Cost of first service

Just checked with my local dealer who sold me the bike. $392 for a nose to tail inspection, all fluids changed, electrical system analysis, go through and tighten/torque any loose nuts/fasteners, inspect tires and rims... you get the idea.

Just paid $400 for the first service at A&S BMW in Roseville, California. The tech said that they have not done a 6,000 mile service for anyone yet but he said it's about $1500 in their system right now, although that could change (I hope so, ouch). I might have to come up with a self service plan. The dealer is 125 miles away, and if they want $1500 every 6000 miles I'm out (that's $9,000 for the services within the 36,000 mile warranty period).

My first service on the R18 was $385. On my other BMWs the major service at the $6K interval is usually around $400-1000 depending on what needs to be done. More expensive on the S1000R as checking the valves is more time intensive than a boxer.

There will be some variation of course, I often end up replacing at least 1 tire on most bikes at the same time and every other year also refresh the brake fluid. If you look at the maintenance sheets for most of the bikes the annual/$6K service is often just an engine oil change. Every other one is where you also do the bevel gears, valve checks, spark plugs etc. So the costs due vary depending on whether you are on the 6K or 12K interval. My local dealer does free pick up & delivery in the winter months, so if I'm having a tire replaced I'll often have them do the service too.

Once out of warranty I tend to do more of the service myself. Engine oil is easy, brake fluid takes a bit longer, valve checks are a little more time intensive, valve adjustments (which I find are rarely needed after about ~15K miles on the boxers) take a little longer depending on how they are adjusted. BMW has had nearly 100 years to get the boxer engine working well & generally they just keep on going. My oldest one is 50 years old this year & it keeps on running well with easy maintenance.

Last edited:
My dealer told me he just did the 6000 mile service on another R18 and he said it was about $1000 because of the valve adjustment. My intention is to have the dealer do the 6000 mile service and then I'll do the rest myself. I suspect/hope that if any valve adjustments are needed it will be at the 6000 mile check and it should be good after that. Besides, I'm mostly a sunny day blue skies weekend rider. I only ride about 500 miles a month during warm months and very little during the cold weather months. I doubt I'll have a lot of miles on my bike by the time the warranty expires.

Last edited:
My first service on the R18 was $385. On my other BMWs the major service at the $6K interval is usually around $400-1000 depending on what needs to be done. More expensive on the S1000R as checking the valves is more time intensive than a boxer.

There will be some variation of course, I often end up replacing at least 1 tire on most bikes at the same time and every other year also refresh the brake fluid. If you look at the maintenance sheets for most of the bikes the annual/$6K service is often just an engine oil change. Every other one is where you also do the bevel gears, valve checks, spark plugs etc. So the costs due vary depending on whether you are on the 6K or 12K interval. My local dealer does free pick up & delivery in the winter months, so if I'm having a tire replaced I'll often have them do the service too.

Once out of warranty I tend to do more of the service myself. Engine oil is easy, brake fluid takes a bit longer, valve checks are a little more time intensive, valve adjustments (which I find are rarely needed after about $15K miles on the boxers) take a little longer depending on how they are adjusted. BMW has had nearly 100 years to get the boxer engine working well & generally they just keep on going. My oldest one is 50 years old this year & it keeps on running well with easy maintenance.
I'm hoping the 6K service is more reasonable than the $1500 A&S mentioned. The valves don't have the shim under bucket system, so it shouldn't take more than a couple hours all in to check and adjust if needed. Even at $120 an hour $1500 would be 10 hours plus $300 for parts. He mentioned brake fluid being changed too. I can't really imagine the brake fluid going south that quickly and that's also a waste of resources, IMHO. The dealers always want to sell their extended warranty (of course), but IMHO you are better off using that money servicing it yourself and saving for major repairs, if needed. I had them do the initial service just in case something glaring came up. They were very polite and seemed competent, and I get that they need to make a living, but it reminded me of why I have done most of my own work in the past; I can't afford to have them do the full spa treatment constantly. With all the bikes and cars I've owned, I've also learned that you can create more problems than get fixed when you work on them when nothing is wrong; I've had mechanics strip bolts on essentially brand new bikes; if it aint broke, don't fix it, LOL. The free warranty ends up costing a small fortune if you have to spend thousands of dollars on maintenance to keep the warranty in place during a time when nothing would likely go wrong with the bike anyway. Enough about that from me! I should stop blabbing and just ride the thing. What do I know anyway.

I'm hoping the 6K service is more reasonable than the $1500 A&S mentioned. The valves don't have the shim under bucket system, so it shouldn't take more than a couple hours all in to check and adjust if needed. Even at $120 an hour $1500 would be 10 hours plus $300 for parts. He mentioned brake fluid being changed too. I can't really imagine the brake fluid going south that quickly and that's also a waste of resources, IMHO. The dealers always want to sell their extended warranty (of course), but IMHO you are better off using that money servicing it yourself and saving for major repairs, if needed. I had them do the initial service just in case something glaring came up. They were very polite and seemed competent, and I get that they need to make a living, but it reminded me of why I have done most of my own work in the past; I can't afford to have them do the full spa treatment constantly. With all the bikes and cars I've owned, I've also learned that you can create more problems than get fixed when you work on them when nothing is wrong; I've had mechanics strip bolts on essentially brand new bikes; if it aint broke, don't fix it, LOL. The free warranty ends up costing a small fortune if you have to spend thousands of dollars on maintenance to keep the warranty in place during a time when nothing would likely go wrong with the bike anyway. Enough about that from me! I should stop blabbing and just ride the thing. What do I know anyway.
100% agree. Especially the parts I highlighted.

My dealer told me he just did the 6000 mile service on another R18 and he said it was about $1000 because of the valve adjustment. My intention is to have the dealer do the 6000 mile service and then I'll do the rest myself. I suspect/hope that if any valve adjustments are needed it will be at the 6000 mile check and it should be good after that. Besides, I'm mostly a sunny day blue skies weekend rider. I only ride about 500 miles a month during warm months and very little during the cold weather months. I doubt I'll have a lot of miles on my bike by the time the warranty expires.
The valve clearance check is every 6000 miles and can easily be done by yourself

I do a majority of my own bike servicing and the ease of working on any of the R models is one of their benefits. I have a great dealer and always have them do the "break in" service and occasionally other times as well to ensure any software updates are made, etc. A few basic hand tools and gs911 or similar and you are able to easily take care of a R18 with average mechanical skills. That said, look at the you tube videos that show the various service tasks being done on a R18 so even if not inclined to do the actual work you can have an idea of what is involved when speaking with your service advisor. Even with places like California likely having a higher shop rate, there is no way in Hell that they could justify $1500.00 or anything close to that even with the stupid $ for the final drive and transmission gear oil. There is a long list of items "checked" on the service interval recommendations, but most take little time and we (should) do a majority of them while cleaning and/or checking the bike over before a ride. Even if brake fluid needs replacement or if valves need to be adjusted it is as was mentioned above, they are as old school simple "lock nut and screw driver" quick and easy to do so for my wallet "Lucy would have some "splainin" to do", to convince me that quote was justified.

Sounds like you are convinced! You don't have to use BMW's products but you do have to use products of equal specs or a warranty claim can be denied. So far I haven't been able to find a product (besides BMW's) that meets or exceeds their spec for the R18's final drive. It is your bike so have at it and good luck!!
I so totally agree, BMW is not in the business of making lube, they sell bikes and services... They buy their lube at the lowest bid and a wise many will wake up to that,,,,,

I just made the first service (1000 Km) on my R18 Transcontinental by a BMW Motorrad official dealer in Milan (Italy) and I can confirm that it was at Zero cost as anticipated by the dealer where I bought the bike. Not bad considering that on my HD Touring bikes I was used to pay about 350 euros.

What has been the cost of the first service at 600 miles? Mine goes in this Saturday, just want to know what is fair. After that I'll do my own service.
Believe it or not cycle get in vegas is charging 600 for the first service. Crazy. I bought an extended warranty for 1400 when first got the bike that cover everything regardless where the services are performed. So locally a service outside the dealer is about 150. At vegas prices the warranty would pay itself in less that 3 services

Believe it or not cycle get in vegas is charging 600 for the first service. Crazy. I bought an extended warranty for 1400 when first got the bike that cover everything regardless where the services are performed. So locally a service outside the dealer is about 150. At vegas prices the warranty would pay itself in less that 3 services
Your warranty covers maintenance? I’ve only seen separate warranty and service plans.

Your warranty covers maintenance? I’ve only seen separate warranty and service plans.
It is a separe warranty plan what I mean is that the bmw warranty is voided if the service is done somewhere else than the bmw dealer. And whit this warranty you can service the bike anywhere and still be covered with warranty

It is a separe warranty plan what I mean is that the bmw warranty is voided if the service is done somewhere else than the bmw dealer. And whit this warranty you can service the bike anywhere and still be covered with warranty
“You don’t have to use the dealer for repairs or maintenance to keep your warranty in effect. In fact, it’s illegal for a dealer to deny your warranty coverage simply because you had routine maintenance or repairs done by someone else. That said, the dealer or manufacturer can make you use select repair facilities if the work is done for free under the warranty.” https://consumer.ftc.gov/articles/auto-warranties-service-contracts

Back