Fuel Pump Whine

The noise is definitely in relation with the fuel level.
I filled up the tank, and it is much more louder.
And putting one ear on the tank makes you sure it comes from the pump.
I won't wait for the next maintenance to have it fixed, as the shop proposed me.

What is the current fix from BMW, replace with the same PN and hope it doesn't get noisy?

Also, have any of these noisy pumps stopped working altogether?

I have a noisy one with less than 200 miles on the ODO, at first it sounded to me like a noisy alternator but thinking now it's the pump..... picking up some cheese this afternoon :LOL:

What is the current fix from BMW, replace with the same PN and hope it doesn't get noisy?

Also, have any of these noisy pumps stopped working altogether?

I have a noisy one with less than 200 miles on the ODO, at first it sounded to me like a noisy alternator but thinking now it's the pump..... picking up some cheese this afternoon :LOL:
I here Velveeta goes well with Texas wine.

They take mine on Friday morning to make sure of the noise origin.
I rode 400 km yesterday and it became very loud and painful.
Unfortunately I'll leave France mainland for 18 days just after so you'll probably have the result in June.

Any news on this? Mine started this exact thing about 200miles ago (1200 total). Annoying to be sure. I'll swing in to the dealer the next chance I get, but wondering if anybody has had any official feedback yet?

I had a phone call yesterday.
BMW France admits the issue.
They ordered for a new pump.
I'll have it mounted asa I'll be back in France next week

Last edited:
I had a phone call yesterday.
BMW France admits the issue.
They ordered for a new pump.
I'll have it mounted asap I'll be back in France next week
I'll definitely be interested to see if it works. From the thread in another forum that was linked (I can't find it at the moment) it sounded like it night not be the pump itself, but possibly something else in the system that made the pump work overtime (which causes the noise.)

If you find back the link, give it us.
But sometimes, when putting the bike on, with the engine stopped, one we can hear the noise one or two seconds. Till the pressure is reached and it stops.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I just dropped mine off at the dealer. We’ll see. Of course it seemed less noticeable when I dropped it off, but that was mainly because the cicadas are at their height now and are roaring like a jet engine. The dealer said that they hadn’t heard of the issue, and that there wasn’t anything written up in the BMW network on it... they seemed happy to look into it.

For what it’s worth, I just dropped mine off at the dealer. We’ll see. Of course it seemed less noticeable when I dropped it off, but that was mainly because the cicadas are at their height now and are roaring like a jet engine. The dealer said that they hadn’t heard of the issue, and that there wasn’t anything written up in the BMW network on it... they seemed happy to look into it.
Hy Tommymck,
do you have any results yet?
I came in from my evening ride, an i think it goes louder and louder.
I have to contact my dealer soon.

Look at it? What are they, Tourists?

"Look at it", "Look into it"? Maybe you're right BD, tourists observing our rides...

For EPD, for what it's worth (maybe not that much), they rode three other new bikes on the floor and said that they all exhibited the "same thing." I know that Black Dog thinks that we're all OCD nuts, but again, for what it's worth (and again, not that much) this really is a new thing that wasn't evident until around 1Kmiles. The dealer was somewhat sympathetic (as in they didn't say that they didn't hear the issue) and said that since it was documented on my bike, if it turns out to be a "thing", that it'd be taken care of. Also, for what it's worth (again, finally, not that much), I really can live with it.

"Look at it", "Look into it"? Maybe you're right BD, tourists observing our rides...

For EPD, for what it's worth (maybe not that much), they rode three other new bikes on the floor and said that they all exhibited the "same thing." I know that Black Dog thinks that we're all OCD nuts, but again, for what it's worth (and again, not that much) this really is a new thing that wasn't evident until around 1Kmiles. The dealer was somewhat sympathetic (as in they didn't say that they didn't hear the issue) and said that since it was documented on my bike, if it turns out to be a "thing", that it'd be taken care of. Also, for what it's worth (again, finally, not that much), I really can live with it.
You really do not want to ride a K1600, the straight cut gear whine will drive you nuts.B0005982.pngB0006477.png

Back