Floor board options ??

This may help you get down to the details of what will work best. I tried the inverse.. changing floorboards to 2021 round footpegs on a 2022 TC was workable but was what I'd consider a class b solution, speaking with Adam at CycleWerks in Barrington IL got me on track to the 2022 R18 B footpegs.

They have a website, with contact info, and are also active on ebay. He was able to confirm what I'd discovered compatibility-wise, and was able to help me identify and order all the specific parts I needed. I think he would be likely to be able to offer advice and a viable solution, if there is one.

some links to some of my observations... hope this helps.

changed round footpegs for wunderlich on the 2021 R18
https://www.r18forums.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-r18c-today.794/#post-12135

changed floorboards for R18 B flat-top footpegs on the 2022 R18 TC
https://www.r18forums.com/threads/installing-foot-pegs-on-a-classic-with-floorboards.511/#post-9385

exploded views showing floorboards, round footpegs, and flat-top footpegs, with mounts and
https://www.r18forums.com/threads/floorboard-extensions.880/#post-13405

Thank you for posting this with links. This is extremely helpful.

So, the question that I have, (along with some speculation), 1) were the OEM floor boards not acceptable to you ? unable to comfortably toe shift with the OEM boards ? did your feet feel cluttered despite that most floor boards are designed to give more movement ? AND 2) Do you you prefer this flat style/type peg on your Transcontinental..... that is also somewhat similar to the Wunderlich flat peg on your 2021 R18 for both bikes ? as opposed to round cylindrical original pegs on your 2021 R18 ?

Between the Wunderlich flat peg and the R18B flat peg on your Transcontinental, which do you prefer ? How does the Wunderlich peg on your R18 First Edition compare to the R18B style peg on your TC related to feel, movement, shifting, braking and ergonomics ?

Last edited:
Wunderlich does not yet make a lowered footpeg for the TC, as the footpeg/mount is opposite. see link with pictures to compare. round has one block that goes between 2 ears on the mount, and the flat-tops and floorboards have the block on the mount, and the two ears on the footpeg or floorboard. So they require different mount blocks, which is where the kickstand has to line up to use a stop on the block... spacers were required to move the rear brake reservoir to line up plunger linkage, replacing brake pedal may resolve this, and there was a tilt to the round pegs when mounts and pegs were on the TC, actually pointed the drag pins forward, which i was uncomfortable with. As i can't help address these other points, i'd suggest communicating with a shop who has done this and can provide comprehensive and supportable answers.

my old post: My R18TC came with floorboards, and I tried to get used to them, wanted to like them... but I found upshifting off the front of a floorboard to be clumsy and failure prone, hitting neutrals and stuff.. it was just ugly and didnt come naturally, after over 50 years riding toe shifting is instinctive for me... I have other bikes, all with footpegs and decided to just put footpegs on my TC. It was a good decision for me.

I did contact Wunderlich and they indicated new stuff is coming, but didn't say if there would be any new lowered footpegs for the TC. I expect I'd jump on them if they do. hope this helps.

Last edited:
Wunderlich does not yet make a lowered footpeg for the TC, as the footpeg/mount is opposite. see link with pictures to compare. round has one block that goes between 2 ears on the mount, and the flat-tops and floorboards have the block on the mount, and the two ears on the footpeg or floorboard. So they require different mount blocks, which is where the kickstand has to line up to use a stop on the block... spacers were required to move the rear brake reservoir to line up plunger linkage, replacing brake pedal may resolve this, and there was a tilt to the round pegs when mounts and pegs were on the TC, actually pointed the drag pins forward, which i was uncomfortable with. As i can't help address these other points, i'd suggest communicating with a shop who has done this and can provide comprehensive and supportable answers.

my old post: My R18TC came with floorboards, and I tried to get used to them, wanted to like them... but I found upshifting off the front of a floorboard to be clumsy and failure prone, hitting neutrals and stuff.. it was just ugly and didnt come naturally, after over 50 years riding toe shifting is instinctive for me... I have other bikes, all with footpegs and decided to just put footpegs on my TC. It was a good decision for me.

I did contact Wunderlich and they indicated new stuff is coming, but didn't say if there would be any new lowered footpegs for the TC. I expect I'd jump on them if they do. hope this helps.

Are the Wundrlich foot pegs approximately the same size ( foot rest surface area) as the flat top R18B pegs ?

from the photos you posted both the flat top R18B pegs and the Wunderlich pegs look to be roughly the same size regarding the actual foot resting surface area. is that correct ?

Are the Wundrlich foot pegs approximately the same size ( foot rest surface area) as the flat top R18B pegs ?

from the photos you posted both the flat top R18B pegs and the Wunderlich pegs look to be roughly the same size regarding the actual foot resting surface area. is that correct ?
Quick measurement indicates the Wunderlich lowered footpegs are about 10mm longer and about 10 mm wider than the flat-top R18B type. Note the R18B type is tapered back at the end but only on the front, the Wunderlich are more symmetrically relieved. The Wunderlich are pretty much solid, with rubber inserts for traction on the chrome ones I have. The R18B have a rubber top that rocks a little, providing some slight measure of cushion, they feel good, haven't given them a thought once I put them on, that's probably a good sign. I do notice the Wunderlich every time I get on, because they feel and work so well..

I just had a dealer quote me $2500 to replace a classic's pegs with floorboards. Saved them $500 on the build sheet to not have them but $2500 to have them installed (assuming parts can be acquired at the moment) It makes more sense to just only buy one with floorboards versus retro-fit.

I just had a dealer quote me $2500 to replace a classic's pegs with floorboards. Saved them $500 on the build sheet to not have them but $2500 to have them installed (assuming parts can be acquired at the moment) It makes more sense to just only buy one with floorboards versus retro-fit.
The boards alone are about $700 for the OEM, but usually dealers are quoting including the different shifter (and heel shifter add on) and a different brake pedal & kickstand. That plus labor can add up. While BMW suggests you use the other pedals/shifter/kickstand, it may be possible to just do the boards plus heel shifter. There are some riders of the TC, B & Classic that don't like footboards and switched to pegs. You might be able to get some of the parts for less, so you could try just boards & heel shifter.

I made the switch from floor boards to pegs. You will absolutely need the boards, new brackets, a heel shift lever and a different side stand. A new brake pedal is nice but not critical. It's not a hard job if you have a center stand or someone to hold the bike vertical while you replace the side stand. It took me less than 30 minutes.

Lol well if anybody seeing this wants to do a full swap with me, my pegs, levers, and sidestand, are in perfect condition

Attachments

• 20220531_182714.jpg
    20220531_182714.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 20220531_182656.jpg
    20220531_182656.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
I put those footpegs on my TC, got the part numbers from 2022 R18 B specifications, swapped out my floorboards for them.

Back