Price check on aisle 5

Half of my old HD rider group loves it the other half was insulted I would buy a British bike.... (uh, guys? BMW is German). BMW needs to do a better job of educating the American market on the R18 if they want to dip into the MoCo crowd.
I think your American friends need to do a better job of being educated in general. Just sayin, I don't think that is BMW's responsibility. Lol.

Of course we did have a prominent politician who though the UK and England were synonymous. So apparently there is no limit to lack of basic intelligence around here 😜

Last edited:
Interestingly enough, there are no changes in the Pure or Classic from 2021-2022. That may bolster some confidence. The R18 is a big hit in Europe (so Im told) and dealers want these units on the road for visibility. Every time I stop, Im asked if my R18 is an import or is it available in the US. Half of my old HD rider group loves it the other half was insulted I would buy a British bike.... (uh, guys? BMW is German).
There is definitely a bit of the UDF (Ural Delay Factor) that happens with the R18. Everyone wants to talk a lot when they see it. I've had comments ranging from "it's an old bike, but modern", "that engine looks bigger than any Harley", "it shakes like a horse waiting to sprint when idling", to sport bike riders commenting "that bike was much faster thru the twisties than it has any right to be given the size".

If anything some of the further stripping down (and the price impact) on the R18 is going to help. The Pure can be had without spoked wheels and without the fork surrounds to lower the cost to $16K. The Classic starts at $19K vs ~$21 for a Heritage Classic. Several are commenting on the price of a TC or Bagger vs a Harley or the new Indian Pursuit as being a bargain starting at $25K for the TC vs $30K for a Pursuit or $29K for an Ultra Limited. With a bike that stands out from the masses and is a bargain, I expect the next couple years will be very positive for the R18.

I think your American friends need to do a better job of being educated in general. Just sayin ...
No question.
I guess as someone who has traveled across the pond more than a few times, we (wife and I) see a much bigger picture than just the US lifestyle.
Most HD guys/gals cling to the brand no matter what. Silly. And yes, one commented British Motor Works? Ah, no.

There is definitely a bit of the UDF (Ural Delay Factor) that happens with the R18. Everyone wants to talk a lot when they see it. I've had comments ranging from "it's an old bike, but modern", "that engine looks bigger than any Harley", "it shakes like a horse waiting to sprint when idling", to sport bike riders commenting "that bike was much faster thru the twisties than it has any right to be given the size".

If anything some of the further stripping down (and the price impact) on the R18 is going to help. The Pure can be had without spoked wheels and without the fork surrounds to lower the cost to $16K. The Classic starts at $19K vs ~$21 for a Heritage Classic. Several are commenting on the price of a TC or Bagger vs a Harley or the new Indian Pursuit as being a bargain starting at $25K for the TC vs $30K for a Pursuit or $29K for an Ultra Limited. With a bike that stands out from the masses and is a bargain, I expect the next couple years will be very positive for the R18.
I thought the UDF was because they were so slow?

@TCClassic as others have said, the deal you're getting is pretty good. But the dealer forcing you to go for BMW's EasyRide financing is a big red flag and may not even be legal. EasyRide is just a short-term loan with a balloon payment. You'd be far better off with 0.9% for 60 months.

For comparison, I just made a deal here in northern California for a 2021 R18 Classic First Edition, loaded like yours, for $18,820 out-the-door. My sales tax rate is 7.75%, perhaps higher than yours. But still a pretty good deal given all the incentives that BMW Motorrad is offering. As far as I know, they will allow me to stack the incentives and go for $3,000 in customer cash, 0.9% financing for 60 months, and six months free payments. What's not to like?! :cool:
Wow! I'm looking to negotiate an R18 C FE this week. I didn't realize you could stack both incentives - the $3000 customer cash and the financing at -.9% with the first 6 mos free. Such a deal!

Wow! I'm looking to negotiate an R18 C FE this week. I didn't realize you could stack both incentives - the $3000 customer cash and the financing at -.9% with the first 6 mos free. Such a deal!
Just a FYI, I bought my R18 C FE a week ago, adverised price was $14,995., $16,010 OTD.

Can you please clarify? Did the advertised price include the $3,000 customer cash and the $2,000 resulting from the $2,000 in 6 mo initial payments?
I paid cash so I didn't get the benefit of the 6 months payments.
The dealer had their own discount plus the $3,000 BMW cash to arrive at their price. I could have financed it and also get the 6 months payments.
Also, if you buy the First Edition, don't forget the FE gift box.

I paid cash so I didn't get the benefit of the 6 months payments.
The dealer had their own discount plus the $3,000 BMW cash to arrive at their price. I could have financed it and also get the 6 months payments.
Thank you for that. An R18 C FE for $14,995 sounds like a fantastic price. Enjoy the bike!

While I sold the Road Glide and had the ability to pay cash, I went ahead with the BMW .9% financing and the 6mos worth of payments. These are simple interest notes with no early payoff penalty. When my Sept payment is due, BMW will get the payoff. BMW will allow you to be flexible on the term/months. Technically, you could finance the minimum $$. I'm sure there's a minimum amt to finance and still get the 6mos of payments. I think the max BMW contribution per month is $333.

While I sold the Road Glide and had the ability to pay cash, I went ahead with the BMW .9% financing and the 6mos worth of payments. These are simple interest notes with no early payoff penalty. When my Sept payment is due, BMW will get the payoff. BMW will allow you to be flexible on the term/months. Technically, you could finance the minimum $$. I'm sure there's a minimum amt to finance and still get the 6mos of payments. I think the max BMW contribution per month is $333.
I could have paid cash myself but why? The financing was so good it almost prohibits paying cash. I put down a total of about $5k..I took out a 3 yr loan with their financing...After they make the first 6 payments, the balance left will only cost me $150!...No brainer..

Yep. Deal I ended up with was a net of $15,500 out the door after all incentives and payments. My bike is a fully loaded, non demo, R18 Classic FE with floor boards. As mentioned. at .9% the money is incredibly cheap. Makes borrowing a relative no brainer. If things go sideways I'll pay off the loan once BMW makes their payments. I bought the last R18C my dealer had in stock. When I bought mine they said BMW doesn't have any more 2021 R18C's in the warehouse. The great deals some have seen may be winding down. Glad I bought mine when I did! Hope I can still say that after getting some miles on it and testing reliability. Buying a first model year from mother BMW hasn't always gone well for me. Couldn't help myself with this beautiful bike and the deals offered though.

Yep. Deal I ended up with was a net of $15,500 out the door after all incentives and payments. My bike is a fully loaded, non demo, R18 Classic FE with floor boards. As mentioned. at .9% the money is incredibly cheap. Makes borrowing a relative no brainer. If things go sideways I'll pay off the loan once BMW makes their payments. I bought the last R18C my dealer had in stock. When I bought mine they said BMW doesn't have any more 2021 R18C's in the warehouse. The great deals some have seen may be winding down. Glad I bought mine when I did! Hope I can still say that after getting some miles on it and testing reliability. Buying a first model year from mother BMW hasn't always gone well for me. Couldn't help myself with this beautiful bike and the deals offered though.
Hi TCClassic,

Just so that we're not comparing apples and oranges, for clarity was your $15,500 out the door price irrespective of state tax? Further, does this $15,500 include, or not, the $2,000 in payments that BMW covers in the first 6 months?

Thanks!

Hi TCClassic,

Just so that we're not comparing apples and oranges, for clarity was your $15,500 out the door price irrespective of state tax? Further, does this $15,500 include, or not, the $2,000 in payments that BMW covers in the first 6 months?

Thanks!
@OilHead ,

That is the cost of my deal after including Michigan sales tax of 6% and the cost of a plate. My financed amount on the deal was $17,500 (in round numbers) before BMW makes six, $333.00 payments. I didn't put any money down. After BMW makes a total of $2,000 in payments, my remaining "net" cost is $15,500 (again in round numbers)..

F196B342-A92E-4FDE-A470-E0CD255E8C3D.jpeg

Here is a picture of my bike (still at the dealer) with the weekender saddle and rider backrest set up as a solo mount. My wife rides two up on my 1250GSA, so the R18C will be in this guise most often.

If you guys don't mind confirming, so that I'm not comparing apples:eek:ranges when I speak to the dealer tomorrow...

@DG6n26 : R18 C FE Loaded. Price paid $14,995. This must have included the $3,000 in customer cash plus an additional dealer discount. This is irrespective of the $2,000 in free payments as you paid cash. I assume the bike didn't have floor boards.
@TCClassic : fully loaded, non demo, R18 Classic FE with floor boards. Price paid. $15,500.
@WaydeG : R18 Classic (FE?) was 16733.00 out the door, but that included Texas sales tax. Reduce that by 6.25% so the negotiated price before tax was more like $15,700.

If I'm interpreting this all correctly, I should be able to negotiate the R18 C FE with floorboards to $15,500 (between $14,995 and 15,700) and still take the financing deal with BMW picking up the first $2000 in payments, which I would intend to do. This means the dealer would need to discount the list price down to $18,500 before applying the customer cash of $3,000, and there should be no hidden set-up, freight or other charges. Correct?

Thanks guys!

@OilHead ,

That is the cost of my deal after including Michigan sales tax of 6% and the cost of a plate. My financed amount on the deal was $17,500 (in round numbers) before BMW makes six, $333.00 payments. I didn't put any money down. After BMW makes a total of $2,000 in payments, my remaining "net" cost is $15,500 (again in round numbers)..
Thanks. So, your before-tax price would have been $16,500. That's what I'm most concerned with - how far the price can be negotiated down (including customer cash) before financing but without sales tax, since that's state dependent.

If you guys don't mind confirming, so that I'm not comparing apples:eek:ranges when I speak to the dealer tomorrow...

@DG6n26 : R18 C FE Loaded. Price paid $14,995. This must have included the $3,000 in customer cash plus an additional dealer discount. This is irrespective of the $2,000 in free payments as you paid cash. I assume the bike didn't have floor boards.
@TCClassic : fully loaded, non demo, R18 Classic FE with floor boards. Price paid. $15,500.
@WaydeG : R18 Classic (FE?) was 16733.00 out the door, but that included Texas sales tax. Reduce that by 6.25% so the negotiated price before tax was more like $15,700.

If I'm interpreting this all correctly, I should be able to negotiate the R18 C FE with floorboards to $15,500 (between $14,995 and 15,700) and still take the financing deal with BMW picking up the first $2000 in payments, which I would intend to do. This means the dealer would need to discount the list price down to $18,500 before applying the customer cash of $3,000, and there should be no hidden set-up, freight or other charges. Correct?

Thanks guys!
NOT correct as far as my deal is concerned. As mentioned, I financed $17,500 after discounts were applied, sales tax of 6% was paid, and a plate was purchased. BMW will make six payments worth $2,000. My resulting "net" cost is then $15,500 after ALL incentives including BMW's six payments. My finance rate is .9%.

Thanks. So, your before-tax price would have been $16,500. That's what I'm most concerned with - how far the price can be negotiated down (including customer cash) before financing but without sales tax, since that's state dependent.
Yes, that's correct. Just keep in mind that inventory seems to be dwindling. That may impact dealer flexibility. However, current incentives are set to expire the end of this month. Dealers may not want to carry inventory into the next quarter as incentives rarely improve the closer we get to riding season. The best deal will involve a bit of "chess" on both sides.

Back