What did you do to your R18 today?

Today I brought my R18 to the dealer in Chattanooga for the first service. They did a fine job and I was pleasantly surprised to get a bill that was less than anticipated. The only "fly in the ointment" was the realization (by the service folks AND myself) that the R18 requires a NEW final drive lubricant that's different from all,m of the other BMWs and, as a result, the dealership had none on hand. So I will probably change the final gear lube later WHEN BMW SUPPLIES THE NEW LUBE TO THE DEALERS or when I learn what the new specs are and obtained it myself.
I still thinking why the dealer charge us the first service. Strictly talking the 1st service is not a service, is an adjustment of the bike because the dealer needs to know if everything was ok from factory and viceversa (the factory wants to know if there si something wrong with the bike or with the assembly by the dealer). I paid more than expected

Last edited:
The first service for my R18 was not only checking and adjustment.
It includes changes of engine oil with filter and transmission oil.
My dealer charged me only for oil, filter and small components; the labor hours were offered

The first service for my R18 was not only checking and adjustment.
It includes changes of engine oil with filter and transmission oil.
My dealer charged me only for oil, filter and small components; the labor hours were offered
Yes, all the fluids changes are made. But, again, strictly talking, those changes are necessary not because the use of the machine, is because it’s new, and the transport “issues” from factory to different countries / dealers. In short: the first service is because of the machine and not related to the owner.

I agree that the labor for the first service should be free and, as mentioned above, some dealerships do just that. In my case, I wanted to "support" my local dealership by letting them do the first service. Truth to tell, the prices for the oil and filter were (as expected) ridiculously high, even though I expect that they were standard BMW retail pricing.
In the future, I will most likely do all of the remaining maintenance as I do on all of my other vehicles. But I would like to obtain a service manual on the R18 so I would be armed with all the needed specs. AND I'm hoping that there is a way to reset the onboard service scheduling without some expensive dealer-only gadget. The shop manual for my Indian Roadmaster gives me that information.

but it has a curled tail up. we would have to make a horizontal rack. And such a rack has no mounting points, it is a top-case. Can you deal with it?
If you do a flat one I'll buy the first one in production.
It will be compatible with the Corbin seat.
I'll take it with the passenger backrest only, which will be removed when the rack/top case will be installed.
I've found the matching top case for our road trips. I think it will take no more than 10 mn to take on/off the whole assembly, rack & case, when needed.
Local or solo riding without.
And I'll will deal easily setting it with the kit they deliver with the case.

CORBIN SADDLE ok.jpg

Attachments

• Top case5.jpg
    Top case5.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I've ordered the engine protection skid plate.
I already had an impact on these f.....g !! bumps they put everywhere to make you slowing down .. :mad:

I already had an impact on these f.....g !! bumps they put everywhere to make you slowing down .. :mad:

Yeah. Europe is speed bump crazy. And you have all sorts of different designs. But the good news is that you also have fewer police out on the roads than we do in America.

It looks very stiff

What is the delivery cost to France ?

Since I'm far from the bike I was wondering, and I'm still ,where the bolts are taking place
I asked them, no need to touch the oil pan bolts at least.

Last edited:
Since I'm far from the bike I was wondering, and I'm still ,where the bolts are taking place
I asked them, no need to touch the oil pan bolts at least.

Had a look on the bike ; they use the existing threaded holes under the engine at the front and the exhausts support ones at the back

Today I brought my R18 to the dealer in Chattanooga for the first service. They did a fine job and I was pleasantly surprised to get a bill that was less than anticipated. The only "fly in the ointment" was the realization (by the service folks AND myself) that the R18 requires a NEW final drive lubricant that's different from all,m of the other BMWs and, as a result, the dealership had none on hand. So I will probably change the final gear lube later WHEN BMW SUPPLIES THE NEW LUBE TO THE DEALERS or when I learn what the new specs are and obtain it myself.

Hi Mucker - the gear lube should be this one:

Hypoid Axle Oil G3 (83222460128)

I got this from an BMW Online Dealership in Germany (where I usually order my parts): https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatzteile/view/btdetail/?series=k34&typ=0l11&og=06&hg=02&bt=02_0294

Best, McEnroe

What did I do? I took it for a ride! I was able to watch the odometer roll past 1,000 miles. Between inclement weather, a hospital stay with pneumonia, and trying to keep the wife smiling it’s been a slight struggle to ride like I want to. :(

As the weather improves here in the Land of the Alamo my mileage will climb. When I bought my 98 R1200C I put 25,000 miles on it in 16 months. The daily commute of a 70 mile round trip 5 days a week helped a little!

See post #109

Holan! How’s about a little credit, buddy? I am flattered though.

Attachments

• 5C85AC29-C6A5-4B08-B5C8-1D8A3C3286D3.png
    5C85AC29-C6A5-4B08-B5C8-1D8A3C3286D3.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reactions: avi
Back