Fuel Pump Whine

As usual, I agree with Black Dog. Maybe it's just because I covet his plane. In any case, you can only hear it when you're at a stop idling. It's a reminder to me to spend less time idling and more time moving. My dealer said that if it ends up being an issue with fuel pump failures, they'd cover it. In the mean time, the bikes on their floor sounded the same (I don't know why I didn't notice it initially...) I just chalk it up to how the bike sounds. Let's face it, even without the whine, the air intake sound (which is similar to my old R1200C) is it's own unique thing...
Yet another case necessitating the need for louder exhausts! Loud pipes save whines! heheheh

I got it back.
They kept it several days because they broke the fuel connector when taking the tank off and had to order for a new one ... :rolleyes:

So The fuel pump is new.
The noise is now hardly perceptible.
But still here when I get one ear on the tank.
If it stays like that it's ok for me.
But ...
Ok let's see what happens...
Hi Gerard ,
Could you tell us which BMW dealer looked after this ? In Brest and Lorient they never eared of it . Mine is sort of low noise level but i d like to fix it before ending up riding a turbine like motobike while on Holliday trip !
Thank you .

You don't have to change the pump if the noise is normal.
The change will damage more than help.
Some pumps as mine is out of the range = very hight noisy.
The dealer must hear this noise to change it.
No noise, no problem.

The tool is helpful but not necessary. Take your time, be careful and don't be brutal.
The tool i have made is a long pliers with plastic parts at the end to push the quick-connector.
I can't reach it with my fingers and push it the same time.

You have to push the white parts left and right to deform the white plastic safety. There is not much space to do this.
Same time pull the hose off.
Disconnect the electric at the left side and the rubber hose at the right side that goes to the filter-system.

If the tank is off, twist the hose with the connector inward under the tank. After this you can lay down the tank. There is a tiny rotatable connector at the flange inside. Don't brake it. It is only a tiny plastic part.20210516_122055.jpg

20210516_122047.jpg

I agree with you guys! I just hit 500 miles and all of sudden, I started hearing a whine coming directly in front of me. At first, I thought it was some other car, but sure enough, I when I start the bike, I can hear the whine immediately. Thanks to all that is holy that you cannot hear it at driving speeds. So is that what it ends up being--a faulty fuel pump? You cannot hear it if you direct your ears at the back of the bike so the sound is very directional, unfortunately right at the driver.

Yes that's what is strange.
I think there's a kind of resonance with the tank that makes the noise very directional.
One must know it when showing the trouble to a meccanic.

Ok, today, after having filled up the tank, the loud whine is back.
With a supposed to be new fuel pump there might be another trouble on the fuel line.
BMW is really faulty with letting us, and the dealerships, alone on this point.

A german owner gave information about a software-update to solve this problem. O-Tone of his dealer.
He will go in september to solve this. I think it is a false info.
We will se.

With a supposed to be new fuel pump there might be another trouble on the fuel line.
Sad . I need to go to have mine checked but is it worth it yet? Noise is quite present but acceptable for the time being .

I had a phone call with the BMW Motorrad France customer service this afternoon.
They will be back soon with informations about the concern.

That is incredible

Back