Look for 1st edition welcome box

I was equally bummed that Cruise Control was not included with the FE. All the marketing hype leading up to the release kept saying cruise control would be included and it's even mentioned in the R18 manual. Seems like some BMW exec decided at the last minute that the Classic needed to be more defined as a Touring cycle so it was removed from the FE.

Also, in the US, only the FE purchasers were given the US-specific Welcome Kit. It had the book, hat, belt, copper emblems, gloves but no helmet. The box also was specific to the VIN of the cycle.

Last edited:
I was equally bummed that Cruise Control was not included with the FE. All the marketing hype leading up to the release kept saying cruise control would be included and it's even mentioned in the R18 manual. Seems like some BMW exec decided at the last minute that the Classic needed to be more defined as a Touring cycle so it was removed from the FE.

Also, in the US, only the FE purchasers were given the US-specific Welcome Kit. It had the book, hat, belt, copper emblems, gloves but no helmet. The box also was specific to the VIN of the cycle.
Another significant fail, in fact. Even the latest superbikes come standard with cruise control now. The 'Fools Edition' has set a low bar for how many balls a major motorcycle manufacturer can drop when releasing a new model outside their comfort zone. BMW ranks 'pathetic' with the R18 as opposed to Harley Davidson's runaway success with their new Pan America.

It's been covered elsewhere in this forum, but not all the First Editions came without cruise control. My FE has it. What I'm not certain of is whether ot not I got cruise control because I specifically requested it when I ordered the bike OR would it have had CC anyway. The only thing that seems certain is that all of the FIRST FE's that were distributed among the dealers did NOT have cruise control.

I think that the BMW book is the best part of the box. The copper badges are cool, but I just don't think that the copper color would look "at home" on a bike that has nothing else with copper coloring.
I would generally agree that from a purely esthetic standpoint adding the copper badges might distract from all that beautiful chrome but when I placed the badge on their temporarily and stepped back, the copper stands out almost like a subtle gem. To me, it also upped the vintage feel of the bike.

My local dealer, South Sound Motorcycles (Fife, WA) has welcome kit that came with the FEs. When I inquired about purchasing it, I was told that it only comes one of two ways: buy an FE, OR there is a BMW branded jacket you can purchase and they will give you the kit with the jacket. Not sure if this is just a local thing or not.

My local dealer, South Sound Motorcycles (Fife, WA) has welcome kit that came with the FEs. When I inquired about purchasing it, I was told that it only comes one of two ways: buy an FE, OR there is a BMW branded jacket you can purchase and they will give you the kit with the jacket. Not sure if this is just a local thing or not.
I wouldn't go so far as to suggest dishonest dealings, but I must ask why does a dealer have First Edition kits that didn't go with the sale of First Editions?

27A9E871-FDDA-40E5-B540-DD1173442807.gif

BTW, has anyone tried to swap in those copper badges? You need a Torx 20 head which is not the Torx sizes that come with the bike. Also, I took the screws off on the right side badge, but couldn't figure out how to extract the badge off the bike without damaging the side of the tank. It's a really snug fit and you would need to use something strong but non-metal. For my next attempt, I was going to try a credit card.

BTW, has anyone tried to swap in those copper badges? You need a Torx 20 head which is not the Torx sizes that come with the bike. Also, I took the screws off on the right side badge, but couldn't figure out how to extract the badge off the bike without damaging the side of the tank. It's a really snug fit and you would need to use something strong but non-metal. For my next attempt, I was going to try a credit card.
A credit card may work. An automotive trim tool definitely will.

i recently purchased a R18 Classic First Edition and it came with cruise control and the First Edition welcome box. The dealer told me that the welcome box is tied to the bikes VIN.

My salesman didn't know anything about any sort of First Edition kit. I got a little nervous as he phoned around looking into it. The parts department had the box. They didn't know what was in it or anything, just that it went with my bike.

The book is great and the emblems are nice. The rest is meh, like Gerard says.

Have we confirmed from any Classic owners that received the box?
I just picked up my First Edition R18 Classic and it did come with the box of items as described.

Back