Exhaust Systems

For the first addition naked bike, it calls for something cool and original. Not just another straight pipe exhaust. So far, for me, it's the fishtails and the fishtail delete options that look the best. The others seem so, idk, just another exhaust. Of course for bikes with bags it really does t matter as far as looks go.

Let's hope some more folks get into the game.
With the fish tail delete changing modes between rain roll rock changes the sound. Pretty sweet.

91A66C1F-6822-4604-BE71-EB20A34E6331.jpeg
Closest thing to mid project:D did it on a whim. Super easy -remove a couple bolts, release clamp, slide off fish tails (just mufflers). Then I just put some exhaust tips on the end (not seen here). Started it up and let it run. Could tell the computer was sorting it out. Ridden 300 miles like this and it’s nice. When I ride through the quiet town nearby I switch to rain or roll and it mellows out the sound for folks.

View attachment 3393
Closest thing to mid project:D did it on a whim. Super easy -remove a couple bolts, release clamp, slide off fish tails (just mufflers). Then I just put some exhaust tips on the end (not seen here). Started it up and let it run. Could tell the computer was sorting it out. Ridden 300 miles like this and it’s nice. When I ride through the quiet town nearby I switch to rain or roll and it mellows out the sound for folks.
Slip-on tips, correct? Local auto parts store or order online? It sounds like your mod is entirely reversible, yes?

Ok I like this look a lot. Before buying some tips I thought I would have a listen to the sound without the muffler. Holly shizzle!!!! Had it on for about 2 seconds. My god that is loud. Do you actually ride like that ??
Yeah. I don’t find it too loud unless it’s in my garage. I’ve always ridden with ear plugs as I find the sound of the wind much louder at speed. In town I switch to rain or roll and it quiets it down pretty well. My HD was about as loud. I checked decibels to get an idea. At idle it’s right around 95dba which is the legal limit in California. I measured that from about 6 feet away. The law is 95dba from 50 feet away. If deemed to loud you are a given a ticket to go see a referee. In that time you can do what’s necessary to assure that it is below legal volume. First fine is 50-100dollars if referee finds it over. I believe newsom and custom car lobbyists are to thank for the eased enforcement.

Last edited:
Following this thread, I went a similar route but with the intent of quieting things down. I used EMGO cans and some new baffling. The EMGOs make life easy as they can be disassembled with a single fastener. I slotted three reliefs in each outer tube for mounting with the stock clamps. I cut some drops into the inner tube to break up the sound waves and then rewrapped them with brand new thicker baffling. Sound: if stock Classics are a 1 and the stock EMGOs are a 10, I landed around a 4 —maybe even less, on the volume scale. As far as weight, I’m guessing I dropped 30#. Lots of favorable feedback from folks in the flesh. Cost was about $90USD and about two Sunday morning coffee hours.

0577231F-75A1-403C-8A17-2E7C6A887639.jpeg

Yeah. I don’t find it too loud unless it’s in my garage. I’ve always ridden with ear plugs as I find the sound of the wind much louder at speed. In town I switch to rain or roll and it quiets it down pretty well. My HD was about as loud. I checked decibels to get an idea. At idle it’s right around 95dba which is the legal limit in California. I measured that from about 6 feet away. The law is 95dba from 50 feet away. If deemed to loud you are a given a ticket to go see a referee. In that time you can do what’s necessary to assure that it is below legal volume. First fine is 50-100dollars if referee finds it over. I believe newsom and custom car lobbyists are to thank for the eased enforcement.
Agree idle is very nice. I assume the flapper is closed. When on the throttle all bets are off and it's old-school straight pipes.

Think it's time for me to cut into a set of fishtails. I am wondering if the guy who mods them just extends the through pipe to the baffle (or so) and basically cuts the sound proofing In half. Just guessing. For the 500 pounds he wants to do that, I would be all over it if there was not shipping to the UK involved.

Agree idle is very nice. I assume the flapper is closed. When on the throttle all bets are off and it's old-school straight pipes.

Think it's time for me to cut into a set of fishtails. I am wondering if the guy who mods them just extends the through pipe to the baffle (or so) and basically cuts the sound proofing In half. Just guessing. For the 500 pounds he wants to do that, I would be all over it if there was not shipping to the UK involved.
I don’t think it can be straight pipes technically due to the cats. Could be wrong.

Very much like original HD exhaust systems. They get moved on 'with' the bike and not 'on' the bike.
Yes that has been the case on nearly every bike I’ve ever owned, no matter the manufacturer.
I am a former tool and die maker who has access to my brother-in-law’s well equipped machine shop. If I can get my hands on a set of take-off mufflers we can try to find a duplicatable process for those that want the classic look of the fishtails with a little more rumble.
Now if there is anyone out there has a set they would like to donate to the common cause…..

Back