Cost of first service

My local dealership did the first service for about $200. I don't recall the precise bill, but I thought that it was reasonable. They did not replace the final drive lube because BMW has reportedly changed the lube to some new product that the shop had not yet obtained, so the bill was less than what it would typically be. They did get it done in good time, as I just took a walk down the road and had lunch.

I plan on buying a classic with a cross country seat. I have an R1200R that has only been to the dealer for fuel strips.

I do all the maintenance. I could not afford to have it serviced. I do own a repair shop.
The "Service" reminder has been on since 6,000 miles. I changed the oil and filter every 3,000 miles.
I adjusted the valves once. It still does not need it again. 75,000 miles, I am trading it in.

David

Did your service light turn on for your run in service? I'm going by the manual 300-750miles. I'm at 653miles and no indicator yet. I was going to call tomorrow to set up a appointment

Engine oil. $16.50 x 4
Final drive fluid $76.00 for 500ml. 210 ml per FD change.

Filter and crush washer $20.00

Napa has a full synthetic 15W50 for about $7.99 a quart.

David

This is what I will be putting into my R18 First Edition final drive and I dare anyone, including BMW, to say it's substandard. Bullsh*t from lawyer speak will not apply.

gear oil.jpg

This is what I will be putting into my R18 First Edition final drive and I dare anyone, including BMW, to say it's substandard. Bullsh*t from lawyer speak will not apply.

View attachment 1683
Sounds like you are convinced! You don't have to use BMW's products but you do have to use products of equal specs or a warranty claim can be denied. So far I haven't been able to find a product (besides BMW's) that meets or exceeds their spec for the R18's final drive. It is your bike so have at it and good luck!!

Back