Price Aside, what R18 did you want, did you buy that one and why?

TC. Once I saw it in person my life's mission was to own one. Had to sacrifice my 2018 Goldwing to get it. As of yet I have not seen another TC on the roads of northeast Ohio which I like. Being a little different is why I purchased the TC and not a Harley.

I agree that the TC is like fine jewelry compared to Harley baggers 100%. The fit & finish & quality of materials and feel makes the Harley baggers look like a Chinese knock off.....but I believe the Harley would be more comfortable on long trips.

Thanks everyone for talking about the TC as well. It was on my list and is not and @kratedisease highlighted why.

I have a GS Adventure with a 20" tall windscreen, heated Sargent seat, highway pegs, cruise control, 30L fuel tank and lots of wind protection. 1050 mile days 2-3 times a year no problem. The TC WAS pulling at my heart strings for a bit. My wife and I sat down and talked about all 4 models earnestly and compared them.

YES on TC:
  1. Beautiful
  2. Comfortable
  3. Comes with winglets
  4. comes with the seat I'd want to add to bagger
  5. higher windscreen
  6. more storage
  7. better sound
  8. negligible weight / MPG loss compared to bagger

NO on TC:
  1. $3000 more up front cost
  2. Won't tour on it (GS is preferred)
  3. She won't ride pillion (she rides her own GS)
  4. when I travel, I always ride dirt roads and fire roads because I can't help myself even on my K75 RT that I don't tour on
  5. Too much wind protection on hot days
  6. Weight will contribute to R18 feeling a bit slower compared to a classic, stopping distance could be worse too

The biggest thing came down to if I didn't own the GS AND could force myself to stay on pavement, The TC would be a viable option, more so if she rode pillion but all things considered, the Classic / Bagger is where I should focus my attention. Save the $3K for a seat, windscreen and accessories for the bagger.

She's pushing me to go Classic and I really want the Bagger so that's where we are at the moment. Classic will be about $17K..bagger around $19.5. I think it's MORE bike for the money even if I do nothing but drive up and down Vermont roads and never tour on it.

She's pushing me to go Classic and I really want the Bagger so that's where we are at the moment. Classic will be about $17K..bagger around $19.5. I think it's MORE bike for the money even if I do nothing but drive up and down Vermont roads and never tour on it.
One of the beauties of the Classic (again, all personal preference) is the added wind protection without the added weight of the fairing and the simplicity of the Classic's electronics. If you're not going to tour, why pay for the additional touring features? Is the $2500 price difference going to make your riding experience $2500 better? As I've shared on previous posts, ride em both and get whichever puts the biggest smile on your face. Me personally, I'm done with big clunky fairings.

Thanks everyone for talking about the TC as well. It was on my list and is not and @kratedisease highlighted why.

I have a GS Adventure with a 20" tall windscreen, heated Sargent seat, highway pegs, cruise control, 30L fuel tank and lots of wind protection. 1050 mile days 2-3 times a year no problem. The TC WAS pulling at my heart strings for a bit. My wife and I sat down and talked about all 4 models earnestly and compared them.

YES on TC:
  1. Beautiful
  2. Comfortable
  3. Comes with winglets
  5. higher windscreen
  6. more storage
  7. better sound

NO on TC:
  4. when I travel, I always ride dirt roads and fire roads because I can't help myself even on my K75 RT that I don't tour on
  6. Weight will contribute to R18 feeling a bit slower compared to a classic, stopping distance could be worse too

The biggest thing came down to if I didn't own the GS AND could force myself to stay on pavement, The TC would be a viable option, more so if she rode pillion but all things considered, the Classic / Bagger is where I should focus my attention. Save the $3K for a seat, windscreen and accessories for the bagger.

You seem preoccupied with money.

YES on TC:
  1. Beautiful
  2. Comfortable
  3. Comes with winglets
  5. higher windscreen
  6. more storage
  7. better sound

NO on TC:

One of the beauties of the Classic (again, all personal preference) is the added wind protection without the added weight of the fairing and the simplicity of the Classic's electronics. If you're not going to tour, why pay for the additional touring features? Is the $2500 price difference going to make your riding experience $2500 better? As I've shared on previous posts, ride em both and get whichever puts the biggest smile on your face. Me personally, I'm done with big clunky fairings.
FYI the B is only 77lbs heavier then the C. Imo, the B offers much more. It all boils down to what fills your desire!

Considering the fact that I'm not retired / wealthy, it is a factor I have to consider. I'm sorry.
Sorry dude it’s none of my business. No need to apologize. Just an observation looking back at a great majority of your posts dating back to 2021.

This is a luxury purchase, not a needed purchase. If $1500 dollars is really making a big difference in buying a bike you have been lusting after for 2 years, maybe it is not the right time to buy the bike.

Bottom line is a big (luxury, above what is needed) purchase should put a smile on your face everytime you open the garage and see it. Everytime you throw a leg over it. And everytime you glance back at it after getting off.

But hey you do you. FWIW I am pretty damn excited for you!!!!!!!

Sorry dude it’s none of my business. No need to apologize. Just an observation looking back at a great majority of your posts dating back to 2021.

This is a luxury purchase, not a needed purchase. If $1500 dollars is really making a big difference in buying a bike you have been lusting after for 2 years, maybe it is not the right time to buy the bike.

Bottom line is a big (luxury, above what is needed) purchase should put a smile on your face everytime you open the garage and see it. Everytime you throw a leg over it. And everytime you glance back at it after getting off.

But hey you do you. FWIW I am pretty damn excited for you!!!!!!!

Very well said. My wife was similar actually in her response. She Said this is the first bike I ever spent 2 years fussing over before buying and asked, "it sounds like you aren't sure you actually want or need it" sort of made me think because usually, you're right I wouldn't quibble over something in this price range if I really knew I wanted it.

So your assessment is spot on!

Wanted the B. Bought the B. Wouldn't consider a bike with less than 200 miles of range per tank; that doesn't suit me or my rides. Nor does all the TC's pillion luxury. In almost every regard, the R18B checked the boxes on my list; first bike to even come close in the last 5+ years. The test ride cinched it.

Got heated seats and grips but don't know that I'll ever use them. (Thought the same thing about cruise control but learned I was very much wrong about that.) Upgraded to the TC windscreen; a great decision. Not much else to the story.

I bought the R18 Classic in August of 2021 and the bagger wasn’t available yet. The BMW demo days truck came through in June and I had a chance to ride the Base at the end of one day after riding a bunch of bikes including the RT. The Base model blew me away. I came back and rode the Classic the next morning. I liked the ride of the Classic slightly better, having a windscreen and storage, so saddlebags were in my future. I have no regrets about getting the Classic. Price was not an issue.

As far as what I’d change I did it already by getting the Mustang Weekender seat. The stock Classic seat was brutal. I made a few other small updates such as adding Roland Sands accessories but mostly things changed were cosmetic. The bike came with everything I needed. It sounds great, rides great and is as sexy as hell. While the GPS, stereo and other electronics on the bagger are tempting, I decided it wasn’t what I wanted. I take short rides, 100 miles or less, so I don’t need big touring capabilities and usually I ride alone. Also my goal is to head to places I don’t know and get lost, for me GPS defeats that purpose. I listen to a stereo all the time in my car but on a bike I like to hear the bike and pay better attention to the road. For me riding a bike is to clear my head and see the cool things around me. The Classic does it for me. It has all the features I need.

Tom

I bought the R18 Classic in August of 2021 and the bagger wasn’t available yet. The BMW demo days truck came through in June and I had a chance to ride the Base at the end of one day after riding a bunch of bikes including the RT. The Base model blew me away. I came back and rode the Classic the next morning. I liked the ride of the Classic slightly better, having a windscreen and storage, so saddlebags were in my future. I have no regrets about getting the Classic. Price was not an issue.

As far as what I’d change I did it already by getting the Mustang Weekender seat. The stock Classic seat was brutal. I made a few other small updates such as adding Roland Sands accessories but mostly things changed were cosmetic. The bike came with everything I needed. It sounds great, rides great and is as sexy as hell. While the GPS, stereo and other electronics on the bagger are tempting, I decided it wasn’t what I wanted. I take short rides, 100 miles or less, so I don’t need big touring capabilities and usually I ride alone. Also my goal is to head to places I don’t know and get lost, for me GPS defeats that purpose. I listen to a stereo all the time in my car but on a bike I like to hear the bike and pay better attention to the road. For me riding a bike is to clear my head and see the cool things around me. The Classic does it for me. It has all the features I need.

Tom
I do want to get into touring more and I do agree the stock seat is worthless after 30 minutes

First hot deal on a R18RC in the Galaxy paint was the one that I wanted at first.

Deal was hot... Yes I'm married so I did think about my wife's thoughts which I knew were not favorable towards me buying a bike even though she would tell me she didn't care for one but I could get it if I wanted with a odd sparkle in her eye.... I just knew she didn't want me to get one.... So then I started looking at the R18FE because the price was alot less and I was thinking if I got the lowest priced one she could possibly end up forgiving me easier.... But then after awhile (about a month) of discussing with her by bold in her face reasons I should get the bike because it was a killer deal and I may never be able to get a bike like this if I don't act NOW.... After a month she just didn't seem to care for the idea at all and made her point known. At that point I just decided to not be so concerned with her happiness because I wanted to be happy and I decided this bike had the right stuff to make me happy...:D

So then I started looking at the Harley Davidson's SPortser S and Nightser but as much as I was attacted to them the limited availability and local over MSRP MARK UPS on the price just didn't make sense to the deal side of my brain.... So I decided HD wasn't going to happen......

Then I started to look at the Japanese Retro motorcycles like the NInja ZX1000 50th anniversary and other retro new modern Japanese motorcycles which I could get a decent deal on compared to the HD bikes I liked... But my heart came back to the R18RC but it was sold.... and my local dealership had no more stock. but told me to wait a few weeks and they would get more and possibly there could be some deals as well.... So I waited and low and behold the deals were still on and the bikes became available.... At this point I considered the R18B because it came with the bags, windshield and lower mount for the signals and fog lights.... Then I started looking at other differences and I like the R18FE wheel and tire options better.... So I did the BMW Custom build at the WEB site and got a perfect bike dialed in in Manhatten Green color that really blew my mind with mag wheels all tricked out and the price was only 18K... printed it out and gave it to the dealership and they spent about a week and half trying to figure out how to get me the bike and then the price jumped to about 28K and they were going to order a R18 in the color I wanted and then buy all the options extra I wanted and the whole pricing and set up made no sense to me so I scrapped that idea....

A few days later I saw the light in my mind and went with a nicely equipped black R18FE with a sweet price at the time....:)

The R18FE seemed like the best choice for me because I like the size of the wheels and rake angle. I also came up with a custom modification plan that I can carry out on my own to make my R18FE truly unique. This was the best choice for me and after extensive analysis I have no regrets.

Last edited:
I bought the Classic FE. Took advantage of the fire-sale price and attractive BMW financing. Not sure I would have been in a position to buy one if not for that. I sat on both the Transcontinental with floorboards, and the Classic FE with standard footpegs. My hips cramped up after sitting on the TC, but that didn't happen with the Classic, so.... That's the one I went with

I was attracted to the 'deal' -- R18 FE. I was sold on the looks. Retro looks. I enjoy feeling the wind on a warm sunny day, not a big fan of riding in a cocoon (I have a car for that) the FE was perfect for me. So I sold my Kawasaki W800 (retro) and drove to St. Louis from Toledo to get my 'great deal' R18. not disappointed at all. BTW the folks at Gateway BMW in St. Louis sure know how to treat their customers. Really enjoyed working with Jon there. He was willing to pick me up at the airport - and he held the bike without a deposit. (wasn't my request - just never came up) Yep, nice folks there. Wish I lived close by for my service needs.

Reference your question about the headlamp, the FE and Classic have a different design than the unit on the B and TC, but they both offer cornering lighting. Perhaps one of the folks that have both versions could comment if the beam patterns are noticeably different.

Maybe a long weekend "fly and ride" would work if the numbers are that much better? Using the transport $ for a nice ride getting to know your new bike is a Win-Win in my book.
Fly and ride is a great way to go. The dealer should be willing to pick you up at the airport. You'd have to plan on 600 mile oil change and final drive fluid change - but that's probably doable.

Also, HDs are too common now, nobody looks twice at a harley. this R18FE is definitely getting noticed. It is absolutely gorgeous. The exhaust is even looking good to me now; much nicer looking in person. I have to say the cross country seat looks good to me also, not too large like some have said. the Xcountry seat is actually about the same size as the Indian seat, and nobody ever complained about them??

I am gonna tell you a story. When I was a kid my stepdad had parents (like many do). On their back porch were 2 R60s... as a young enduro racer I was hypnotized... black, sleek, mysterious... rumors abounded their cycles were all designed by German wonder weapon designers. They were really cool.
In Ohio in those days you could get a motorcycle license at 15. I had an enduro bike I could use and my parents were fine with the idea. I came home from the test and one of them was assembled in the driveway. It honestly was the coolest bike in human history. Earles' forks, clean, super.

The years went by and I went on to become a GS rider and I've owned every iteration of the GS, including the R80 and R100 Paris Dakar. I've ridden all over... ridden here, ridden there.

I heard rumors for years that BMW was going to build motorcycles again. Not spaceships, but motorcycles. Let Down After Let Down... The R12c... perhaps the most hideous motorcycle with no obvious use ever... The R9T (sorry R9T owners) Its not a GS, Its not retro, its just, well, an R9T :).

Then Covid.... finally, the first edition R18 arrived. I realized there was no way I could ride it... but I took one for a 200 mile test ride and the seating position just worked. But I would never want a windshield on the bike and I would never want more than the great cloth messenger bags on the bike... I didnt even want a pillion (I pray for the day the rectangular luggage rack is made) To put anything on the bike should be a felony. Not to mention I'm not too crazy about the idea of riding a slammed cruiser cross country no matter how many goodies are on it.

But they had to have my money. The First Edition is everything a bike should be and nothing that shouldn't. It is a real get in touch moment with motorcycling's heritage. Yes, I have had nothing but problems with it but I do love the bike. It is about what motorcycles WERE, not what they ARE yet they managed to slip ABS and ASC in :) Go naked, get back in touch, find out you don't need all that stuff.

I am gonna tell you a story. When I was a kid my stepdad had parents (like many do). On their back porch were 2 R60s... as a young enduro racer I was hypnotized... black, sleek, mysterious... rumors abounded their cycles were all designed by German wonder weapon designers. They were really cool.
In Ohio in those days you could get a motorcycle license at 15. I had an enduro bike I could use and my parents were fine with the idea. I came home from the test and one of them was assembled in the driveway. It honestly was the coolest bike in human history. Earles' forks, clean, super.

The years went by and I went on to become a GS rider and I've owned every iteration of the GS, including the R80 and R100 Paris Dakar. I've ridden all over... ridden here, ridden there.

I heard rumors for years that BMW was going to build motorcycles again. Not spaceships, but motorcycles. Let Down After Let Down... The R12c... perhaps the most hideous motorcycle with no obvious use ever... The R9T (sorry R9T owners) Its not a GS, Its not retro, its just, well, an R9T :).

Then Covid.... finally, the first edition R18 arrived. I realized there was no way I could ride it... but I took one for a 200 mile test ride and the seating position just worked. But I would never want a windshield on the bike and I would never want more than the great cloth messenger bags on the bike... I didnt even want a pillion (I pray for the day the rectangular luggage rack is made) To put anything on the bike should be a felony. Not to mention I'm not too crazy about the idea of riding a slammed cruiser cross country no matter how many goodies are on it.

But they had to have my money. The First Edition is everything a bike should be and nothing that shouldn't. It is a real get in touch moment with motorcycling's heritage. Yes, I have had nothing but problems with it but I do love the bike. It is about what motorcycles WERE, not what they ARE yet they managed to slip ABS and ASC in :) Go naked, get back in touch, find out you don't need all that stuff.
Agree !!

Back