What did you do to your R18 today?

Beautiful work! That's the kind of engineering that I would like to see in order to mount "driving lights" each side of the headlamp.
Using these lamps...

But having the bodies powder coated gloss black, with the lamp bezels chrome, like the OEM headlamp. With nice, gloss black tubular mounts, I think that they would sell like hot cakes.
We have been painting motorcycle accessories for 20 years, glossy black paint looks good on details that are not used. something is constantly put on and taken off the rack or the pannier/bag frame. the black gloss will be all scratched after a while. the fine structure is much more resistant

We have been painting motorcycle accessories for 20 years, glossy black paint looks good on details that are not used. something is constantly put on and taken off the rack or the pannier/bag frame. the black gloss will be all scratched after a while. the fine structure is much more resistant
You replied to the wrong post, but that's OK.
Now I'm hoping that you'll turn your talents toward making a mount for passing lamps, as I described above.
;)

Came home from the hospital Wednesday Afternoon; and went to bed. Wasted all day yesterday (not wasted!); so today I went out to tweak the fit of the seat. Fairly easy just moving the brackets in or out.

With two attachment points (front/rear) I was a little concerned about stability but it’s a solid fit; no wiggle or wobble - at 500 miles (if not needed sooner) I’ll check tightness of the mounts.

7469F024-AF48-4148-8F5D-A24FAAD52479.jpeg
56CC820E-A2B7-4333-ABF1-9B18BAF148B8.jpeg431673DE-1E02-450C-8A96-A598018E545A.jpeg

I took some parts of my R18 and added pinstripe. Picked them up from the painter today. Install tomorrow along with pictures.
View attachment 393
Looks good!
I was thinking about doing the same to the front fork, à la the prototype. I'm uncertain about adding the grey/silver metal flake (gradient?) inserts. The black on our R18 is already slightly metallic. Decisions.

7F492F0E-1268-4BD2-AED7-629C898F24D0.jpeg

I took some parts of my R18 and added pinstripe. Picked them up from the painter today. Install tomorrow along with pictures.
WOW! The updated parts look fantastic! BMW should be taking notes!
I've been considering a front fender that gives more coverage. Maybe a fender from the 60s era machines. It just seems that such a brief front fender doesn't do much to protect the front of the engine or oil cooler. For me, if it were to happen it would have to have the same paint and pin striping that your work has.
Fine job!!!!

Last edited:
Today I just rode it!
It's got about 205 miles on it and it's fantastic. It's getting about 43 MPG and I wouldn't care if it got 10 MPG!!!!
Holy mackerel, it makes TORQUE! I can ride all day, having a blast! and never exceed 3000 RPM!

WOW! The apdated parts look fantastic! BMW should be taking notes!
I've been considering a front fender that gives more coverage. Maybe a fender from the 60s era machines. It just seems that such a brief front fender doesn't do much to protect the front of the engine or oil cooler. For me, if it were to happen it would have to have the same paint and pin striping that your work has.
Fine job!!!!
Thank you

Looks good!
I was thinking about doing the same to the front fork, à la the prototype. I'm uncertain about adding the grey/silver metal flake (gradient?) inserts. The black on our R18 is already slightly metallic. Decisions.

View attachment 410
Thank you, I thought about that as well. I came to the conclusion it was just to much

Back