What did you do to your R18 today?

Ok, I have just installed the Wunderlich leather sleeves and the oil cooler grill.
I purchased the sleeves to add a touch of class, however, although they look amazing on the flesh and to certain degree they may absorb a little bit of vibrations from the handle bars, they feel a little bit slippery, especially the throttle one. My gloves are made of dear skin so I hope the leather on the sleeves will turn less slippery with use and wear.

The grill is a nice addition and I think adds a bit of a sporty look. It comes with rubber gaskets all around for protection against the sharp metal ends, however, installing the grill with the rubber gaskets prevents a flush fitting, therefore I removed them and it now sits perfectly. The instructions does not call for the removal of the gaskets.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpeg
    IMG_0157.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0156.jpeg
    IMG_0156.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0154.jpeg
    IMG_0154.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0155.jpeg
    IMG_0155.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 57
I gave a detailed wash, claying, swirl/scratch removal, polishing, surface prep to remove previous chemicals and installed a ceramic finish. Total time between 6-7 hours. It was tougher to do than I thought it would be. I can see where I made some mistakes with high spots on the ceramic coating that I might address later but overall I’m happy I did it. The bike has 134 miles on it and I keep my bikes very clean so I wasn’t removing layers of crud. In hindsight I am not sure it was worth claying it. Everything else I’d do again. View attachment 11221

View attachment 11220
Great work man! What a ride!

Where'd you get the saddlebag guards?

I guess this is the OEM engine guard Chinese knockoff. The threaded hole you bolt each half together with needed a tap run through the paint. It is also slightly uneven. You only really notice if you're actively trying to spot it. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or not. Seems sturdy enough to handle a "forgot the kickstand" style drop. I can rest my heel/achilles on the pipe and my calves barely touch the jugs.

Attachments

• 1000001819.jpg
    1000001819.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 27
It was really easy to remove the exhaust servos. Just make sure you order 2 Servo Buddies, our bikes have 2 separate servos.
Yes I knew that :) .. thanks for reminding me .. I had talked to RevZilla after your post (there is where I buy quite a few things) and they were not sure at that time what the part number is .. because on their site it does not list the R18, they referred me to 'Woodcraft' I guess they are the main distributor for 'Servo Buddy' (Woodcraft Link) I called them and now I had a parts number and when I put that one (42-2757 Servo Buddy) in the search at RevZilla it came up with the one you had posted.
Thanks again!

Trying to save having to buy a new helmet.... the Shoei Glamster I have is nice and light.... but wind noise is soooo loud at 50+mph... and 80% of my riding is >50. So out with the sewing kit.....

Big space where ear goes....

20230818_161329.jpg

So made a multi layer infill.....

20230818_161412(0).jpg

I ride with earplugs... so new lid if this doesn't work. The Glamster is a city lid in my view... or a country lid for the already deaf.

Ul
Yes I knew that :) .. thanks for reminding me .. I had talked to RevZilla after your post (there is where I buy quite a few things) and they were not sure at that time what the part number is .. because on their site it does not list the R18, they referred me to 'Woodcraft' I guess they are the main distributor for 'Servo Buddy' (Woodcraft Link) I called them and now I had a parts number and when I put that one (42-2757 Servo Buddy) in the search at RevZilla it came up with the one you had posted.
Thanks again!
Ulrich, the servos that I installed are the ones in the link below. They fit and work perfectly even if the R18 is not listed on the Revzilla website.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...e_&utm_campaign=27795&utm_term=Sovrn Commerce

Ul

Ulrich, the servos that I installed are the ones in the link below. They fit and work perfectly even if the R18 is not listed on the Revzilla website.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/servo-buddy-bmw-2010-2017?sku_id=1185159&irclickid=UOn1cOzaIxyPT7EyAhTydzFMUkF3naxz3xKGUE0&irgwc=1&utm_source=Impact&utm_medium=affiliate_&utm_campaign=27795&utm_term=Sovrn Commerce
Thanks! It is indeed .. I just ordered them ... with a little luck they will get here by next weekend 😁

Removed the BMW knockoff engine guard and installed the DK knockoff engine guard. Fitment was crooked. Tried to loosen up and move things around a bit but nothing really helped. Resorted to a bit of brute force and elbow grease to tweak the thing into place. The weld inside one of the tubes holding the threaded insert gave way in the process.

Knockoff BMW style engine guard is back on.

Attachments

• 1000001916.jpg
    1000001916.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 39
  • 1000001918.jpg
    1000001918.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 38
  • 1000001919.jpg
    1000001919.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 38
It sure does !!!
... and I just finished changing the final drive oil ... it has been 9000 miles .. I think I was due ;)

EDIT: .. you ought to take her through the 'cork screw' at Laguna Seica !!!

Started in on the 6,000 mile service. So far not impressed with what equates to a brand new motorcycle. I was tired of always having to “fix” something when maintaining my old bikes. One of the deciding factors in buying a brand new bike. Valve adjustment was a cinch. 👍🏼 Any trick to rotating the rear tire in 6th gear for turning over the motor? Yes spark plugs were removed. It was really hard to get the motor to turn. Changing the air filter is not only a bit of a pain but as others have stated here two of the four brass lower air-box thread inserts came out with lid screws still securely fastened. 🤦‍♂️ Could be worse. Clutch side metal housing has holes for two locating pins as does brake side housing. One pin in each side both at the front. Are there supposed to be a total of 4 locating pins 2 on each side? Fingers crossed 🤞🏼 I’ve encountered all the “challenges” I’ll face as I complete engine, final drive, transmission oil changes and brake fluid flush front and rear. I was originally going to have the bikes serviced at the dealer until out of warranty; however I was quoted $900 dollars for 6,000 mile service. I bought everything I need to service both my FE and TC for roughly $400 dollars including a few tools and an OBDLink LX. No complaints about that.

Back