What did you do to your R18 today?

I finally got around to installing the K&N filter I have had sitting on my desk for a few months now. If you are thinking of replacing your air filter on your own, you will definitely need a long necked torx tool of some type to get to the screws holding the engine cover halves together.

I also decided to remove the plastic air hoses and dremel the air filter cover to open it up (much like what the DNA stage 2 kit does). It was an easy modification (with the right tools) and everything seems to be running smoothly. I hope to go for a longer ride here in the next day or two to see how it works.

Lastly, I also installed a prototype LRS windshield (20 inch) and got a chance to ride with it a bit earlier today. Worked much better than the stock windshield.

@HanseDavion Two mounting screws hold the Speedo in place. One screw holds the Speedo Into the housing. Electrical unplugs from inside the housing.

I could not figure the official way to remove the chrome ring. Maybe you will. I did some creative rotating then I lightly pried. Clipped a bit of plastic, no harm done.

Goes back the same way except with only the two mounting screws.

What's the little shelf on the cylinder head? A foot rest? A bumper? Where did it come from?
Bumper is a good description. The intention is to protect the head if the bike is dropped. It came from DK Designs. I do not recommend them. They advertise "High Protection with Rubber Blocks". The guard actually damaged the chrome cylinder head cover upon installation. I reached out to them and was told that two other customers had the same issue. Their solution was a 15% discount on my next order.

The other day, while making a very rudimentary mod to my R18, I managed to snap the chrome half-moon cover at the back of the seat. I had installed the Holan narrow QR rack onto the fender and placed the cover over the top and proceeded to tighten the bolt to secure the seat (Mustang Day Rider), but couldn't get it tight enough to stop the seat from moving very slightly. I gave the bolt another turn and it cracked the cover. In hindsight, I should have used a spacer under the cover. Some pictures FYI.

I only mention this because the replacement cover set me back £103! Be careful with your covers!

Attachments

• tempImageN0RuCD.png
    tempImageN0RuCD.png
    13.8 MB · Views: 20
  • tempImageWqu7H1.png
    tempImageWqu7H1.png
    13.9 MB · Views: 20
  • tempImage6KwZNi.png
    tempImage6KwZNi.png
    11.4 MB · Views: 20
I installed the Leg Rest Supports yesterday - installation is very easy and straight forward; I'm not crazy about how they look though, nor do I think I'll actually use them. They were included at the initial purchase of my R18 B FE; the dealer called me yesterday in order to let me know they arrived. Last Sunday, I was on the bike for 8 hrs. and I felt pretty comfortable without the leg rest supports; I'm hoping to get out for a long riding day this weekend to see if I'll actually use them.

Attachments

• R18 Leg Rest Install.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 18
I installed the Leg Rest Supports yesterday - installation is very easy and straight forward; I'm not crazy about how they look though, nor do I think I'll actually use them. They were included at the initial purchase of my R18 B FE; the dealer called me yesterday in order to let me know they arrived. Last Sunday, I was on the bike for 8 hrs. and I felt pretty comfortable without the leg rest supports; I'm hoping to get out for a long riding day this weekend to see if I'll actually use them.
An additional note: I noticed that the mounting hardware for the Leg Rest Supports was manufactured by Touratech

On that note, The Bagger and TransContinental Windscreens are manufactured by National Cycle (ZTechnik) that's why they haven't announced any windscreens for the R18 yet. They're already making them for BMW. I saw the NC logo on the bagger windscreen. it's hard to see.

Went camping:
hO7Ra8N.jpeg
QItbnmE.jpeg
7Oz7nu8.jpeg

Ordered some lights:
NU432wu.png

Back