What did you do to your R18 today?

Today I installed the stainless steel screen onto the oil cooler to protect it from rocks, etc. I also removed the rear brake pedal to see if I could modify it to sit lower than the top of the foot peg. Alas, that idea was not totally successful. I was planning on modifying the protruding stop-tab on the pedal by drilling it and tapping it to add a M6 screw for adjustment. But I was not confident that the modification wouldn't weaken it too much and if it broke off, the pedal would have to be replaced. So I just added another piece of thick rubber hose to the same tab. Coupled with the piece of hose on the upper stop-tab it lowered the pedal a little bit more. It'll do.

oil cooler.jpg

Muck - my "pedal" problem was I was sitting too low with the stock two piece saddle; my heels were on the foot pegs; not convenient for easy manipulating the brake and shifter pedals.

As you know I bought a Corbin "Gun Fighter" saddle to replace the stock seat. As with the Corbin Saddle I bought for my R1200C Corbin's "build your seat" asks for your height and weight. When I installed the new saddle and sat on the bike for the first time my feet were centered on the foot pegs - making shifting and braking a whole lot easier.

The BMW Sales Manager where I bought my R-18 stopped by to see the Gun Fighter Saddle installed; he was quite impressed on the difference the new saddle made. BMW USA sent him a survey asking about the rider complaints; his #1 complaint received was seating is too low for most people. If seat height is an issue - as I suspect it is my solution was the Corbin Saddle.

Muck - my "pedal" problem was I was sitting too low with the stock two piece saddle; my heels were on the foot pegs; not convenient for easy manipulating the brake and shifter pedals.

As you know I bought a Corbin "Gun Fighter" saddle to replace the stock seat. As with the Corbin Saddle I bought for my R1200C Corbin's "build your seat" asks for your height and weight. When I installed the new saddle and sat on the bike for the first time my feet were centered on the foot pegs - making shifting and braking a whole lot easier.

The BMW Sales Manager where I bought my R-18 stopped by to see the Gun Fighter Saddle installed; he was quite impressed on the difference the new saddle made. BMW USA sent him a survey asking about the rider complaints; his #1 complaint received was seating is too low for most people. If seat height is an issue - as I suspect it is my solution was the Corbin Saddle.

When I ordered my R18 I included the "Weekender Seat", but it's on backorder. When it comes in, maybe it'll make a difference in the foot-to-pedal interface as well. Truth to tell, I rarely use the rear brake and just want the pedal out of the way. Lowering it helps, while retaining it's use on the occasion that I do use it..

Installed chrome spacers between the stem and the dash. I did this ostensibly to maximize it's view from the saddle (after changing to thicker fastback seat), but the change makes only marginal difference. Maybe a hair. Half a hair. The real benefit is that it snugs-up the space betwixt headlamp and dash, which I prefer visually. There's enough slack in the lines and I changed out existing M6 bolts to slightly longer ones.

386B4DEB-9F65-418A-AF68-D9B9B4B35D8D.jpeg
EBD118EC-6C52-4A60-A5C6-586162C0B568.jpeg

The chrome spacer seems counterintuitive, I would think to make the dash in a clearer view you would move it up away from the headlight. I understand the pilot sits higher providing a better angle to the dash in a lower position. When you installed the taller seat was something blocking the view to the dash or giving you a reflection effecting readability. Directing you to make the adjustment?

The chrome spacer seems counterintuitive, I would think to make the dash in a clearer view you would move it up away from the headlight. I understand the pilot sits higher providing a better angle to the dash in a lower position. When you installed the taller seat was something blocking the view to the dash or giving you a reflection effecting readability. Directing you to make the adjustment?

I got nothin'. It shouldn't make any difference. Having it 3/8th of an inch down and away is an inconsequential change. I was probably slouching a bit.

This little guy arrived in the mail. It's identical to the emblem on the rear fender. I intended to put it on the front fender, you know, because symmetry and such. After seeing that beautiful fender from DK, I'll hold off.

F661F150-BB26-4C42-B9D8-4E4623ED125B.jpeg

Received my Floorboards and associated hardware for mounting same. Headed to Daytona Beach for Bike week so mounting will have to wait until my return.

55554100-CA47-4991-B912-E554F613F4AE.jpegED52D97B-BCEC-47C7-AD5A-DFF671BC4ED9.jpeg1133491F-B369-4815-B85A-E1DB8FD1092F.jpeg28BDD76F-4114-4FDE-B707-7FF3B60A7E5C.jpeg

Any idea if the floorboards will effect lean angle? More? Less? Same? I've never owned a motorcycle with 'em but....so shiny

Any idea if the floorboards will effect lean angle? More? Less? Same? I've never owned a motorcycle with 'em but....so shiny
I really have no personal knowledge to address your question. I did as much research as I could before purchasing them, and came to,the conclusion they would be the same lean angle clearance. That being said there is very little data available and it is confusing because of all the flack with R18’s suspension being locked in shipping mode or not adjusted properly. Because the option of floorboards or pegs is totally interchangeable I decided to order the boards for rider comfort and if it restricts lean angle I can always revert back. Sorry I can’t provide you with a more definitive answer.

Last edited:
My R18 has the floorboards from origin, and I'm sure they don't give less lean angle.
The first time I tried an R18 I immediately scrapped the pegs, but it took me a long time before I did it with the floorboards and it is still rare today after more than 1700km

Back