Exhaust Systems

Yeah, on EBay both almost 700. Lot of money
List price from BMW is $1,590 each, or $3,180 for the pair, plus tax.
Mine are not actually for sale. All the stock parts are on a shelf in the hangar in case I ever decide to sell it.
2 hours and it is back in show room condition.

Speaking of eBay, I bought a barely used front engine cover, aka the breast plate, for like 90 clams. Seemed like a steal. But now what do I do with it? I figured wall mount/garage decoration with classic emblem. I may powder coat it matte black for a totally different look on my R18, but then I'd need powder-coated intake covers too. Decisions, decisions.

List price from BMW is $1,590 each, or $3,180 for the pair, plus tax.
Mine are not actually for sale. All the stock parts are on a shelf in the hangar in case I ever decide to sell it.
2 hours and it is back in show room condition.
Yep. I expect that many owners will want to retain the ability to switch back to stock for a variety of reasons. And some will just not want to see the OEM mufflers as dust collectors in the attic or garage forever. At a retail of $1590 to get them from BMW, $700 for the pair on eBay would be a great deal, IF the owner wanted stock mufflers. Odds are good that those OEM mufflers on eBay won't sell anywhere near the current price and, as R18 sales mount, there will be a lot of owners who'll be happy to get a couple hundred dollars for a pair. In any case, cutting up a pair of fishtails in the pursuit of non-stock sound and/or performance is something that I would like to try, but I can't afford to risk big bucks in the pursuit.
I suggest that you give those fishtails a couple coats of wax and wrap them in soft cloth so they stay pristine in dry storage.

I’m toying with the idea of doing a strait chrome pipe with the same diameter and mounting points as the stock exhaust. If anything I am curious as to what it will sound like.
You will not like it. In my construction of my ehxhausts I tried that iteration. Just a Loud hough pitched annoying sound. A few iterations later, and the result is here to see. They sound almost identical to the remus but weigh in a less than 2 pounds each. I have a total of $140 in the poor and the includes having baffles TIG welded.

You gotta do something, you will not outrun backing dogs on Squeking Hardly ableto.
Funny you should say that. I remember some sort of terrier come hurtling out of a local park to chase me up the road barking its head off. Managed to get away - just.

The 48 wont break any land speed records but its horses for courses and beauty in the eye of the beholder. I live in London so for getting around the fastest thing is probably a push bike. But with a motorbike I am faster than most as its not flat out speed but lanes splitting/picking routes through traffic and aggression. I still think the 48 is a great bike for what it is. But its no tourer or racer.

The 48 wont break any land speed records but its horses for courses and beauty in the eye of the beholder. I live in London so for getting around the fastest thing is probably a push bike. But with a motorbike I am faster than most as its not flat out speed but lanes splitting/picking routes through traffic and aggression. I still think the 48 is a great bike for what it is. But its no tourer or racer.

Will you be splitting lanes with the R18?
Those big jugs are GNARLY!

Actually I was a bit cautious at first but I have got used to the size handling and power of the R18 so its fine now.
Sorry. I should have been more clear... I was asking if you will be riding between the cars (splitting lanes in the USA) with the R18, because the cylinders stick out so far.
When I was working in Geneva, all of the motorcycles would run up between the cars at every traffic light and sit at the front, waiting for the green light. When it turned green, before a single car had started to move, the bikes would blast away. If traffic got slow, the bikes would run between the cars, leaving the slower traffic behind.

Sorry. I should have been more clear... I was asking if you will be riding between the cars (splitting lanes in the USA) with the R18, because the cylinders stick out so far.
When I was working in Geneva, all of the motorcycles would run up between the cars at every traffic light and sit at the front, waiting for the green light. When it turned green, before a single car had started to move, the bikes would blast away. If traffic got slow, the bikes would run between the cars, leaving the slower traffic behind.
That's what we do every day 😆

No mate it was me that should have been more clear. Lane splitting is what I have been doing on my busy commute in London for the last 10 years. We all lane split here and its part of the fun of biking with a bit of good natured rivalry with fellow bikers. We have the freedom that cars dont have to zig zag our way through the traffic jams and get to the front of the queue (line) all the time. Having got used to the narrow profile of the Harley and its different weight, power and handling I was a bit cautious about flying up the middle of the road with oncoming traffic, or slipping in and out of cars and buses at slow speed. But the mind and body have now adapted so that I can move around and judge distances with confidence. Of course you need to be sure of yourself if you want to avoid opening up someones car door like a sardine can with those big jugs!

Back