What did you do to your R18 today?

Today I installed the Grip Puppies on my R18TC. They fit just right but I had to wrestle them onto the grips. Thought for a moment I might damage them given how hard I pulled and stretched to get them on.
I used hair spray on the grips and Grip Puppies. I can't recall where I learned that hack but it works on grips and luckily it work on the Grip Puppies.

I used hair spray on the grips and Grip Puppies. I can't recall where I learned that hack but it works on grips and luckily it work on the Grip Puppies.
Hey Lloydw1,
I bought the wunderlich chrome oil cooler cover after seeing yours and really like it.
Then I cranked up the pocket book another notch and bought the Wunderlich saddle bag guards. Boy are the sweet lookin’.
Will post a pic soon.

Wow, the BMW website is a nightmare ! ! ! Yesterday I got my long awaited Crash bars, came home and after giving up on the BMW web for instructions, I flew by the seat of my pants and the job was done in little time... NOW HEAR ME ON THIS! ! ! Forget the after market JUNK, the BMW crash bars are really FINE ! ! ! They were worth the price and the wait ! !!

The flip wings or winglets come standard on the R18TC. To buy them for the R18B, I would order from MAX BMW. I have ordered lots and lots of BMW parts from these guys and they ship promptly. Occasionally I order by phone and in this case I would call them. Ask to speak with parts then tell them you want the winglets.

I dont know what they cost but am thinking not too steep. The bracket is metal but the winglets are a clear plastic. I need to find out the price myself actually.

Loaded up the bike and took it down to MaxBMW. They informed me I had a pretty large software update that prohibited them from just doing a retrofit coding for my newly installed top box. Instead of a 30 minute appointment, it was going to take 4-10 hours since my software needed to be updated before they could make any changes. It's just time on a lift so no bill to me for that time but it had to stay overnight. So I'll have to pick it up next week.

e705TUS.jpeg

That is inconvenient to say the least, but in the end you will be Transcontinentalized.
I’m thinking I have a massive software update too. My nearest dealer is 200 miles away.

That is inconvenient to say the least, but in the end you will be Transcontinentalized.
I’m thinking I have a massive software update too. My nearest dealer is 200 miles away.

They were right that it was a quick job but they didn't know the bike they sold me a month ago was already out of date and I guess BMW's system requires software be up to date before modifications are made which makes sense to me being in the software world. "It could take 2 hours, it could take 10" so even though it's 200 miles round trip, I had to leave it there. :(

Maybe this software update will fix my issues with smartphone music playback. At the end of every song in iTunes on iPhone, it stops play back and I can't resume unless I unlock my phone and restart the play button. If I hit next song with the jog wheel before the song ends, it's fine. very annoying and makes TFT playback useless. Maybe that bug will get fixed.

They were right that it was a quick job but they didn't know the bike they sold me a month ago was already out of date and I guess BMW's system requires software be up to date before modifications are made which makes sense to me being in the software world. "It could take 2 hours, it could take 10" so even though it's 200 miles round trip, I had to leave it there. :(

Maybe this software update will fix my issues with smartphone music playback. At the end of every song in iTunes on iPhone, it stops play back and I can't resume unless I unlock my phone and restart the play button. If I hit next song with the jog wheel before the song ends, it's fine. very annoying and makes TFT playback useless. Maybe that bug will get fixed.
On the issue of music, I am so sold on Sirius XM that I have not experimented with the music functions. I simply launch the XM app on my phone, place it in the phone compartment and drive on.

Well then, let’s see, it was done all in leather and I love it. Every bit as good as the RDL saddles I have had in the past. Seat feels like it was custom foamed to my posterior. I went out for a four hour ride the other day and never felt the need to shift around. Oh and by the way, Utopia Back rests are working on a backrest for the Transcontinental as we speak, should be ready in one or two weeks for those wanting to order one (you will need a saddle with the original seat pan as the mounting stalk will utilize the hole originally used for the passenger grab strap).

Well then, let’s see, it was done all in leather and I love it. Every bit as good as the RDL saddles I have had in the past. Seat feels like it was custom foamed to my posterior. I went out for a four hour ride the other day and never felt the need to shift around. Oh and by the way, Utopia Back rests are working on a backrest for the Transcontinental as we speak, should be ready in one or two weeks for those wanting to order one (you will need a saddle with the original seat pan as the mounting stalk will utilize the hole originally used for the passenger grab strap).
Cool. Most people think padding is the answer. It’s not. The most comfortable and popular long distance touring bicycle saddle is a brooks. Which is simply leather that you soften to conform to your sit bones. It has zero padding.

Psi is the issue with saddles, so having the seat conform to YOUR entire butt and upper thighs is the key. More area in contact with you is less psi in any one particular area. (The dreaded hot spot)

Last edited:
Hey Lloydw1,
I bought the wunderlich chrome oil cooler cover after seeing yours and really like it.
Then I cranked up the pocket book another notch and bought the Wunderlich saddle bag guards. Boy are the sweet lookin’.
Will post a pic soon.
I finally received my luggage guards also. They do look amazing! Now I have to work some overtime to reduce this added credit card debt! lol

I finally received my luggage guards also. They do look amazing! Now I have to work some overtime to reduce this added credit card debt! lol
Yeah those luggage guards got me for $750 but I’m glad they are on. Look great.

I'm thinking the weight is similar to the original stem so as to not require a rebalance.

Back