.

I would consider the weight of the ClearWater lights vs. the OEM aux lights when mounted on the bar; if they are heavier than the OEM lights, they may cause the bar to bounce around.

Maybe take a ClearWater light into a BMW dealership that has a TC on the floor, and give it a closer look to get a better idea if it will accommodate the mounting bar.

I find the Auxiliary Lights to be extremely bright while riding at night, especially with the high beam in play; the ClearWater output seems to be obnoxiously bright... If you're going for the yellow hue for fog conditions, I think the OEM Auxiliary lights can be ordered with the yellow lens.

Below is a close up of the directional mounting hole and electrical plug.

View attachment 9438
Thank you for the insight. What would you say the Auxiliary lights weight? Do they get brighter when you use your high beam?

Believe it or not I live in farm country part of NJ. So not only do I contend with deer, but I've actually totaled one of my toys because 5 horse got loose (hindsight I should of hit them) 😭😭

So while I do agree the Clearwater light maybe extra bright. On two wheels, I can use all the help I can get.

I totally get the deer problem, I grew up pheasant hunting and fishing in Spruce Run, NJ; I often see Deer vs Motorcyclist alerts on my job phone. Me personally; I slow things way down speed-wise during the rutting season (Oct. - Dec.) here in NJ, car and motorcycle.

I can try taking my bike out at night this weekend, and take pictures of the following:

1. Low Beam Headlight only
2. Low Beam Headlight w/ Auxiliary Lights
3. High Beam only
4. High Beam w/ Auxiliary

You're more than welcome to stop by in Tenafly, NJ if you want to take a closer look at the setup on my bike.

I totally get the deer problem, I grew up pheasant hunting and fishing in Spruce Run, NJ; I often see Deer vs Motorcyclist alerts on my job phone. Me personally; I slow things way down speed-wise during the rutting season (Oct. - Dec.) here in NJ, car and motorcycle.

I can try taking my bike out at night this weekend, and take pictures of the following:

1. Low Beam Headlight only
2. Low Beam Headlight w/ Auxiliary Lights
3. High Beam only
4. High Beam w/ Auxiliary

You're more than welcome to stop by in Tenafly, NJ if you want to take a closer look at the setup on my bike.
I'm about an 1hr 20mins south, but definitely! Love to see it. We'll set it up.

What about the weight of the oem lights?

Btw Im setting up a ride to Gettysburg May 6-7 if you're interested. I know someone who does the reenactments, who's going to give us a tour of the battlefields.

I'm about an 1hr 20mins south, but definitely! Love to see it. We'll set it up.

What about the weight of the oem lights?

Btw Im setting up a ride to Gettysburg May 6-7 if you're interested. I know someone who does the reenactments, who's going to give us a tour of the battlefields.
I don't have the weight data, but I remember thinking it wasn't as heavy as I thought they would or should be; I'm guessing, the LED design reduces a lot of unnecessary weight.

Max BMW might be able to provide a shipping weight for the Auxiliary Lights in question?

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/

That will connect you to the dealer who has them in stock or quickest stock. All dealers who don't have them in stock get them from the hub in Jersey. Or call your local dealer to see if they have them in stock.

FYI, MOA members now get 10% off BMW parts, accessories, gear, maintenance parts and OEM replacement parts. $400 gets $40 off so worth joining even if all your'e buying is winglets. I should add USA only.

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycles.com/

That will connect you to the dealer who has them in stock or quickest stock. All dealers who don't have them in stock get them from the hub in Jersey. Or call your local dealer to see if they have them in stock.

FYI, MOA members now get 10% off BMW parts, accessories, gear, maintenance parts and OEM replacement parts. $400 gets $40 off so worth joining even if all your'e buying is winglets. I should add USA only.
Ordering this week. Am currently out on mine and you can see bugs all up the front of the tank, buffeting isn’t too bad but o think the wingless will sort it out.

Back